The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3140
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Taken?

No I meant it reminded me off Bounre :tongue:

A guy who loses his memory, and can't remember anything but then turns out to be an assassin! Have you seen it? Don't you think the two films have very similier features. Obviously the Bourne films were executed undoubtedly better.

I see you edited your orginal post!
(edited 12 years ago)

Shocking and an absolute eye opener.

First of all the research that went into this and the interviews were fantastic and provided so much insight. It did a brilliant job of actually informing me of what actually went on as well as the various elements; sub prime loans receiving AAA ratings, deregulation, increase in leverages, toxic CDOs and credit-default swaps. It's also facinating to see how it began to take form and then the actual bubble bursting and resulting impact on countries and people. Fun facts: Earning money stimulates the same part of the brain as cocaine.

I went back and read your review and would agree the questions posed were intelligent and penetrating. Also great to see Matt Damon get behind this by narrating it.

Glen Hubbard, who started to get edgy towards the end, seems like a real prick.

Also, "I had to leave [when everything was going to ****] to revise my textbook" :rofl:

It should be compulsory viewing for all.

I thought it was structured incredibly well, the way they used Iceland as a case study and then introduced each new concept in slowly really made the whole subject so much more intuitive than how it was presented by pretty much every other source I've seen.

I think the most shocking bit at the end was the academic who doctored his CV to go from "Icelandic stability" to "Icelandic instability". Outrageous.
Original post by kflynn
No I meant it reminded me off Bounre :tongue:

A guy who loses his memory, and can't remember anything but then turns out to be an assassin! Have you seen it? Don't you think the two films have very similier features. Obviously the Bourne films were executed undoubtedly better.

See edit. :tongue:

They did have different storylines to be fair. But I agree, there are a lot of parallels with memory loss, being an assassin, having an accident, conspiracy to assassinate someone, the executive guy who says he was the best assassin he had, getting with a foreign girl and offering payment for help and who then stays by your side/helps you.

Where Bourne was exceptional, this was decent but extremely predictable. Also think it went on for too long. The whole payoff wasn't particularly good either.

Yes please!
http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/ultimate-action-blu-ray-bundle-zavvi-exclusive-one-day-only-offer/10484602.html?affil=BUYAT

Most likely a misprice but you have bugger all reason not to. If they don't honour the price you get your money back. If you do you get a bargain.
Original post by cambo211
http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/ultimate-action-blu-ray-bundle-zavvi-exclusive-one-day-only-offer/10484602.html?affil=BUYAT

Most likely a misprice but you have bugger all reason not to. If they don't honour the price you get your money back. If you do you get a bargain.

Gosh.

I don't own a Blu-ray player, but I probably will at some point.

Or **** it, I can give them as gifts.
Original post by Jace Falco
Gosh.

I don't own a Blu-ray player, but I probably will at some point.

Or **** it, I can give them as gifts.

It's also available at Asda, Argos and a few others for the same price :holmes
Reply 3147
Ordered two sets of the action bonanza; one for myself and one for presents. I imagine they'll renege on the offer, though.

Anchorman, Team America, The Hangover and Tropic Thunder - amongst others - have a lot to answer for, tbh. The incessant bleating of "I love lamp!", "Matt. Damon", "Wolfpack!" and "He's a dude, disguised as another dude" is something that I'd struggle to isolate as ever being particularly funny, yet people seem to feel the urge to do it; continuously. Still. Every one of those films had its amusing moments (the first two far more than the latter, imo), but none of the excessively-quoted sections were particularly funny, even seen for the first time and in context. It annoys me that people can still bring tired quotes up and receive a chuckle. Many things annoy me. :colonhash:
Reply 3148
Original post by zjs
Ordered two sets of the action bonanza; one for myself and one for presents. I imagine they'll renege on the offer, though.

Anchorman, Team America, The Hangover and Tropic Thunder - amongst others - have a lot to answer for, tbh. The incessant bleating of "I love lamp!", "Matt. Damon", "Wolfpack!" and "He's a dude, disguised as another dude" is something that I'd struggle to isolate as ever being particularly funny, yet people seem to feel the urge to do it; continuously. Still. Every one of those films had its amusing moments (the first two far more than the latter, imo), but none of the excessively-quoted sections were particularly funny, even seen for the first time and in context. It annoys me that people can still bring tired quotes up and receive a chuckle. Many things annoy me. :colonhash:

There are so many people I know who do exactly that. However the most annoying for me is on hot days I know I'll see the quote "milk was a bad choice" pop up on Facebook at least once.
Reply 3149
Original post by Phalanges

Yes please!

This looks like my type of film :tongue:

Spoiler

Reply 3150
I watched The Social Network last night. It was very good. Not my favourite of the Fincher films I've seen so far, but the colours were fantastic (as was Andrew Garfield :heart: )
Reply 3151
I watched Leaving Las Vegas last night, anyone seen that?

Awesome performances from the two main leads, the films depressing as hell though. Who would have thought that Nicholas Cage could turn in a performance like that?! Elisabeth Shue was pretty good as well. The trailer for this film is so misleading, you would have thought it was a comedy after watching it :colonhash:

I also watched Piranha, pretty **** film but worth a watch just for Kelly Brook and all the other countless hot ladies :sexface:
Original post by kflynn

I've got to watch HP+DH:P2 on Thursday, so I guess I had better try and watch the first one over the next couple of days. Really can't be doing with all of the hysteria though - there had better not be anyone at the cinema dressed up as a wizard.

Original post by kflynn

Spoiler

I know right, every time I see your avatar I keep thinking I made the post and then getting confused. :p:

The TV series is awesome. A true representation of British quality drama. There are 3 x 90 minute episodes and by the end of it you'll have a hard time choosing which Sherlock you prefer: Robert Downey Junior or Benedict Cumberbatch.

Also both the main actors, Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) and Watson (Martin Freeman) have been cast in The Hobbit films. Smaug and Bilbo respectively.

And The Necromancer!

The good things about the different Sherlock Holmeses* (the series and the film) is that they are played in an almost completely different way - you can enjoy both separately. The series just edges it for me though.

Also is it just me that thinks that Downey Jr is a more convincing Englishman than Jude Law?

* ? - that can't be the correct term...
Reply 3154
Original post by cambo211

As predicted, Zavvi have reneged on it. Got a "we're really sorry, but the price shown for Ultimate Action Blu-ray Bundle was incorrect" email.

That said, still no word from Argos, so I live in hopes. :moon:
Reply 3155
Original post by Phalanges
I know right, every time I see your avatar I keep thinking I made the post and then getting confused. :p:

You poor, simple, creature. :console: (:teehee:)

Original post by Roobsa
There are so many people I know who do exactly that. However the most annoying for me is on hot days I know I'll see the quote "milk was a bad choice" pop up on Facebook at least once.

:ditto:

Perhaps the crowning fleck on the glistening turd that is "moronically repeated quotes" comes, again, from Anchorman: "LOUD NOISES". One of the funnier of those quotes in the film; the most annoying when screamed irl.
I asked one of my sisters the other day which were her all-time favourites, what she thought were brilliant films. The response?

Her:"erm...Galdiator..."
Me: :yes:
"....erm...Shawshank Remption..."
:yes:
"....and Tangled and How to Train your Dragon. :smile:"
:facepalm:

tbf how to train your dragon was a good kids film, that dragon was cute, but still...Tangled!?!?
Original post by tropical-twist3
I asked one of my sisters the other day which were her all-time favourites, what she thought were brilliant films. The response?

tbf how to train your dragon was a good kids film, that dragon was cute, but still...Tangled!?!?

Nothing wrong with any of those films.

Tangled is one of Disneys bests of recent times. I loved HTTYD but still preferred Tangled
Reply 3158
Original post by tropical-twist3

Tangled had the highest budget of any film ever made (I believe I'm right in saying), and wasn't a bad animated film. It bridged the gap into being a decent enough film overall as well. I wouldn't call it great or an all-time favourite by any stretch, but I'd certainly put it in the same league as How to Train Your Dragon, which was alright enough but nothing brilliant.
Original post by zjs
Tangled had the highest budget of any film ever made (I believe I'm right in saying), and wasn't a bad animated film. It bridged the gap into being a decent enough film overall as well. I wouldn't call it great or an all-time favourite by any stretch, but I'd certainly put it in the same league as How to Train Your Dragon, which was alright enough but nothing brilliant.

Second most expensive film :fyi:

POTC 3 still cost more by about $40 million.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest