The Student Room Group

S4 Edexcel June 2011

This is a thread for all people taking S4 edexcel exam in June 2011. Post any problems and/or solutions you have here. I am really not sure that many people take S4. But hey lets at least try to get something going. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yayyy:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

S4 here I come (to nail you down):wink:
Reply 2
I did S1 and it was enough to make me cry :eek: , i don't envy you people, the best of luck anyway :colondollar:
How is everyone else revising for S4? Normally, I like to revise by doing huge numbers of past papers; but there are only 8 available for S4. No Solomon or specimen papers that I can see, either.
Reply 4
Original post by ArchimedesSpiral
How is everyone else revising for S4? Normally, I like to revise by doing huge numbers of past papers; but there are only 8 available for S4. No Solomon or specimen papers that I can see, either.

well I would just to do all the questions in the book and all the exam papers. Unfortunately no other past papers/questions exist :frown:
Reply 5

You have 8 can you give me some????
I have only june 2005 till june 2010.
Reply 6
Original post by anshul95
This is a thread for all people taking S4 edexcel exam in June 2011. Post any problems and/or solutions you have here. I am really not sure that many people take S4. But hey lets at least try to get something going. :smile:

Original post by cazzy-joe
Yayyy:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

S4 here I come (to nail you down):wink:

Good luck!. S3 is enough for me :p:
S4 Papers from June 2002 - 2010, January 2006 and Specimen paper with all mark schemes...in the zip file

http://www.mediafire.com/?ppa6nf35qa5aqdp
Reply 8
I think more people take M3 and maybe S3 for further applied modules than S4. I have meet so few people doing S4 its ridiculous. I think its because quite a lot of people who want to maths at uni like mechanics much better than stats. As for others, most of these people taking further maths want to do physics/engineering degress, in which case mechanics is better.
I think more people take M3 and maybe S3 for further applied modules than S4. I have meet so few people doing S4 its ridiculous. I think its because quite a lot of people who want to maths at uni like mechanics much better than stats. As for others, most of these people taking further maths want to do physics/engineering degress, in which case mechanics is better.

Also remember alot of people do A-Level Statistics with AQA. Mechanics modules are strongly preferred by Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and other reputable Maths/Science and Engineering depts. I would do S3 for Further Maths with M3, but would'nt do S4. Very few people take S4 in my college for Further Maths as well. Most people tend to do FP1, FP2/FP3 and M2, M3, M4, S3, D1, D2...
You should be fine, do all the questions in the book, review it throughly three times and do the same for the past questions. Remember there was once S5 and S6, since so few people did anything beyond S4 they no longer exist. Solomon Papers exist for S3 but not for S4, but there is similarity in questions for all other boards for S4, practice them as well.
Reply 10
Original post by intellectual1
Also remember alot of people do A-Level Statistics with AQA. Mechanics modules are strongly preferred by Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and other reputable Maths/Science and Engineering depts. I would do S3 for Further Maths with M3, but would'nt do S4. Very few people take S4 in my college for Further Maths as well. Most people tend to do FP1, FP2/FP3 and M2, M3, M4, S3, D1, D2...
You should be fine, do all the questions in the book, review it throughly three times and do the same for the past questions. Remember there was once S5 and S6, since so few people did anything beyond S4 they no longer exist. Solomon Papers exist for S3 but not for S4, but there is similarity in questions for all other boards for S4, practice them as well.

that would be good as I am worried that the questions in the book/past exam papers are very narrowed in their focus.
S4 Papers from June 2002 - 2010, January 2006 and Specimen paper with all mark schemes...in the zip file

Thanks for uploading that! I'm sure it will be useful to people. But, I can't see any specimen paper in it? I'm not sure if S4 has one, but if it does, could you please upload it? That would help me a lot!
Thanks for uploading that! I'm sure it will be useful to people. But, I can't see any specimen paper in it? I'm not sure if S4 has one, but if it does, could you please upload it? That would help me a lot!

http://www.mediafire.com/?1384y92qmo4lilg Specimen Papers were on the Old Spec. It is in one huge file, page 67. Stats MS file has the S4 Specimen Mark scheme.

Thank you sooo much for those files (for both S3 and S4:biggrin::biggrin:)
Original post by cazzy-joe
Thank you sooo much for those files (for both S3 and S4:biggrin::biggrin:)

Are you doing M2? That's sure to be a tricky paper in some questions.

What about FP1 FP2 FP3? I'm just going through past questions, the old P4 and FP1 questions were considerably more challenging.
Reply 15
Good thread! I doubt there's many of us doing S4 =/ Anyone here doing M3 too?
Reply 16

I envy your uni places greatly :tongue: Which ones did you end up firming and insuring?
Are you doing M2? That's sure to be a tricky paper in some questions.

What about FP1 FP2 FP3? I'm just going through past questions, the old P4 and FP1 questions were considerably more challenging.

I did M2 in January session:biggrin:
Also did FP1 in January session already...so in June I have Fp2 Fp3 S3 and S4.
Reply 18
Original post by mir3a
I envy your uni places greatly :tongue: Which ones did you end up firming and insuring?

I have ended up firming KCL and insuring Nottingham. People think I am pretty crazy for choosing KCL over UCL but I felt I fitted in and liked the course better at KCL. Did you end up firming Royal Holloway?
Reply 19
I have ended up firming KCL and insuring Nottingham. People think I am pretty crazy for choosing KCL over UCL but I felt I fitted in and liked the course better at KCL. Did you end up firming Royal Holloway?

Ended up firming QM instead =/ I'm relying highly on adjustment as it stands, which is never a good thing! KCL will be one place I'll ring first on results day(god knows if they will have availability though) :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending