The Student Room Group

Hi I just want to ask, do my IGCSEs matter if I am applying from a school in the UK

I am going to the UK for sixth form this year, and I will finish my IGCSEs in my country before that. Will they compare my IGCSEs with GCSE scores of the students in the UK as I will be spending the last two years of high school in the UK and applying from a school there? I will have 9 IGCSEs at the time I go to the UK and the normal of my school is 6 (that’s the number of courses they’re providing for students). I am teaching myself the three extras. I think I will get 8 9s and one A for English (I am really bad at this). People told me that after the 2 years in the UK they will consider me as a local student, but then wouldn’t I be less competitive than others? (I am told that most applicants get a lot more GCSEs in the UK)
Original post by Alexandraaa012
I am going to the UK for sixth form this year, and I will finish my IGCSEs in my country before that. Will they compare my IGCSEs with GCSE scores of the students in the UK as I will be spending the last two years of high school in the UK and applying from a school there? I will have 9 IGCSEs at the time I go to the UK and the normal of my school is 6 (that’s the number of courses they’re providing for students). I am teaching myself the three extras. I think I will get 8 9s and one A for English (I am really bad at this). People told me that after the 2 years in the UK they will consider me as a local student, but then wouldn’t I be less competitive than others? (I am told that most applicants get a lot more GCSEs in the UK)

Just tell your referee to mention that your school only offered six and you self studied the rest. It will be fine. Secondly fyi, it’s not two years but three years of living in the UK prior to uni before you are counted as a home student, so just be aware of that. :smile: Best of luck
Thank you so much :> Just to make sure, will my IGCSEs be counted in the way international students’ are? Again, thank you so much! I am so worried these days
Original post by Alexandraaa012
Thank you so much :> Just to make sure, will my IGCSEs be counted in the way international students’ are? Again, thank you so much! I am so worried these days

IGCSEs are essentially an identical (or a near-identical) qualification to GCSEs, so yes I expect they would be viewed with equal weightage. This is not necessarily a bad thing, in fact in your case it will aid you as your IGCSE profile is very competitive for Oxford (eight 9s and an A are outstanding even for home students in the UK). Don’t be dissuaded by the artificially unrealistic grade profiles you see here on TSR (I got 25 A*s in my A levels, am I good enough for Oxford etc.) since this is not representative of the country as a whole. Even for the most competitive Oxford courses such as Law, PPE and possibly even Medicine, these IGCSEs will be an aid to your application not a hinderance, so don’t worry about it. Oxford will be pleased to see your very strong grade profile, but remember, GCSEs are merely one part of the holistic Oxbridge admissions system and admissions tests, personal statements, etc all play a part :smile:
NB: unis other than Oxbridge (and perhaps LSE) do not rely as much on GCSEs at all, so you really have nothing to worry about either way. If you’re not applying to Oxbridge or LSE, then your IGCSE grade profile is essentially perfect and will probably be amongst the top IGCSE profiles applicants. The only place where you would even need to consider whether your IGCSE grades are good enough is Oxbridge, and as I mentioned above, whether you’re viewed as an intl or a home student the weightage should be the same - and that’s something in your favour given the good grades you are hoping to achieve.
I understand now. Thank you so much! It is such a relief to hear that :> :>
You did 25 a levels???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending