The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1300
Original post by Stray_talk
Inception boggled my mind but I love films that do that, so I'm not about to complain. What do you mean by you've not watched it properly, did you fall asleep or something? :tongue: Old Leo was flawless in that although I did take a shine to Tom Hardy, too, great stuff.
I think GONY is just a film that'll never get along with me, won't convert me on this one :wink:

I've grown up with the SA accent around me so I knew it was off pretty much straightaway, hah. He did try but it's almost as bad as bad american actors getting Irish accents really wrong :tongue:

Haha, the first time I watched it I had to leave half way through. Then I watched it around a month or so ago (again) but was writing an assignment at the same time. Then it's just kind of repeated. So yeah, I've watched it a few times now but never really 'got into it' as my mind was pre-occupied. Saving it for when I literally have nothing to do!

Writing my dissertation at the moment and I did the same with Little Fockers tonight. Though, that's significantly less 'wtf!' than Inception :biggrin:

Anything in particular that puts you off GONY? You should watch the Blu-Ray - it's stunning :p:
Original post by Hedger

Original post by Hedger

Anything in particular that puts you off GONY? You should watch the Blu-Ray - it's stunning :p:

Do you know what, I don't really know. Perhaps it's a case of not really watching it properly like you mentioned before. I think it's one of those films that needs 110% concentration given, I was probably distracted at the time which added to it. Happened with The Social Network, I don't see the fuss with that film either but I imagine I was sidetracked by something then, also :tongue:
Re-watched Talented Mr Ripley, loved it. Anybody have any thoughts about the film?

Original post by loling909
Hi there :hi:

Yeah I was saying Scream and SAW need to up in your list :sexface:

Oh, my bad. Just noticed. It's hard to keep track of who is giving their favourite film, what people are randomly listing films and what people are actually making a genuine recommendation. But I agree with Scream and Saw (lets keep the sequels out for now :awesome:). Added.

Anyways, have you watched any films lately? Looking forward to any?

Original post by cambo211
Watching 'catch me if you can'.

Love this film :love:

Brilliant film. The idea of having a (honed) talent for deception (studying the mechanics and perfecting each lie) through which you can gets lots of money and never being caught, and then working for the government instead of going to jail by using your talents to stop others like yourself - is quite alluring. :ahee:

Inspirational in a sense. Being a true story adds to the film. Subconsciously arrange it in the same category as The Social Network.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Hedger
DiCaprio is my favourite out of the two. He's proven in such a wide variety of roles and films that he's, in my opinion, the best of his generation.

:confused: I'd have said Depp is proven in a wide variety roles whereas DiCaprio seems to play the emotional/vulnerable character most of the time. I obviously haven't seen all of each of their films though.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Re-watched Talented Mr Ripley, loved it. Anybody have any thoughts about the film?

Oh, my bad. Just noticed. It's hard to keep track of who is giving their favourite film, what people are randomly listing films and what people are actually making a genuine recommendation. But I agree with Scream and Saw (lets keep the sequels out for now :awesome:). Added.

Anyways, have you watched any films lately? Looking forward to any?

:mmm: No problemo señor.

Well since scream 4 just came out I thought I'd refresh on all the scream movies :gah:
I really want to watch POTC 4...:love:
I was watching Tron earlier...got a bit bored though :colonhash:
What else is coming out later this year...mmm....Beastly :dontknow:
I havn't seen scream 4 yet :mmm:
You?:colone:

Love that film, Matt Damon is so perfectly creepy :colone: I keep meaning to read the book actually...
I watched Chicken Run yesterday. :biggrin: (It's on iplayer.) Exactly what I needed amidst this dissertation stress. The characters were very well done, and the dialogue was fantastic. Right up there with my favourite animated films!
Reply 1307
Original post by mimimimi
I just watched Mysterious Skin... Really liked it, and not just because of JGL's hotness.

I really need to see that. Are you looking forward to Hesher finally being released?

My favourite 60 second interpretation of a film.

Scream 2 and Saw 2 should probably be included as well.

Original post by cambo211
Keep saying things like that and Phalanges'll come in and correct you about Depp.

Indeed. I can't remember ever hearing that Depp was wanted for Catch Me If You Can, but I know that it had a revolving door of directors for a while including Fincher, who would have made a completely different film given his polar opposite style to Spielberg. And I know that Spielberg dropped out of Big Fish to direct it, which worked out quite well.

Original post by Hedger
DiCaprio is my favourite out of the two. He's proven in such a wide variety of roles and films that he's, in my opinion, the best of his generation.

Completely disagree, Depp's had just as much range as DiCaprio. But they are completely different styles - DiCaprio is a guy that anchors the film and keeps it all together, whereas Depp is a flair actor. They're both exceptional at what they do.
Original post by SteveCrain
Sky anytime: chungking express or hot tub time machine or macgruber....hmmm

:closedeyes:

Seen Chungking express 2 or so years ago, quite liked it, old film but still pretty feel good

Watched a bit of Macgruber on Sky last night too xD wow, it was kinda funny, Macgrubers girlfriends' scenes were just lol worthy

Terminator Salvation - I liked it :indiff:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by loling909
:mmm: No problemo señor.

Well since scream 4 just came out I thought I'd refresh on all the scream movies :gah:
I really want to watch POTC 4...:love:
I was watching Tron earlier...got a bit bored though :colonhash:
What else is coming out later this year...mmm....Beastly :dontknow:
I havn't seen scream 4 yet :mmm:
You?:colone:

What else? There is so much to look forward to. A list right here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_in_film

I liked Scream 1 and 2. 3 not so much. Undecided on whether 4 is worth a watch. Will probably base my decision to watch 4 on some reviews. Might go today in fact. :teeth:

Tron: Legacy, or the original Tron? Pirates of the Caribbean does get a lot of hate, but I'm looking forward to it too. Hopefully it's more swashbuckling and less complicated threads that seem to go nowhere interesting.

Original post by gingerrama
Love that film, Matt Damon is so perfectly creepy :colone: I keep meaning to read the book actually...

There's a book? Shall go add that to the Amazon wishlist. :biggrin: (Limitless is also apparently adapted from a book).

He plays the role extremely well, it's good to see that side to his acting. And the creep factor doesn't go too overboard. The way he uses deception and manipulates his way out of extremely tense situations, it's sort of reminiscent of the tension you get from Dexter, if you've ever watched that?

What did you think of the ending to Mr Ripley?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Pi!
I really need to see that. Are you looking forward to Hesher finally being released?

I am! There are still a few films with JGL in that I haven't seen, but they all look a bit rubbish :frown: He's ace, though!

Mysterious Skin is awkward and a bit difficult to watch at times, but I really recommend it.
Reply 1312
I like the look of this.

Original post by lukejoshjedi

Original post by lukejoshjedi

Terminator Salvation - I liked it :indiff:

Me too :cool:
Reply 1314
Original post by mimimimi
I am! There are still a few films with JGL in that I haven't seen, but they all look a bit rubbish :frown: He's ace, though!

Mysterious Skin is awkward and a bit difficult to watch at times, but I really recommend it.

I'm probably going to skip GI Joe. Brick's pretty good, though.
Original post by Pi!
I'm probably going to skip GI Joe. Brick's pretty good, though.

I've seen Brick... Can't remember liking it that much, but I might give it another go one day! When I run out of other stuff to watch. I think I'm fine without G.I. Joe as well, haha :biggrin:
What's with the sudden explosion in Marvel comic films, lately?
Reply 1317
Original post by aja89
I like the look of this.

Me too.
So dramatic John C. Reilly and comedic John C. Reilly have finally merged, huh? This bizarre acting Super Saiyan is indeed unsettling, but the film itself looks promising :holmes:
^ Lol

Will Ferell has some funny projects upcoming, including a film entirely in Spanish, the name escapes me but yeah, wow

Quick Reply

Latest