The Student Room Group

Marketing /computer science?

I'm stuck between doing a computer science degree and a marketing degree.
I know both are very different fields
Unsure if I should pursue marketing as a masters degree as I would like to combine it with business development or entrepreneurship.

A part of me would love to working in a creative office environment creating and generating ideas for projects and one day start up a small business but on the other hand a part of me would love to be a software developer and again set up a business .

I feel like it's harder for me to pick one as I originally wanted to go to uni to study fashion so I could be a designer as that was and still is the ultimate dream I just can't do want to spend alot just to have a 10% chance of getting a job in the fashion industry and if I can do it with getting a degree I will but obviously I need business knowledge.

I know one person that works in software development and they enjoy their job and earn a decent wage where I know two people who studied marketing at average universities and one is living the dream travelling and getting involved in projects for Sony and the other is working as a support worker.

I have tried to gain work experience in both but I'm failing so I'm currently learning the basics of both subjects.

I'm just stuck decision wise idk if anyone can help alittle
Original post by Rose_99
I'm stuck between doing a computer science degree and a marketing degree.
I know both are very different fields
Unsure if I should pursue marketing as a masters degree as I would like to combine it with business development or entrepreneurship.

A part of me would love to working in a creative office environment creating and generating ideas for projects and one day start up a small business but on the other hand a part of me would love to be a software developer and again set up a business .

I feel like it's harder for me to pick one as I originally wanted to go to uni to study fashion so I could be a designer as that was and still is the ultimate dream I just can't do want to spend alot just to have a 10% chance of getting a job in the fashion industry and if I can do it with getting a degree I will but obviously I need business knowledge.

I know one person that works in software development and they enjoy their job and earn a decent wage where I know two people who studied marketing at average universities and one is living the dream travelling and getting involved in projects for Sony and the other is working as a support worker.

I have tried to gain work experience in both but I'm failing so I'm currently learning the basics of both subjects.

I'm just stuck decision wise idk if anyone can help alittle

Right, I am going to just drop the truth about both areas:
You don't need a degree to go into computer science or marketing. You can go into either areas with a degree in any subject, or without any degree at all.
If anything, getting the appropriate professional qualification (in either fields) would probably get you further than a degree in either. For example, a CIM diploma up to level 6 is recognised worldwide, very likely cheaper than a degree (for levels 3 and 6), and is appreciated by employers. A specific certificate in say cybersecurity would probably get you further when applying for cybersecurity roles than a degree in CS.
The degrees would matter if you want to become an academic in either fields.

If you did an undergrad in marketing (for any reason), you can also do a master's conversion in CS.

Personally, I consider CS to be the more difficult degree and more respected than marketing. However, that's just me.

If you are looking into web development, I would strongly recommend looking into freecodecamp.org. Going through a number of their projects can give you a taste of programming that you're looking for. Do note, software development involves a lot of problem solving and not just creating stuff.
Marketing in practice, on the other hand, involves a lot of selling. There are plenty of marketing gurus out there to learn from; I would pick the one who you resonate with the most.
When it comes to getting the job in the appropriate sector, it can come down to what sort of personality you have. If you're more of a people person, then I would lean more to marketing roles. If you're more analytical, I would lean more to software development. Having said that, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't learn the skills and knowledge for either areas, if they interest you. Having the knowledge and skills can get you far irrespective of whether you want to pursue these areas for a career.

Note: You definitely don't need a business degree to start a business (plenty of business owners around the word have managed without business degrees). If anything, I would recommend a good and very credible business mentor to learn from.
Reply 2
Thank you for your advice and I wish I didn't need a degree inthe either both require a degree for most jobs I feel the both fields are becoming competitive I've only been able to apply for 2 software development apprenticeships and every marketing apprenticeship pays £6 an hour and most internships are for students or graduates

Personality wise I'm more of a creative person, people skills and maths don't come naturally its something I have improved on and I'm still trying to find more ways to improve .

Computer science wise I'm looking more into software development as I'm interested in the programming side of things, marketing wise I'm more interested in product marketing , advertising would be great to get into but i know its extremly hard , project management aswell , seo marketing I would just hate get into telesales.

I feel like there are more marketing /management based roles I'm interested in but I also that computer science is more the financially stable sector.

I have tried asking family about what they think of me getting into either sector , one member thinks either would be great they don't want influence my choice too much and they other just thinks I should be an art teacher even though I'm currently trying to get out of the education sector
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending