The Student Room Group

Misfits

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3760
Oh yeh I know many 5 year olds who write scripts about complicated things such as time travel, involving very adult topics and humour.

There will be plot holes in anything to do with time travel. There are a number of theories around time travel. Until one is proven, anybody is free to do with it how they please for creative purposes.

Shall we all sit here picking at the plot holes in Doctor Who? No. Get over it.
Original post by hobo06
Oh yeh I know many 5 year olds who write scripts about complicated things such as time travel, involving very adult topics and humour.

There will be plot holes in anything to do with time travel. There are a number of theories around time travel. Until one is proven, anybody is free to do with it how they please for creative purposes.

:jumphug: we should time travel together, would be EPIC fun!
Reply 3762
Original post by greeneyedgirl
:jumphug: we should time travel together, would be EPIC fun!

Let's go back to our wedding day :love:
Reply 3763
But they couldn't have covered all of that easily and simply within an hour.

No it would have been another season in itself, and that's why they should never have done it... As it was it seemed like a stupid opportunity for the creators to mess around, or it betrayed that they are running thin on real ideas to move the show forwards.
Original post by hobo06
Let's go back to our wedding day :love:

Let's indeed! :lovie:

Original post by Elipsis
No it would have been another season in itself, and that's why they should never have done it... As it was it seemed like a stupid opportunity for the creators to mess around, or it betrayed that they are running thin on real ideas to move the show forwards.

What's wrong with the creators messing about and having a bit of fun?
Also it showed Kelly actually WANTING to be a rocket scientist, set up Kelly and Seth further, and showed Simon and Alisha's love :h:
Reply 3765
Let's indeed! :lovie:

Also it showed Kelly actually WANTING to be a rocket scientist, set up Kelly and Seth further, and showed Simon and Alisha's love :h:

I don't mind messing around, but that was just tat. The episode where Curtis kept going back to make everything in the past perfect was a good example of them using time travel properly to forward the storyline, and this is a good example of them doing it terribly. With that power they could have changed everything, and the biggest question in my mind is why the dealer didn't go back and save his girlfriend?! It forwarded Kelly's storyline by about 1 mm, and the relationship with Seth could have been forwarded in loads of different ways - whereas they just kissed briefly at the end which only Kelly knows about. The Simon and Alisha being in love was just taccy and ridiculous. That's before we even get into how stupid it was that they were doing community service on an identical estate in an identical building lol.
Original post by Elipsis
... and the biggest question in my mind is why the dealer didn't go back and save his girlfriend?! ...

He's specifically said that he can't use the powers while he's holding them, just give & take them.
Reply 3767
Original post by History-Student
He's specifically said that he can't use the powers while he's holding them, just give & take them.

No I knew it would require him to transfer it to someone he trusted... a family member of the girl who was particularly distraught perhaps? The storyline is focused on Simon having to go back so that time runs properly, yet they go and do something like that...

Sorry, when did it show Kelly wanting to be a rocket scientist?

Also, I didn't feel like it showed Simon and Alisha being in love....they just seemed to want the same thing (the GOOD thing), and a bit of acknowledgement about it.

Maybe that's because I never really feel their relationship in normal time anyway...
Original post by Mother_Russia
Sorry, when did it show Kelly wanting to be a rocket scientist?

Also, I didn't feel like it showed Simon and Alisha being in love....they just seemed to want the same thing (the GOOD thing), and a bit of acknowledgement about it.

Maybe that's because I never really feel their relationship in normal time anyway...

Because she asked to be one at the end!
Because she asked to be one at the end!

Like get that power back? Well, I always assumed she'd want her power back for it....I thought you meant that she REALLY warmed to the idea of rocket scientist throughout the episode

But ALSO....when did ever say you can't be in the possession of 2 powers? I didn't think she gave the rocket scientist power back when she took the time travel one?
Original post by Mother_Russia
Like get that power back? Well, I always assumed she'd want her power back for it....I thought you meant that she REALLY warmed to the idea of rocket scientist throughout the episode

But ALSO....when did ever say you can't be in the possession of 2 powers? I didn't think she gave the rocket scientist power back when she took the time travel one?

She asked for it back specifically. She said she quite enjoyed being a ****ing rocket scientist!

It has never said, because think Jesus-guy had multiple powers back.
Original post by hobo06

There will be plot holes in anything to do with time travel. There are a number of theories around time travel.
Until one is proven, anybody is free to do with it how they please for creative purposes.

Steins; Gate- about time travel no plot holes.

Saying that though, I thought the misfits episode was good.
Okay I never gave my two cents about this episode. I'm afraid I'm in the 'didn't enjoy it' camp. It was way too ridiculous, and quite boring actually. Nothing much really happened! I mean, I didn't hate it entirely - the power-exchange-kiss was pretty cool to watch, a nice idea, but off the top of my head nothing else sticks out. Well, Kelly meeting Hitler, but I'm finding Kelly quite boring anyway... to me, at the moment, she's just a vehicle to perhaps a more interesting character (Seth).
Reply 3774
Original post by Curly_hair_girl
Steins; Gate- about time travel no plot holes.

Saying that though, I thought the misfits episode was good.

You can not say there are no plot holes in something based entirely on theory, but claim another thing does have plot holes. Key word being theory. There are no facts to base these plot holes on.
Original post by hobo06
You can not say there are no plot holes in something based entirely on theory, but claim another thing does have plot holes. Key word being theory. There are no facts to base these plot holes on.

I'm sorry, if I getting what you are saying wrong, I struggled to understand you. Too many holes!:tongue:

I can, as in the story of the programme, its theory of time-travel makes sense. It doesn't leave the audience gaps in their knowledge of the "story's" world.
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
The whole time travel thing could have been amazing, but it just wasn't.

Now let's never speak of this episode again :colonhash:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Woah.

Just watched the episode and had to come here to rant. I'm quite glad others feel the same because this episode was TERRIBLE.

- What are the odds that even one of the people alive in the original timestream would be alive in the altered one, let alone all of them

- Where do they keep getting guns from????

- Why did he use a silencer in a bloody shootout?

- Why didn't power guy tell someone to go back when he got the power, why wait till he gets shot and then give it away?

- Why is there community service? And in the exact same place :|

- Simon's supposed to be awkward, Alisha shouldn't fancy him

- Why didn't the old guy use a gun to kill Hitler?

- When Kelly got the phone, what happened to the old guy?

- It was so predictable that he hadn't given Curtis the time-travelling power.

- THE KELLY AT THE END IS THE WRONG ****ING KELLY

- Why were Curtis and Alisha treated just like everyone else? How were they even born?

- Kelly said she was busting everybody out of their cells, yet only the misfits were there. Surely there'd be more prisoners?

- Why are all the buildings the same? Just get a different set.

- When did they all learn to use high power sniper rifles?

- How did Kelly infiltrate a Nazi Super-Power prison on her own? I mean come on....

-Why are their Nazi stickers EVERYWHERE?

IMO they should have had completely different characters in the Nazi England. The old guy should have played more of a part. There could be a group of anti-misfits, just for one episode, that try to get things back to 'normal' with the help of the old guy. Then whoever did go back in the end doesn't grab the phone, they stop the old guy before Hitler gets into the room.

Sorry I don't usually rant but THAT was just ridiculous.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3777
People are still complaining about this? Geez. It's a TV show, get the **** over it. 'Suspension of disbelief' and 'artistic licence' are terms people need to look up.

In fact I'll make it even easier:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artistic_license

Now, if people can't accept that, then I suggest moving away from all works of fiction.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hobo06
People are still complaining about this? Geez. It's a TV show, get the **** over it. 'Suspension of disbelief' and 'artistic licence' are terms people need to look up.

In fact I'll make it even easier:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artistic_license

Now, if people can't accept that, then I suggest moving away from all works of fiction.

Excuse you, I write fiction.

There is 'suspension of disbelief' and there is taking the piss. The whole premise of the show is ludicrous, but the episode was just lazy, dull and generally terrible.

Not at all darkly funny like the last two series, or constantly inventive. It was just bad writing.
Reply 3779
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
Excuse you, I write fiction.

There is 'suspension of disbelief' and there is taking the piss. The whole premise of the show is ludicrous, but the episode was just lazy, dull and generally terrible.

Not at all darkly funny like the last two series, or constantly inventive. It was just bad writing.

Time travel is a complicated subject. They took a risk by introducing it in series one, it worked out fine then, and the way the story unfolded, it was something they couldn't just drop.

They lost Robert Sheehan from the show, presumably unexpectedly at quite a late stage during the production of series 2, else they would have managed to write his departure into series 2. This obviously ballsed up their plans for season 3, but they carried on, re-wrote the best they could, in the time they had (I imagine they were under a lot of pressure from Channel 4 to have another season ready for this year) and I'd say they handled it pretty well.

What kind of stick would they be getting if they just dropped the whole guy-gets-time-travel-power-wanting-to-kill-Hitler thing?

Quick Reply

Latest