The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
i thought he was an actor. Is your coach an actor too? where will they fight, at fitness first?
i know he trained in sanshaou which is kung-fu style martial art, you can check that if you like

either way id still back payakaroon to wipe the floor with them both, and hes 50 odd

He fought in kickboxing competitions therefore is a kickboxer and Sanshou is actually pretty awesome, nothing like most kung-fu.
Original post by Dr. Bassman
He fought in kickboxing competitions therefore is a kickboxer and Sanshou is actually pretty awesome, nothing like most kung-fu.

:rolleyes: Sanshou is kung fu. it is trained by the chinese army and also forms part of their wu shu sport competition. pls dont go to that thing you do talking about subjects and martial arts you have no clue about

We can both settle on the fact that cung le is your favourite actor if you like. Who do you think is better, cung le, chuck norris or john cena
(edited 11 years ago)
:rolleyes: Sanshou is kung fu. it is trained by the chinese army and also forms part of their wu shu sport competition. pls dont go to that thing you do talking about subjects and martial arts you have no clue about

We can both settle on the fact that cung le is your favourite actor if you like. Who do you think is better, cung le, chuck norris or john cena

I never said it wasn't kung fu. I just said it was nothing like how most of it is. Also, please stop embarrassing yourself with stuff like this.
I never said it wasn't kung fu. I just said it was nothing like how most of it is. Also, please stop embarrassing yourself with stuff like this.

i think you did. and there is no "like most of it is" in kung fu - there are so many styles within kung fu as diffrent from each other as bjj is to boxing. Like i siad, you should reserve your comments to things you may know about, such as the 'judo chop' etc ( sorry i m quoting austin powers now)

wel im nott embarrassed, i just dont think cung le is a good example of muay thai. you mentioned he competed, was that in K1? which is like the ufc of muay thai ie sub standard competition but has all the money
(edited 11 years ago)
i think you did. and there is no "like most of it is" in kung fu - there are so many styles within kung fu as diffrent from each other as bjj is to boxing. Like i siad, you should reserve your comments to things you may know about, such as the 'judo chop' etc ( sorry i m quoting austin powers now)

wel im nott embarrassed, i just dont think cung le is a good example of muay thai. you mentioned he competed, was that in K1? which is like the ufc of muay thai ie sub standard competition but has all the money

Think what you like haha, I didn't. Most kung-fu is nonsense, sanshou isn't. I have no problem saying that. I have nothing against any martial art as long as it is practical. The problem with you is that you take any art associated with professional sports and automatically it's bad to you.

Also, it's kind of ridiculous to say I know nothing about Sanshou when it's essentially a variant of kickboxing which is extremely close to what I train to, minus the aggressive throws and takedowns. I train to sweep and trip whilst kickboxing and since I also learn other throws in judo which are used in sanshou I'm hardly out of my comfort zone here lol.

I love how to you kickboxing and judo are nonsense but when essentially put together and used under the kung fu name they no longer are.
Think what you like haha, I didn't. Most kung-fu is nonsense, sanshou isn't. I have no problem saying that. I have nothing against any martial art as long as it is practical. The problem with you is that you take any art associated with professional sports and automatically it's bad to you.

Also, it's kind of ridiculous to say I know nothing about Sanshou when it's essentially a variant of kickboxing which is extremely close to what I train to, minus the aggressive throws and takedowns. I train to sweep and trip whilst kickboxing and since I also learn other throws in judo which are used in sanshou I'm hardly out of my comfort zone here lol.

I love how to you kickboxing and judo are nonsense but when essentially put together and used under the kung fu name they no longer are.

you are just talking like a child now. how could you say " most kung fu is nonsense" when im almost certain your entire exposure to kung fu has been cung le/jet li/ jackie chan movies. sanshou like most other kung fu, is more than just sweeping and judo throws lol, it encompasses basic kung fu principles such as chin na , various high and low kicking styles, wrestling and takedown defense etc etc all borrowed from other chinese styles. Just becuase you watch Cung le movies and do judo class is not to say you know about sanshou all of a sudden, it strikes me you didnt know he did trained in it, not kickboxing in the first place and that it was a kung fu style :redface:

I also found it hard to keep a straight face when you brought up cung le as a technical 'kickboxer' And i use that term losely to describe muay thai mimic fighting with hands and feet. I thought that was a new level of naivety you have managed to achieve. Im aware that 'kickboxing' in the west is simply referrs to the watered down 'self defense' and fitness classes they have in fitness-first and the like. Whats your coaches name, is it Jody? I have seen her classes advertised.

Like i said i cant discuss it with a straight face, why dont you look up actual fighters like payakraoon or my personal favourite kiatadisak and see what muay thai is all about, it is literally a league above what you are most likely training now. If i wanted to find out about boxercise or wrestling with sweaty fat blokes on rubber mats, like you already know, thats what leisure centres are for.

"I love how to you kickboxing and judo are nonsense but when essentially put together and used under the kung fu name they no longer are"

You should be aware the techniques you refer to in kung fu have been around for a few hundred years before both judo and leisure centre kick-boxing - so actually you got it the other way around. Plus in martial arts class you learn al the bits and pieces in between too, which is kind of useful
(edited 11 years ago)
you are just talking like a child now. how could you say " most kung fu is nonsense" when im almost certain your entire exposure to kung fu has been cung le/jet li/ jackie chan movies. sanshou like most other kung fu, is more than just sweeping and judo throws lol, it encompasses basic kung fu principles such as chin na , various high and low kicking styles, wrestling and takedown defense etc etc all borrowed from other chinese styles. Just becuase you watch Cung le movies and do judo class is not to say you know about sanshou all of a sudden, it strikes me you didnt know he did trained in it, not kickboxing in the first place and that it was a kung fu style :redface:

I also found it hard to keep a straight face when you brought up cung le as a technical 'kickboxer' And i use that term losely to describe muay thai mimic fighting with hands and feet. I thought that was a new level of naivety you have managed to achieve. Im aware that 'kickboxing' in the west is simply referrs to the watered down 'self defense' and fitness classes they have in fitness-first and the like. Whats your coaches name, is it Jody? I have seen her classes advertised.

Like i said i cant discuss it with a straight face, why dont you look up actual fighters like payakraoon or my personal favourite kiatadisak and see what muay thai is all about, it is literally a league above what you are most likely training now. If i wanted to find out about boxercise or wrestling with sweaty fat blokes on rubber mats, like you already know, thats what leisure centres are for.

"I love how to you kickboxing and judo are nonsense but when essentially put together and used under the kung fu name they no longer are"

You should be aware the techniques you refer to in kung fu have been around for a few hundred years before both judo and leisure centre kick-boxing - so actually you got it the other way around. Plus in martial arts class you learn al the bits and pieces in between too, which is kind of useful

This is stupid, you don't read what I write. The style of kickboxing that I train in is VERY similar to sanshou and I also know most of the takedowns from judo. Actually, Cung Le was doing TKD and wrestling first before he started sanshou/kickboxing. And oh my god lol, I've never even seen a Cung Le film, I watch his fights haha.

There's no set term for 'kickboxing'. Kickboxing refers to anything from what I train in to weird PUMA style kickboxing. My coach is actually Iranian and his name is Reza. What I do isn't cardio kickboxing stuff, it's legit kickboxing.

Whatever's been around for longer doesn't matter. The simple fact is that you criticise kickboxing and judo yet think that sanshou is a good martial art, despite the fact that they're all heavily linked.
This is stupid, you don't read what I write. The style of kickboxing that I train in is VERY similar to sanshou and I also know most of the takedowns from judo. Actually, Cung Le was doing TKD and wrestling first before he started sanshou/kickboxing. And oh my god lol, I've never even seen a Cung Le film, I watch his fights haha.

There's no set term for 'kickboxing'. Kickboxing refers to anything from what I train in to weird PUMA style kickboxing. My coach is actually Iranian and his name is Reza. What I do isn't cardio kickboxing stuff, it's legit kickboxing.

Whatever's been around for longer doesn't matter. The simple fact is that you criticise kickboxing and judo yet think that sanshou is a good martial art, despite the fact that they're all heavily linked.

i dont have any feelings toward sanshaou either way, it is simply an amalgam of various other kung fu styles, it seems to be a jack of all trades style. a sanshou fighter i doubt would be able to cope with a top end wing tsun striker close up, a good qaulity chin-na practioner in stand up sumbission grappling, or a bjj black belt on the ground.
I know they wouldnt last 5 seconds standing with a thai fighter in the class of Payakaroon, Kiatadisak or Pramuk. I doubt your kickboxing buddies would last even 2 seconds with them.

did cung le ever win K1 title? Pramuk won it 2 or 3 times i beleive when he was still a relative junior to muay thai....kind of shows the comparative standard of your average k1 competiton.

There is no such thing as 'legit' kickboxing. there is muay thai, bjj, kenpo etc etc. A general rule to follow is if you can learn it in Fitness First from a blonde girl called Jody, it probably isnt the best style you can be doing.
thats my tip for the day for you :cool:
(edited 11 years ago)
i dont have any feelings toward sanshaou either way, it is simply an amalgam of various other kung fu styles, it seems to be a jack of all trades style. a sanshou fighter i doubt would be able to cope with a top end wing tsun striker close up, a good qaulity chin-na practioner in stand up sumbission grappling, or a bjj black belt on the ground.
I know they wouldnt last 5 seconds standing with a thai fighter in the class of Payakaroon, Kiatadisak or Pramak. I doubt your kickboxing buddies would last even 2 seconds with them.

did cung le ever win K1 title? Pramak won it 2 or 3 times i beleive when he was still a relative junior to muay thai....kind of shows the comparative standard of your average k1 competiton.

There is no such thing as 'legit' kickboxing. there is muay thai, bjj, kenpo etc etc. A general rule to follow is if you can learn it in Fitness First from a blonde girl called Jody, it probably isnt the best style you can be doing.

I'll admit, I lol'd at the wing tsun thing. Nice.

I'm not going to compare fighters. This isn't a question of 'my fighters are better than yours', I view the practicality of a martial art and take it from there. Whether so and so was champion or not is pretty irrelevant to me.

Also, you've changed your mind on BJJ then? And there is such a thing as 'legit kickboxing'. There are bad styles out there that are taught just as you said, essentially by fitness instructors. That doesn't really bother me, since these people are really just doing it to get fit. That said, the style of kickboxing I train in is really just muay thai without all of the clinching and elbows, with some karate/TKD influence. Also, easy on the sexism man.
I'll admit, I lol'd at the wing tsun thing. Nice.

I'm not going to compare fighters. This isn't a question of 'my fighters are better than yours', I view the practicality of a martial art and take it from there. Whether so and so was champion or not is pretty irrelevant to me.

Also, you've changed your mind on BJJ then? And there is such a thing as 'legit kickboxing'. There are bad styles out there that are taught just as you said, essentially by fitness instructors. That doesn't really bother me, since these people are really just doing it to get fit. That said, the style of kickboxing I train in is really just muay thai without all of the clinching and elbows, with some karate/TKD influence. Also, easy on the sexism man.

well no, what you train is far removed from muay thai, so much so you could have bolted together boxcercise with goal-kicking and pretty much come up with a kickboxing class- IMO. As you well know 'kick boxing' was created as a sport in the west to supplmenet boxing, so you know my stance, it shouldnt even be considered as a martial art.
4 point striking vs 8 (or 9 point) striking, there is no contest - it isny jsut elbows that are removed, the most effective weapon there is in cq combat - the knee is removed too. There is no clinch game, which is vital in cq. Basically a thai fighter with all these advantages wil make mincemeat out of any kickboxer

You really ought to try a well run muay thai class, and you would see instantly the differences in kicking technique and power, speed, balance in clinch etc. The boxing can also at a much higher level - muay-thai fighters have been boxing world champions too ( payakaroon won the wbc title in the 80s).

Generally though, many thai fighters have gone into kickbxing ruled events and won, very few kickboxers have succeded in thai rules, rob kaman is one but he also trained muay thai as a youngster.

Take a look at this guy and tell me he isnt one of the best stand up guys you have seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_jFwgeL0xE

Kiatadisak was known as the mike tyson of muay thai at his peak

When did i change my mind on ju jitsu?
(edited 11 years ago)
well no, what you train is far removed from muay thai, so much so you could have bolted together boxcercise with goal-kicking and pretty much come up with a kickboxing class- IMO. As you well know 'kick boxing' was created as a sport in the west to supplmenet boxing, so you know my stance, it shouldnt even be considered as a martial art.
4 point striking vs 8 (or 9 point) striking, there is no contest - it isny jsut elbows that are removed, the most effective weapon there is in cq combat - the knee is removed too. There is no clinch game, which is vital in cq. Basically a thai fighter with all these advantages wil make mincemeat out of any kickboxer

You really ought to try a well run muay thai class, and you would see instantly the differences in kicking technique and power, speed, balance in clinch etc. The boxing can also at a much higher level - muay-thai fighters have been boxing world champions too ( payakaroon won the wbc title in the 80s).

Generally though, many thai fighters have gone into kickbxing ruled events and won, very few kickboxers have succeded in thai rules, rob kaman is one but he also trained muay thai as a youngster.

Take a look at this guy and tell me he isnt one of the best stand up guys you have seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_jFwgeL0xE

Kiatadisak was known as the mike tyson of muay thai at his peak

When did i change my mind on ju jitsu?

What?? You don't actually know what I train in. Kickboxing is such a vague term it's impossible for you to know how I train. The only difference between what I train in and MT is that you can't use elbows or clinch. We do use knees and we practise takedowns from countered kicks.

And I have done MT before.

Actually, this is totally pointless. You're either too obnoxious or just too stupid to read and understand what I write. You don't know how I train and you don't even read my posts so I'm not going to bother with you.
What?? You don't actually know what I train in. Kickboxing is such a vague term it's impossible for you to know how I train. The only difference between what I train in and MT is that you can't use elbows or clinch. We do use knees and we practise takedowns from countered kicks.

And I have done MT before.

Actually, this is totally pointless. You're either too obnoxious or just too stupid to read and understand what I write. You don't know how I train and you don't even read my posts so I'm not going to bother with you.

I dont think you even know what it is you are training in - kickboxing is specifically a 4 point only striking system, as is practiced in competiton (ie World Kickboxing championships) :rolleyes: It didnt even commonly use low leg kicks till western fghters started viewing and copying muay thai lol. The fact you dont knowthis doesnt surprise me, and pointing out you are showing yourself brainless in discussing martial arts isnt being 'obnoxious' its just pointing out the obvious.
So that adds kickboxing (which you claim to do) to kung fu, bjj, submission grappling and i think martial arts in general to the list of things you dont have a clue about.

do me a favour, wiki some style that you can read enough on to actually make some factual statement about. otherwise there isnt much point in you contributing to the Martial Arts Society thread.
(edited 11 years ago)
I dont think you even know what it is you are training in - kickboxing is specifically a 4 point only striking system, as is practiced in competiton (ie World Kickboxing championships) :rolleyes: It didnt even commonly use low leg kicks till western fghters started viewing and copying muay thai lol. The fact you dont knowthis doesnt surprise me, and pointing out you are showing yourself brainless in discussing martial arts isnt being 'obnoxious' its just pointing out the obvious.
So that adds kickboxing (which you claim to do) to kung fu, bjj, submission grappling and i think martial arts in general to the list of things you dont have a clue about.

do me a favour, wiki some style that you can read enough on to actually make some factual statement about. otherwise there isnt much point in you contributing to the Martial Arts Society thread.

Are you serious haha? I know what I train in. You actually think you know what I train in. We practise knees and occasionally elbows, depending on what sort of thing we're doing (those are banned in competition though). It's not MT, the style is different. You keep going on about how I do western kickboxing, I don't, the style I train in comes from Iran. I think I trust my coach more than some internet chun warrior lol.
Are you serious haha? I know what I train in. You actually think you know what I train in. We practise knees and occasionally elbows, depending on what sort of thing we're doing (those are banned in competition though). It's not MT, the style is different. You keep going on about how I do western kickboxing, I don't, the style I train in comes from Iran. I think I trust my coach more than some internet chun warrior lol.

LOL iranian boxercise and judo, probably the most useless training i could think of. No wonder you are clueless about martial arts, it all makes sense now
LOL iranian boxercise and judo, probably the most useless training i could think of. No wonder you are clueless about martial arts, it all makes sense now

Eh, it's cool, you're just trolling now. Surprised you haven't actually been banned from this forum yet.
Eh, it's cool, you're just trolling now. Surprised you haven't actually been banned from this forum yet.

trolling? didnt you jsut say you do iranian kick boxing?
trolling? didnt you jsut say you do iranian kick boxing?

As I said, my coach was scheduled to fight Cung Le and has a history of KOing people. It's not 'boxercise' or whatever you want to call it.
As I said, my coach was scheduled to fight Cung Le and has a history of KOing people. It's not 'boxercise' or whatever you want to call it.

yeh, see none of that sentence is much better than stating you do 'iranian kickboxing'.

ie picture me saying "i do swedish-jujitsu and my coach is scheduled to fight The Rock who has a history of suplexing people"...

I think this 'conversation' has run its course, but if you have any other funny martial arts stories, let me know
i dont know about 'kickboxing' to me that is akin to the boxercise you do in gym class
i only have experinece of muay thai, which is highly technical, assuming the people you spar with know what they are doing. If you dont have good technique, your sparring session would end pretty quickly

What is your definition of 'good' Aikido has its uses as do most established martial arts.

So you are both wrong.

Nah, there are a lot of legitimately good kickboxing schools. They're just more limited in the strikes they use than Muay Thai. However, I do agree with you that Muay Thai > Kickiboxing.

Aikido only works on semi-compliant opponents. So it is useful for low-level law enforcement, mental health professionals, et cetera - basically on people who are resisting but aren't really resisting.

Original post by Z-Ninja
No i havnt, but kickboxing does not include complicated patterns such as kata's that you have to learn, my bad in the previous post i meant compared to wing chun kickboxing would be easier to pick up.

Aikido is however good you make it bro, it can actually be really effective :tongue: if you know how to use it.

That's a good thing; practising kata forms is an obsolete method of training. Hell, kata weren't even originally meant as a learning tool; they were meant to preserve techniques in an age before widespread literacy, video, internet, et cetera.

I've sparred with many Aikidoka. They all robotically (awkward movement; it's obviously they practise rigid forms more than spar) grab for your wrist, off-balance themselves in the attempt and get foot-swept.

I know they wouldnt last 5 seconds standing with a thai fighter in the class of Payakaroon, Kiatadisak or Pramuk. I doubt your kickboxing buddies would last even 2 seconds with them.

Haha, you like Brazilian Jiu-jitsu now? I thought all we did was hug eachother in pajamas? :biggrin:
yeh, see none of that sentence is much better than stating you do 'iranian kickboxing'.

ie picture me saying "i do swedish-jujitsu and my coach is scheduled to fight The Rock who has a history of suplexing people"...

I think this 'conversation' has run its course, but if you have any other funny martial arts stories, let me know

I think, going back to how this originally started, my point is that no wing chun or aikido guy is going to seriously give a kickboxer any real competition. Ok, sweet, glad we got this settled, you can go slap some coathangers now.

Original post by Einheri
Nah, there are a lot of legitimately good kickboxing schools. They're just more limited in the strikes they use than Muay Thai. However, I do agree with you that Muay Thai > Kickiboxing.

It depends on the rules though. I don't think either of them are necessarily better than each other because they can both be extremely practical. If you look at MMA even pure boxing is becoming more popular. Nick Diaz, JDS etc. have all been plowing through guys using pretty much just their hands. Obviously in a MT fight a MT fighter will do better than most kickboxers but in an MMA fight it's more complicated than that, plenty of MT guys get destroyed by boxers (think Nate Diaz vs Cerrone etc.)
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest