The Student Room Group

I envy Oxford students so much!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Never read so much **** in my life OP.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I don't think anyone with knowledge of the interview system thinks it's infallible or anything semi-divine. Like everything else in life, it's not 100% fool-proof.

That said, it can be surprising how much you can gauge in 20-30 minutes :yes:

you said that the oxbridge interview system is not fool-proof ... but surely that is the whole point of it, to keep the fools out!!!
Original post by Miss_Scarlett
lol are you joking? :p:

Thanks for the info :smile:

why's it matter how old someone else is?
argumentum ad hominem is poor form.
Original post by Redreynard
you said that the oxbridge interview system is not fool-proof ... but surely that is the whole point of it, to keep the fools out!!!

Well yes. My point is that they don't 100% get it right all the time. That said, they get it right far more often than a lot of people on here would like to think :yes:
Reply 184
Why aspire to be that sort of middle class person. They're locked in to religion, domestic alcoholism and stopping their kids smoking as they try and be upper class.

All OXford means is that you were a hard worker from 14 to 18 and you could sound good for half an hour being interviewed. Jesus, pretty much everyone who gets in goes at 18-19, I don't think many people realise how young that is and therefore how unmeaningful that is when it comes to your working ability/intelligence.
Don't envy them too much. They're stuck for three to four years in a small, boring town in the middle of nowhere with no pub, bar, or club scene to speak of. There are no good shops, cinemas, or sports events there. Students need to to revise all day all week long and miss out on important parts of the university experience (partying, hanging out together). There are no part-time jobs or internship opportunities there, and all good employers are hundreds of miles away. I'd pick a top London school (Imperial, UCL, KCL, LSE, etc.) over Oxbridge any time (if I actually believed in differences between schools).
Reply 186
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Don't envy them too much. They're stuck for three to four years in a small, boring town in the middle of nowhere with no pub, bar, or club scene to speak of. There are no good shops, cinemas, or sports events there. Students need to to revise all day all week long and miss out on important parts of the university experience (partying, hanging out together). There are no part-time jobs or internship opportunities there, and all good employers are hundreds of miles away. I'd pick a top London school (Imperial, UCL, KCL, LSE, etc.) over Oxbridge any time (if I actually believed in differences between schools).

I have to say, I don't go to Oxford but the town is AMAZING. There is LOADS to do there, many pubs/clubs, it is NOT in the middle of nowhere and there are again, many job opportunities! Believe me, if you go to Oxford you're very likely to get an internship somewhere. I have no idea where you get your information from.
(edited 13 years ago)
My school thinks I'm not capable of Oxbridge, but I'll show them...
Original post by RobertWhite
I have to say, I don't go to Oxford but the town is AMAZING. There is LOADS to do there, many pubs/clubs, it is NOT in the middle of nowhere and there are again, many job opportunities! Believe me, if you go to Oxford you're very likely to get an internship somewhere. I have no idea where you get your information from.

Haven't been there, but been to Cambridge (same thing) and know people who go there. How can a town with 153k people have a proper bar/club scene? And how could it possibly compare to the one of a megacity like London? Of course it is in the middle of nowhere, you need to use public transport forever to get anywhere or have a car. Small cities have few retail businesses and gastronomy, so the number of student jobs is limited, and the job/student ratio surely is very unfavourable.
But what's the point in saying all this stuff now? Fair enough if you think it's that big a deal, but if you didn't work hard enough, or didn't get in, or didn't apply because that's not what you wanted etc. then that's how things were meant to be/turned out and you've just got to move forward with your own life. No point envying people who have stuff you can't change. But if you really think you're intellectually capable etc. then as has been mentioned, you could consider a postgraduate course there.
I'll admit, seeing a very large proportion of my friends going off to Oxford next year has left me feeling a little bit left out. Oxbridge don't do my course (Economics and Geography) so I applied and got offers from LSE and UCL which is super awesome, but I think for some time there'll always be an annoying voice in the back of my head asking why I didn't apply for Geography at Oxford, or Land Economy at Cambridge...
Reply 191
Haven't been there, but been to Cambridge (same thing) and know people who go there. How can a town with 153k people have a proper bar/club scene? And how could it possibly compare to the one of a megacity like London? Of course it is in the middle of nowhere, you need to use public transport forever to get anywhere or have a car. Small cities have few retail businesses and gastronomy, so the number of student jobs is limited, and the job/student ratio surely is very unfavourable.

What I'm saying is of course London is much better. But Oxford is a beautiful city with loads of things you can do with many pubs/clubs and a good nightlife. My brother goes to Gloucestershire university and got an internship and Microsoft; many student doing years out will live at home and travel to London.
you don't care about cambridge. what else don't you care about? do you care to know the whereabouts on your face that your mouth is such that you can eat? what sort of a basic level of functioning are you operating at??

A level above that manifest in those who care about Cambridge, or know that Oxford has a university
well loads of people are clever nowadays, now that they've lowered the exam standards!!!

Possessing high grades DO NOT in any way make you clever.
Original post by dioscuri
All OXford means is that you were a hard worker from 14 to 18 and you could sound good for half an hour being interviewed. Jesus, pretty much everyone who gets in goes at 18-19, I don't think many people realise how young that is and therefore how unmeaningful that is when it comes to your working ability/intelligence.

And what's wrong with that? (Also, entry to Oxford is not just about hard work).

Besides, if you get rejected at 18, there is always the option of postgraduate study.
Reply 195
Original post by im so academic
Possessing high grades DO NOT in any way make you clever.

Agreed; I've met many idiots with straight A's - not everyone who goes to private school is 'more intelligent'.
Don't envy them too much. They're stuck for three to four years in a small, boring town in the middle of nowhere with no pub, bar, or club scene to speak of.

You know nothing of Oxford.

There are no good shops, cinemas, or sports events there.

Oh really?

Students need to to revise all day all week long and miss out on important parts of the university experience (partying, hanging out together).

Ever heard of bops? There is something called "work hard, play hard".

There are no part-time jobs or internship opportunities there, and all good employers are hundreds of miles away.

Oxford has a system where you don't need to work during term time; essentially they give you the money so to speak. Also, Oxford has shorter terms = longer length of time for internship opportunities.

I'd pick a top London school (Imperial, UCL, KCL, LSE, etc.) over Oxbridge any time (if I actually believed in differences between schools).

Fair enough, but don't insult Oxford when you know nothing about it.

And where do you go?

Oh, London South Bank (!!!).

Before you insult other universities, why don't you take a look at your own university?
And what's wrong with that? (Also, entry to Oxford is not just about hard work).

Besides, if you get rejected at 18, there is always the option of postgraduate study.

Trust me on this one, entry into Oxbridge is all about hard work and practice.
Original post by RobertWhite

From total ignorance, presumably.
Reply 199
From total ignorance, presumably.

I've been to Oxford University on a course; unlike you I presume :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending