The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7580
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Jackie Brown is the best Tarantino film.*

*other opinions are available. :wink:
Original post by Mess.
I didn't even understand on what level that plan was meant to even pretend to succeed.

I thought that film was pretty **** and I might be mistaken but the last really good Tarantino film I can remember was Dawn til Dusk and that's only because I like vampire films :dontknow:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I've got that, but not watched it yet, it's 'From Dusk til Dawn' isn't it? I liked Reservoir Dogs but there are better similar movies like Michael Mann's Heat, and he wrote a good one 'True Romance' but didn't direct it. But for me, Quentin Tarantino is massively overrated.
Reply 7582
Original post by kratos90
I've got that, but not watched it yet, it's 'From Dusk til Dawn' isn't it? I liked Reservoir Dogs but there are better similar movies like Michael Mann's Heat, and he wrote a good one 'True Romance' but didn't direct it. But for me, Quentin Tarantino is massively overrated.

He is horribly overrated. Reservoir Dogs was fine but as you said there have been better in the same genre. There have been better films than his vampire one as well.

Even Pulp Fiction, it was very good but it seems to be held up by many as this pinnacle of film making :dontknow:

As for Kill Bill :sigh: They were all terrible.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7583
Original post by aja89
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Jackie Brown is the best Tarantino film.*

*other opinions are available. :wink:

My favourite Tarantino films is Reservoir Dogs, but I'll agree Jackie Brown is stupidly underrated and deserves to be regarded as amongst his best. Certainly better than Inglourious Basterds, in my opinion.

As to Tarantino, isn't it a bit inevitable that he's going to be overrated with the following he's got? Same with Pulp Fiction, really: it's got cult status, and will almost certainly be held up by some as the pinnacle of whatever. I'd agree that they're overrated, but because Tarantino and his films are technically accomplished and substantially different from a lot of other stuff, I don't find it as annoying as some other instances of what I feel are unnecessary deification (like Nolan, for example).

On a related note, guess who's going to have a cameo in Django Unchained. :p:
Reply 7584
I liked Kill Bill 1 & Inglorious basterds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like all of Tarantino's movies apart from Jackie Brown :colondollar: Just don't understand all the hype about it on movie forums. Guess I just have poor taste :wink:

Anyways, going watching Looper tonight, it's been getting really good reviews so I'm quite excited :biggrin:

Oh God. I like his movies but he's a horrible actor. His cameo in Pulp Fiction is possibly the most cringy scene I have ever watched.
Original post by SweatyGoldfish
Anyways, going watching Looper tonight, it's been getting really good reviews so I'm quite excited :biggrin:

Ooooh, let us know what you think, won't you? Without giving away too many spoilers, of course. :tongue:
By the way, has anyone seen a short film called Zero? Watched it earlier and I really liked it. :biggrin:

Original post by PoGo HoPz
Ooooh, let us know what you think, won't you? Without giving away too many spoilers, of course. :tongue:

Seriously, GO WATCH IT.

I was expecting it to be just a generic action really, but tbh I didn't know that much about it before going in. It was a lot more serious than I expected, quite a lot of drama, and it's not exactly complicated, but it definitely requires a bit of thinking.

Overall it was pretty incredible. Best film I've seen at the cinema for a loooong time.
Original post by Abiraleft

Also, have you read the Ghost World comics/graphic novel from which the film was adapted? That's really good as well. :h:

I haven't, but I will be sure to check them out :biggrin:

Original post by Ape Gone Insane

I was thinking of checking out Rian Johnson's other films such as Brick and The Brothers Bloom. Has anyone here seen them?

I really enjoyed Brick. I know the word 'unique' is overrated when it comes to describing movies but it really does apply to Brick :biggrin:
Reply 7591
Looper was immense! Loved it!
Reply 7592
Original post by SweatyGoldfish
Seriously, GO WATCH IT.

I was expecting it to be just a generic action really, but tbh I didn't know that much about it before going in. It was a lot more serious than I expected, quite a lot of drama, and it's not exactly complicated, but it definitely requires a bit of thinking.

Overall it was pretty incredible. Best film I've seen at the cinema for a loooong time.

Agreed! I expected trash like In Time, Total Recall, list goes on, etc... It was something else entirely; a legend :wink: :lol:

Seriously, was amazing!!
So Looper was predictably great.

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Hyperboles abound for Looper:

I was thinking of checking out Rian Johnson's other films such as Brick and The Brothers Bloom. Has anyone here seen them?

Brick's excellent. Brothers Bloom is a bit smug at times, but generally good. He also directed the Fly episode of Breaking Bad, which is either the best or worst episode of the entire series, depending on who you ask.
Reply 7594
Original post by sheep_go_baa
I haven't, but I will be sure to check them out :biggrin:

I really enjoyed Brick. I know the word 'unique' is overrated when it comes to describing movies but it really does apply to Brick :biggrin:

I really like the GIF in your sig. Community is awesome. I watched every episode in 5 days. :colondollar:

I liked the style of Brick, but I had a hard time following the plot.
Tempted to get Netflix and start watching some of these movies people are suggesting. (;<
Anyone who's seen Sherlock Holmes and a Game of Shadows does anyone have any theories pertaining to Irene Adler?? :biggrin: I've just re-watched it and i'm sorry but i just can't accept what happened to her - this is probably a blatant spoiler in what i'm implying but what do you think? Do you think she will re-appear in the 3rd film? Also i know that there's no romantic interest between them but Holmes showed virtually no emotion when he threw her hankie over the ship. PLUS when Sherlock left Moriarty's room at the university, Moriarty placed the black queen back onto the chess board - thus implying that she's still a part of the 'game.'

Maybe i'm grabbing at straws but i want to see her come back :facepalm:
Reply 7597
The men that almost played James Bond

Spoiler

Any thoughts on these? :beard:
Reply 7598
Nearly all of them would have been embarrassingly bad :h:
Colin Farrell would have been an interesting choice, actually. As would Hugh Grant. :yep:

EDIT: Sorry, I meant Colin Firth. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest