The Student Room Group

how much revision needed for year 10

I’m currently in year 10 and did my first mocks in January and did really bad. I want to do better so I am able to do well in my June mocks and my real GCSEs. I get so lazy quickly and I don’t really know how to revise and if I should be taking notes for every single subject. I really need advice because I do want to get 7, 8 and 9s. The subjects I am doing are:

Maths (higher edexcel)
English language (aqa)
English literature (aqa)
RE (aqa)
Combined science (aqa higher)
Sociology (aqa)
History (edexcel)
French (aqa)

It would be really appreciated if anyone has done or do these subjects and how to revise for each of them and just general revision needed for year 10!
I don't think I revised at all in year 10. As long as you are attending your lessons and things are generally making sense then I don't think there's any particular benefit to doing dedicated revision so early. Also most universities and all employers don't care about GCSEs outside of maths and English. Not much point burning yourself out before you even get to 6th form...
Original post by username.s01
I’m currently in year 10 and did my first mocks in January and did really bad. I want to do better so I am able to do well in my June mocks and my real GCSEs. I get so lazy quickly and I don’t really know how to revise and if I should be taking notes for every single subject. I really need advice because I do want to get 7, 8 and 9s. The subjects I am doing are:

Maths (higher edexcel)
English language (aqa)
English literature (aqa)
RE (aqa)
Sociology (aqa)
History (edexcel)
French (aqa)

It would be really appreciated if anyone has done or do these subjects and how to revise for each of them and just general revision needed for year 10!
in year 10, I only really revised hard for English/maths/science with little bits of revision for other subjects every now and then. for most of your subjects there are courses on seneca learning, which provide a good, clear overview/summary of all the content you need. quizlet and past papers are good too

Maths (higher edexcel)
English language (aqa)
English literature (aqa)
RE (aqa)
Sociology (aqa)
History (edexcel)
French (aqa)

I'm in year 11 now and I do all the same subjects as you except from RE. When I was in year 10 and done my first ever mock, I failed miserably on everything except English and Sociology. I only started revising properly last year October and I done very well on my mocks because of the way I revised. I used a mixture of mindmaps, flashcards, past papers and watching videos only. Websites like physicsandmathstutour and free science lessons definitely saved my grades(for science maths). A recent website i used is mmerevise they have lots past papers and helpful resources for core subjects. For French, because you are being tested on listening speaking reading and writing, I would suggests listening to French songs and translating the lyrics. Also, watching TV shows and movies with French audios and subtitles will help you as well. There is also a french youtuber who covers french her channel is learn french with alexa. For history I don't really have any advice I just listen to my history teacher talk. Sociology my teacher has a youtube channel called OPAsociology. For English I get booklets for Macbeth, A Christmas Carol etc and I highlight key quotes. But overall, I don't really think you need to be doing hardcore revision maybe if you're not able to understand something you should ask a teacher for help or do you're own way of retaining the information yourself. wishing you the best of luck and have the most fun in year 10!!!!!!! if you want more in depth revision advice or even some of my english nots you can just reply
Reply 4
Original post by userknotfound

Maths (higher edexcel)
English language (aqa)
English literature (aqa)
RE (aqa)
Sociology (aqa)
History (edexcel)
French (aqa)

I'm in year 11 now and I do all the same subjects as you except from RE. When I was in year 10 and done my first ever mock, I failed miserably on everything except English and Sociology. I only started revising properly last year October and I done very well on my mocks because of the way I revised. I used a mixture of mindmaps, flashcards, past papers and watching videos only. Websites like physicsandmathstutour and free science lessons definitely saved my grades(for science maths). A recent website i used is mmerevise they have lots past papers and helpful resources for core subjects. For French, because you are being tested on listening speaking reading and writing, I would suggests listening to French songs and translating the lyrics. Also, watching TV shows and movies with French audios and subtitles will help you as well. There is also a french youtuber who covers french her channel is learn french with alexa. For history I don't really have any advice I just listen to my history teacher talk. Sociology my teacher has a youtube channel called OPAsociology. For English I get booklets for Macbeth, A Christmas Carol etc and I highlight key quotes. But overall, I don't really think you need to be doing hardcore revision maybe if you're not able to understand something you should ask a teacher for help or do you're own way of retaining the information yourself. wishing you the best of luck and have the most fun in year 10!!!!!!! if you want more in depth revision advice or even some of my english nots you can just reply

Thank you so so much this really helped !

Maths (higher edexcel)
English language (aqa)
English literature (aqa)
RE (aqa)
Sociology (aqa)
History (edexcel)
French (aqa)

Hi, I'm currently in Year 11 and I've had my fair share of ups and downs regarding revision.

In year 10, I think I used a flashcards from quizlet for most of my subjects, but from my perspective, it's about the subjects I'm actually good at. I revised a little extra for History as I found it was one of those subjects where I was naturally finding the subject easy to do.
Especially for something as knowledge filled as History, it might do you a favour to begin forming revision material now.
Definitely have a go at practice questions, those are important for revision - testing knowledge. If you're really feeling it, a practice paper.
I personally went to intervention my teacher held for English, because it's one of those subjects I both enjoy and am aiming for the top grades, and I still attend them now.
Sciences are a little different I believe, I'm doing triple, but even so, practice questions might just be your best friend in terms of year 10 revision.
Maths is all about practice anyways.
I actually dropped German a few weeks ago but in terms of year 10 revision, definitely vocab revision, and flashcards of conversations, practice questions and topics. Language GCSEs are an absolute circus to me.
Unfortunately I can't help with Sociology or RE.
If you want any revision tips for English I have some really good methods.
But honestly, don't worry too much, you've got 2 mocks in year 11 to smash before the real thing!
Original post by johnnycagefan1
Hi, I'm currently in Year 11 and I've had my fair share of ups and downs regarding revision.
In year 10, I think I used a flashcards from quizlet for most of my subjects, but from my perspective, it's about the subjects I'm actually good at. I revised a little extra for History as I found it was one of those subjects where I was naturally finding the subject easy to do.
Especially for something as knowledge filled as History, it might do you a favour to begin forming revision material now.
Definitely have a go at practice questions, those are important for revision - testing knowledge. If you're really feeling it, a practice paper.
I personally went to intervention my teacher held for English, because it's one of those subjects I both enjoy and am aiming for the top grades, and I still attend them now.
Sciences are a little different I believe, I'm doing triple, but even so, practice questions might just be your best friend in terms of year 10 revision.
Maths is all about practice anyways.
I actually dropped German a few weeks ago but in terms of year 10 revision, definitely vocab revision, and flashcards of conversations, practice questions and topics. Language GCSEs are an absolute circus to me.
Unfortunately I can't help with Sociology or RE.
If you want any revision tips for English I have some really good methods.
But honestly, don't worry too much, you've got 2 mocks in year 11 to smash before the real thing!
Please please share the english revision tips, I've always struggled with english and want to go from a 7 to a 9... and maybe some tips on how to enjoy/get interested in english too because I feel like screaming every lesson... I would really appreciate it!
Reply 7
Hello! I am a student in year 10 and soon have my summative assessment's in a couple of month's and those will decide my set's going into my year 11 mock's and actual GCSE's. So far due to multiple reason's I have been doing terrible in school especially with my grade's, getting barely any 4's and getting load's of 3's in some of my previous test's. I have now started revising and set up a schedule to obviously push my grade's up to 6's 7's and maybe even higher, I am currently set to do higher paper's and was wondering if anyone knows what topic's I should be revising? I have multiple CGP book's but they each have 100's of page's and I want to know if anyone has a site or something that tells us the topic's we should focus most on for each subject's so I can specifically work on them instead of wasting time on revising unnecessary topic's.I currently take, Math, Eng Lang, Eng Lit, Combined Science (Physics, Biology, Chemistry), History, Geography, Business Studies, Drama.
Maths (higher edexcel)
English language (aqa)
English literature (aqa)
RE (aqa)
Sociology (aqa)
History (edexcel)
French (aqa)

Hi, i would suggest not stressing too much in year 10. I just think in year 10 try to understand the content and listen in lessons, ask teachers questions as that will help the most. Start light revision like 1hr a day is more than enough at that stage. I am currently in year 11 and i started revising like in January ish. I can give you tips on how to revise specific subjects:
Maths: practice questions!!! Get the grade 8/9 workbooks!
English lang and lit are my weakest subjects, but i would recommend writing essays and making your teachers mark them. You could just PLAN your essays rather than writing them if you are a lazy person (like me :smile:). Keep on reading your LIT books to make you remember of the plot/story.
Science: Revise content, i tend to just blurt or write on a whiteboard, and then do practice questions. If you do the same question again and again it will eventually go in your head.
French: I am not a pro at French, but just do practice questions, try to have some grade 9 sentences prepared that you could use in your speaking/writing etc.
Maths (higher edexcel)
English language (aqa)
English literature (aqa)
RE (aqa)
Sociology (aqa)
History (edexcel)
French (aqa)

Hi, i would suggest not stressing too much in year 10. I just think in year 10 try to understand the content and listen in lessons, ask teachers questions as that will help the most. Start light revision like 1hr a day is more than enough at that stage. I am currently in year 11 and i started revising like in January ish. I can give you tips on how to revise specific subjects:

Maths: practice questions!!! Get the grade 8/9 workbooks!
English lang and lit are my weakest subjects, but i would recommend writing essays and making your teachers mark them. You could just PLAN your essays rather than writing them if you are a lazy person (like me :smile:). Keep on reading your LIT books to make you remember of the plot/story.
Science: Revise content, i tend to just blurt or write on a whiteboard, and then do practice questions. If you do the same question again and again it will eventually go in your head.
French: I am not a pro at French, but just do practice questions, try to have some grade 9 sentences prepared that you could use in your speaking/writing etc.
Original post by userknotfound

can I have some English notes for macbeth
Maths (higher edexcel)
English language (aqa)
English literature (aqa)
RE (aqa)
Sociology (aqa)
History (edexcel)
French (aqa)

Hey are you doing RE GCSE this year?
Original post by checkered-almond
Hey are you doing RE GCSE this year?

I’m doing re for gcse but not my actual exams this year. Next year im gonna do them

Quick Reply

Latest