The Student Room Group

Science graduates 'lack skills needed by business'

Scroll to see replies

This is because you have "science courses" that require say, CCD to get on to. :rolleyes:

Scrap those doss courses, and give more funding to the worthwhile institutes to improve their science intake. Problem solved.
Reply 21
Original post by BO'H
science graduates are manifestly NOT an essential part of the economy despite what the STEM tedes tell you. how much 'scientific research' delivers the potential for profit in the short or medium term? not very much.

Evidently stupidity knows no bounds.

Science and technology have forged the modern world. Further more, the possibilities for future developments are incredible. Unfortunately, however, the ignoramuses who run this county have poor understanding of science and technology and so many of the inventions and discoveries that drive our economy, such as the world wide web, are invented by scientists in their spare time, rather than with the aid of governmental support.
Reply 22
Original post by 3nTr0pY
Evidently stupidity knows no bounds.

Science and technology have forged the modern world. Further more, the possibilities for future developments are incredible. Unfortunately, however, the ignoramuses who run this county have poor understanding of science and technology and so many of the inventions and discoveries that drive our economy, such as the world wide web, are invented by scientists in their spare time, rather than with the aid of governmental support.

remind me how bill gates and steve jobs got on at university

science skills and business skills are different things; sadly most of you lot are too dumb to appreciate that
Reply 23
Original post by BO'H
science graduates are manifestly NOT an essential part of the economy despite what the STEM tedes tell you. how much 'scientific research' delivers the potential for profit in the short or medium term? not very much.

Are you joking? STEM grads are an ESSENTIAL part of the economy. Scientific research has brought us to the stage we are today - your computer was designed and built by STEM grads - the bullets people shoot are designed by STEM grads - the TV you watch is built by STEM grads and the drugs you take are by STEM grads.

Sure we could just concentrate on short term profit or we could invest in long term research that can improve the quality of life of the human race.

DOUCHEBAG!

oh by the way over 5 million jobs in the UK are directly employed in the science sector - just finding the source for it....
Reply 24
Original post by TurboCretin
Hmmmm.

what I meant was that in a career that is the salary ceiling in research but that would be a pretty awesome starting salary as a graduate.
Reply 25
Original post by BO'H
sure, after you have calculated the number of the STEM graduates who made a direct contribution to those developments as a proportion of every STEM graduate in the world since 1950

You are one ignorant mother F***er aren't you!
Reply 26
Original post by BO'H
remind me how bill gates and steve jobs got on at university

science skills and business skills are different things; sadly most of you lot are too dumb to appreciate that

Jobs-phenomenal salesman.
Gates-essentially great tech designer. So basically science in this context.

I'm not sure what your point is here besides the fact that these guys figured university wasn't the best way to do what they wanted.
Reply 27
Original post by babyjustin
Are you joking? STEM grads are an ESSENTIAL part of the economy. Scientific research has brought us to the stage we are today - your computer was designed and built by STEM grads - the bullets people shoot are designed by STEM grads - the TV you watch is built by STEM grads and the drugs you take are by STEM grads.

Sure we could just concentrate on short term profit or we could invest in long term research that can improve the quality of life of the human race.

DOUCHEBAG!

oh by the way over 5 million jobs in the UK are directly employed in the science sector - just finding the source for it....

see my reply above

btw - personal insults - the last refuge of the guy who has lost the argument
Reply 28
Original post by BO'H

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_by_revenue
Most of the top companies there are based on Oil and Gas.
The oil and gas industry wouldn't be anywhere without scientific knowledge. Electronic companies such as Apple wouldn't exist without scientific knowledge. Pharmaceutical industries wouldn't exist without scientific knowledge.

Science is the hidden spine of most companies and the economy.
Original post by NB_ide

Science degrees tend to just churn out absolutely useless people with no idea how the world works, .

I'm pretty sure that is what they spend 4 years studying.
Reply 30
Original post by chrislpp
Yea, sure every science graduate should just start up a multi-million, even billion dollar company.

No - only the best. But every science graduate has the potential to discover new drugs for example that will be worth millions.
Reply 31
Original post by Slumpy
Jobs-phenomenal salesman.
Gates-essentially great tech designer. So basically science in this context.

I'm not sure what your point is here besides the fact that these guys figured university wasn't the best way to do what they wanted.

my point is that the two most successful tech entrepreneurs of the last few decades (except maybe ellison and allen) didn't finish university

and for every biotech billionaire there's 50,000 science teachers

suck it up
Okay.. lets sum this up another way.

You have a choice of science or business. People can only learn one. All previous knowledge of the world gained from both areas is forgotten. So what do you choose? Science or business?
Reply 33
Original post by NB_ide
Science skills/knowledge are far less useful to a business grad than business skills to a science grad (or to anyone). Pretty much everything that happens in the world of work is "business", and a science grad without good training in business is basically useless and can at best be somebody's lab bitch on £13k for life.

Science degrees tend to just churn out absolutely useless people with no idea how the world works, below-average social manipulation skills, and no decent employment prospects.

Are you high? Seriously anyone can go into business if they have Capital and a good idea for a service or good that can generate cash flow. We need more scientists and less 'business grads'.
Original post by Cephalus
They are undervalued because alot of them actually try and go into business which is obviously the place where they shouldn't be. Success in the sciences is not equal to success in business.
There's nothing wrong with going into business with a science degree. I did genetics at UCL graduating in 2009 and only ~40% of the people I graduated with are still in science.

To say the other 60% are not successful is wrong though. You have a few working in things like teaching, police (scene of crime officer. Not fantastically well paid but really interesting/ rewarding), armed forces... and then around 20% working in the city as accountants, lawyers and so on. That said, very few people start degrees in genetics without a strong background in numeracy skills.
Reply 35
Original post by TurboCretin
Hmmmm.

This is what I thought.
Oh woe is me I can't afford my bmw and my hobby of high class call girls on my meagre salary of 30 grand a year.
WAKE UP YOU ENTITLED IDIOTS.
Reply 36
Original post by No Man
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_by_revenue
Most of the top companies there are based on Oil and Gas.
The oil and gas industry wouldn't be anywhere without scientific knowledge. Electronic companies such as Apple wouldn't exist without scientific knowledge. Pharmaceutical industries wouldn't exist without scientific knowledge.

Science is the hidden spine of most companies and the economy.

top oil and gas companies by market cap are there because of commodity traders not scientists
Reply 37
Original post by BO'H
my point is that the two most successful tech entrepreneurs of the last few decades (except maybe ellison and allen) didn't finish university

and for every biotech billionaire there's 50,000 science teachers

suck it up

Ok then...but how's that relevant? Your claim that we don't need scientists is just ludicrously laughable-the fact that these guys were sharp enough to not need to finish their degrees is pretty irrelevant.

Original post by BO'H
top oil and gas companies by market cap are there because of commodity traders not scientists

lol
Reply 38
anyway, it's been fun arguing but i gotta go
Reply 39
Original post by BO'H

But who are the people that find, purify, and form the commodities to trade? And also the people who find new ways to make the companies more efficient so that traders can continue trading? Scientists.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending