The 14-day lock-down before major surgery blog

Watch
Hazelly
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

Hi and Welcome!

As you can see from the title, I am due surgery in 14 days which I am quite nervous about. I have a trachea-esophagus fistula (TOF) that was diagnosed a month before the COVID-19 lockdown in the UK. This condition is pretty rare whereby only seventeen other adults have this type of TOF worldwide :eek:. This condition causes me to choke on food and drinks on a regular basis.

The plan for this blog is to just keep track of my days and hopefully get to know some new people on TSR :hi: it will also give me something to focus on

Goals for the next two weeks:

Finish my paint by numbers of a giraffe – I will post updates on it regularly with photos!

-

Read a new book – any suggestions would be great

-

Pack for my admission

-

Get tested for COVID-19 as a precaution! (This will be 48-72 hours before going into hospital)

-

Anything else that I can think of I will add!

-

Medical background:

I was born with a rare syndrome called VACTERL, it affects my spine, bowels, trachea, esophagus, kidneys, and my bladder. I live with a colostomy which I am slowly coming to terms with :rave: and I have undergone around twenty surgeries in the last seventeen years.

Tag list:

Tagging everyone that was following along with my other blog that ended because of COVID. If you’re interested in following this one please do say

Spoiler:
Show

I hope you enjoy this blog and thank you to anyone who stays around, bye for now! :woo:
Last edited by Hazelly; 4 weeks ago
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Best of luck for the surgery! Sounds pretty complicated, so I hope it goes well. Could I be added to the tag list too?
Hazelly
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Best of luck for the surgery! Sounds pretty complicated, so I hope it goes well. Could I be added to the tag list too?
Thank you! I don’t know too much about the actual surgery either as the surgeon spoke to my parents when I got diagnosed as I had an general anaesthetic for an endoscopy. So I’m waiting on another phone call next week to find out keep about it :eek:

And of course, I’ll add you now
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Posting to subscribe. Thinking of you and here to support if/as needed

PS. Giraffes are the best! I have a cuddly toy giraffe that I sleep with every night
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
best of luck w the surgery:hugs: keep me tagged
Hazelly
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Posting to subscribe. Thinking of you and here to support if/as needed

PS. Giraffes are the best! I have a cuddly toy giraffe that I sleep with every night
Thank you. Aww cute, I agree! I have a bunny that I keep with me and I take to surgeries/admissions, had it since birth

(Original post by absolutelysprout)
best of luck w the surgery:hugs: keep me tagged
Thanks, will do
FRS500
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Keep safe OP!
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
:hugs: I hope it goes well. Stay safe please.
certirinc
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i hope it goes well!!

i also have to go in for surgery for a congenital disorder very soon. it's one of the worst feelings in the world. i truly understand your pain
danc1456
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hope it all goes well. Nice to see that its going ahead and i bet your quite pleased about that.
halsx11
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi hope the OP is successful 🙌 for now just try and relax as much as possible! I just read ur blog to me your a hero inside out! I can’t imagine how it’d feel like going through this! We’re all here for you! 🥰🥰 Hazelly
Last edited by halsx11; 1 month ago
furryface12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck! Hope all goes well :hugs:
Anonymous778
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sounds interesting, good luck! Tag me for updates x
Hazelly
Rep:
?
(Original post by FRS500)
Keep safe OP!
(Original post by Pathway)
:hugs: I hope it goes well. Stay safe please.
(Original post by furryface12)
Good luck! Hope all goes well :hugs:
(Original post by Anonymous778)
Sounds interesting, good luck! Tag me for updates x
Thank you for the kind messages it means a lot, I hope you're all doing okay. Anonymous778
will do
Last edited by Hazelly; 1 month ago
Hazelly
Rep:
?
(Original post by halsx11)
Hi hope the OP is successful 🙌 for now just try and relax as much as possible! I just read ur blog to me your a hero inside out! I can’t imagine how it’d feel like going through this! We’re all here for you! 🥰🥰 Hazelly
That's the plan for relaxing! I'm starting out on some new Netflix programs to pass the time as it feels like each hour is dreading now. Thank you so much for reading my other blog and this message was so nice to read. Massive thank you :hugs:

(Original post by danc1456)
hope it all goes well. Nice to see that its going ahead and i bet your quite pleased about that.
Very pleased, I've been waiting so long for this surgery and my choking episodes have gotten worse, I feel like the next two weeks will feel like forever!

(Original post by certirinc)
i hope it goes well!!

i also have to go in for surgery for a congenital disorder very soon. it's one of the worst feelings in the world. i truly understand your pain
Thanks , I hope your surgery goes well. I definitely agree with you, the thought of surgery is quite scary. I'm always here if you'd like someone to chat about your upcoming surgery? PM is always open
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck! :hugs: you've got this
What genre of books would you say you're interested in? (YA/fantasy/action/etc?)
Hazelly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chronoscope)
Good luck! :hugs: you've got this
What genre of books would you say you're interested in? (YA/fantasy/action/etc?)
Thank you :hugs:

I quite like medical and action books Though I'm happy to try a new genre!
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hazelly)
Thank you :hugs:

I quite like medical and action books Though I'm happy to try a new genre!
Ooh very nice :awesome: idk about medical books but
would definitely recommend The Hunger Games and the Percy Jackson series if you haven't already read them (Percy Jackson I would say is definitely more lighthearted compared to Hunger Games though :yep: )
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
babyshark They like to answer these questions.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
Hazelly can i get to know you?:muse: :king1:

that's awesome you have your surgery scheduled - i know it's going to go amazing! really want to see your paint by numbers of a giraffe, i'm so not kidding i used to love that stuff
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (118)
38.19%
Take autumn exams (96)
31.07%
Look for a job (10)
3.24%
Consider an apprenticeship (9)
2.91%
Take a year out (56)
18.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
6.47%

Watched Threads