many, you?
Original post by bmqib
many, you?

lol don't joke.
Reply 2622
Original post by Hackett
lol don't joke.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2036714

Don't see why you were giving her **** over lack of work experience...
Original post by SonnyZH

the guys in la la land.
Reply 2624
Original post by SonnyZH

Ah that's fine, I don't really care THAT much but thanks for pointing that out :smile:

Original post by Hackett
the guys in la la land.

Possible.
Reply 2625
Original post by lilys
Ah that's fine, I don't really care THAT much but thanks for pointing that out :smile:

Possible.

I was curious cos it says you go to my uni :colondollar:, was hoping you'd say you didn't prepare or something
Reply 2626
Original post by bmqib
I was curious cos it says you go to my uni :colondollar:, was hoping you'd say you didn't prepare or something

Fair enough. I could have emphasised some skills on my CV more than I had so I think this might have been the issue.
Reply 2627
Hi everyone..

I have only just recently become interested in Investment Banking so this might actually be a silly question.

I just finished my A-Levels and got A*ABB. I know those grades are not amazing. However, I am starting at UCL this September doing Economics and Business. And from what I've gathered UCL is one of the target unis for IB.

I was wondering if my grades at A-level would significantly hinder my chances of getting into IB later on, the A* being in Politics, A in Maths and Bs in Economics and History.

Thanks for help..
Original post by nala.
Hi everyone..

I have only just recently become interested in Investment Banking so this might actually be a silly question.

I just finished my A-Levels and got A*ABB. I know those grades are not amazing. However, I am starting at UCL this September doing Economics and Business. And from what I've gathered UCL is one of the target unis for IB.

I was wondering if my grades at A-level would significantly hinder my chances of getting into IB later on, the A* being in Politics, A in Maths and Bs in Economics and History.

Thanks for help..

No not all, those A - levels are fine.
Reply 2629
[INDENT]Hi guys,

I am applying to bulge bracket IBs Summer Internships this year. Last year I have made a couple of unsuccessful Spring Week applications (mainly failed because of no experience with online testing).
Do these unsuccessful applications influence the chances of getting an offer?

Thanks[/INDENT]

Original post by saks10111

If I recall correctly, Nomura and JPM do require you fill in module scores in the online app, but it's unclear how much emphasis is placed on it (solid work experience more than makes up for somewhat weak grades in 1st year)
Reply 2631
Original post by nala.
Hi everyone..

Thanks for help..

Is this the SSEES course?
Reply 2632
Original post by lilys
Is this the SSEES course?

yes it is. why? :smile:
Hello everyone,

Now i'm not targetting the big guys. Just smaller consultancy firms for an internship or either IB for business technology or general management type internships in the summer and would like your opinions on me please.

Grades:

- AABccc (A levels: Economics, IT, Biology / AS: Maths, General Studes, Critical thinking.)
- 2:1 in Bsc Economics at UEA in my first year. (I know definitely not target.

Work experience:

- I emailed a few firms asking to work for free (i'll mention this to show i'm keen) and managed to get work currently from the start of august until i go back at a Health, Safety and environmental consultancy with large clients doing systems analysis work. I currently examine how the boss does his systems and make them better. I.e. Before he would email his working schedule to everyone but i made an outlook calendar that automatically updates to every employees computer. Lot's of things like that. Also automating the invoicing process etc. The MD said he'd give me a good reference as that's what i wanted in return for working.

- Volunteering at the UEA Nightline student support service.

- Was a teaching assistant at a school that dealt with children with disabilities in sixth form.

- Mcdonald's employee during sixth form.

Extra curricular:

- Cofounder and treasurer of the UEA Paintball society

Thanks. I just feel disadvantaged when i constantly see "target universities for IB".
Hi all, I was wondering if you could help me out here!
I would just like to know if one can get into a BO role without any relevant internships. Of course, like the FO role there is a chance but I am unsure if the acceptance rate for the BO role will severely be hammered without an internship.
Lastly, I've read somewhere here that if someone wants to go into FO, they should avoid accepting a BO offer like the plague. Why is that? Surely, experience is experience.
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 2635
Original post by llamalad200
Hello everyone,

Now i'm not targetting the big guys. Just smaller consultancy firms for an internship or either IB for business technology or general management type internships in the summer and would like your opinions on me please.

Grades:

- AABccc (A levels: Economics, IT, Biology / AS: Maths, General Studes, Critical thinking.)
- 2:1 in Bsc Economics at UEA in my first year. (I know definitely not target.

Work experience:

- I emailed a few firms asking to work for free (i'll mention this to show i'm keen) and managed to get work currently from the start of august until i go back at a Health, Safety and environmental consultancy with large clients doing systems analysis work. I currently examine how the boss does his systems and make them better. I.e. Before he would email his working schedule to everyone but i made an outlook calendar that automatically updates to every employees computer. Lot's of things like that. Also automating the invoicing process etc. The MD said he'd give me a good reference as that's what i wanted in return for working.

- Volunteering at the UEA Nightline student support service.

- Was a teaching assistant at a school that dealt with children with disabilities in sixth form.

- Mcdonald's employee during sixth form.

Extra curricular:

- Cofounder and treasurer of the UEA Paintball society

Thanks. I just feel disadvantaged when i constantly see "target universities for IB".

You could have went to a better Uni than UEA with those grades. It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely. Maybe consider doing a masters at a better uni.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2636
Hi guys,
I am a new one to this forum and my situation is a bit difficult. I am 25, originally from India, i’ve got strong legal grounding + 2 years legal work experience in India. Last November I graduated from the UK university with my LLM in Commercial Law. Now I am considering the option to shift my career to the investment banking. What do you think, do I have any chances? I know i’m pretty old for that and my chances seem to be quite slim, but still... i desperately need your advice coz i’m stuck. Btw, heard that there are companies that provide the special training (such as training the street etc). Is it worthwhile? Badly need advice. Thanks a lot.
Reply 2637
Original post by Superman_Jr
Hi all, I was wondering if you could help me out here!
I would just like to know if one can get into a BO role without any relevant internships. Of course, like the FO role there is a chance but I am unsure if the acceptance rate for the BO role will severely be hammered without an internship.
Lastly, I've read somewhere here that if someone wants to go into FO, they should avoid accepting a BO offer like the plague. Why is that? Surely, experience is experience.
Thanks! :smile:

Experience is experience, but some is more relevant than others. FO roles are client facing, long hours and highly pressured. Experience you gain in BO internships will not be client facing and less hours (the high pressure or not is arguable) so is deemed less relevant, even less relevant than say accounting, actuarial or consultancy internships.

Plus interviewers will question why you went for a BO internship when you wanted to do FO. Couldn't you get in? Why didn't you search wider for FO roles? Etc etc. They want to see people who are focused on what they want to do in their careers and are have turned over every proverbial stone to further that career path.

On your other question, yes, you can get BO roles without relevant internships. Same is true of FO, but it's harder to do so simply because there are more people applying for each spot, so the competition is harder.
Reply 2638
Hey

I've just started year 12, and was wondering whether i've left it too late to make a push for IB. I got good GCSEs (12A*), but have no work experience or EC that relate well to IB.

What degrees are best for going into IB and have I left it too late, considering my A level options are; Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics ? (these may be able to be changed).

Edit: 2 dislikes, no written feedback. Don't know what to make of that tbh.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Elys
Hey

I've just started year 12, and was wondering whether i've left it too late to make a push for IB. I got good GCSEs (12A*), but have no work experience or EC that relate well to IB.

What degrees are best for going into IB and have I left it too late, considering my A level options are; Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics ? (these may be able to be changed).

Edit: 2 dislikes, no written feedback. Don't know what to make of that tbh.

Probably got dislikes because you probably have a better than average shot at IB. Great GCSEs are perfect and you have good subjects at A-Level that they will like so just stick with that. Maybe take Economics instead of going all out on Science? Try and get involved with Student Union as a president or treasurer or something if your college do that or do some extra-curricular that is either highly relevant such as an investment society or very athletic demonstrating team-work. Try and get on some insight programmes at Investment Banks or some experience and you'll be flying. And make sure you go for the top uni's :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending