The Student Room Group

Maths AQA C1 revision - 14th January 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Taran Hare
Yeah I put [3 2] but not sure what about the factor theoren question??Its easy but for some reason i completely blanked out. Man I hate Maths! Aiming for a B.

i got the one of them was a factor (x+1) i think

then for the remainder question, i THINK i got the remainder was 12....or it might have been 16... can't remember :/
Original post by Taran Hare
Yeah I put [3 2] but not sure what about the factor theoren question??Its easy but for some reason i completely blanked out. Man I hate Maths! Aiming for a B.

I didn't know what the third factor was when it asked you to express p(x) as a product of 3 factors. Does anybody know what the third factor was and how did you work it out? Thanks in advance if you answer my question.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by Ferrari_1996
Did anybody else get 5 as the radius for the circle?

yeah i got that r=5
Did anybody else get 5 as the radius for the circle?

yes
Reply 144
Would anyone hazard a guess as to what the A grade boundary would be?
Reply 145
I didn't know what the third factor was when it asked you to express p(x) as a product of 3 factors. Does anybody know what the third factor was and how did you work it out? Many thanks in advance.

i got that there was a repeated root of (x-3) so when you were asked to draw the graph the curve touched the x-axis at 3
Reply 146
I didn't know what the third factor was when it asked you to express p(x) as a product of 3 factors. Does anybody know what the third factor was and how did you work it out? Many thanks in advance.

The product of p(x) as linear factors was:

(x+1)(x-3)^2 if I remember correctly.

To work them out I just used the factor theorem, ie. if x-3 was a factor, p(3) would = 0.
Original post by nursy96
yeah i got that r=5

Good. It was root25 wasn't it?
Reply 148
I didn't know what the third factor was when it asked you to express p(x) as a product of 3 factors. Does anybody know what the third factor was and how did you work it out? Thanks in advance if you answer my question.

(x-3)(x-3)(x+2)
Original post by nursy96
i got that there was a repeated root of (x-3) so when you were asked to draw the graph the curve touched the x-axis at 3

How do you know that there was a repeated root of (x-3)?
Reply 150

yep :smile:

Same thing
Original post by zakir123
(x-3)(x-3)(x+2)

Ok thanks but how do you know if there are two factors that are the same? Is it because, if the three numbers are multiplied together, they must equal 18?
Original post by SherlockHolmes
I remember my answer was 2/7. The fraction given in the question had root18 and root32 somewhere in the question.

2root2 divided by root18+root32 I think.

crap i forgot to simpify it further to get 2/7. I.always do something like thus in maths!
Reply 154
How do you know that there was a repeated root of (x-3)?

because you knew (x-3) was a factor from a previous question, when you did long division you got (x2-x-6) and the two factors from that were (x+2)(x-3) so there was a repeated root of (x-3)
Reply 155
Original post by Fillly
Would anyone hazard a guess as to what the A grade boundary would be?

maybe 60 as normal 80% cuz fairly a decent paper 52 for a B 44 for a C
these are however by perecentages cud change depending on everyone else but majority found it quite easy so ill asume aqa will stick to their guns and do the grade boundaries as they should be
Original post by nursy96
because you knew (x-3) was a factor from a previous question, when you did long division you got (x2-x-6) and the two factors from that were (x+2)(x-3) so there was a repeated root of (x-3)

I used the factor theorem instead of long division. Weren't you supposed to use the factor theorem instead of long division?
How many marks do people think you could drop to get an A?
Reply 158
Ok thanks but how do you know if there are two factors that are the same? Is it because, if the three numbers are multiplied together, they must equal 18?

yes you can mutliply it out which i did in the exam and came out to the correct equation also wen drawring the graph the curve on intrests the x axis 1 and touches it at 3 then shoots off
Reply 159
I used the factor theorem instead of long division. Weren't you supposed to use the factor theorem instead of long division?

i think you can do both but long division along with the previous factor shows the three linear factors required in the question, its just quicker than using the factor theorem most of the time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending