The Student Room Group

Maclaurin expansion of sin(cosx)

Can anyone take me through how to go about this question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You know the Maclaurin expansion of cos(x) and you know the expansion of sin(x).
In order to avoid doing the entire thing for you, I'll pretend the expansion of cos(x) is f(x).
Then sin(x) = xx3/3!+x5/5!x-x^3/3!+x^5/5!… , so sin(cos(x)) = f(x)f(x)3/3!+f(x)5/5!f(x) - f(x)^3/3! + f(x)^5/5!….
But you know f(x) is a polynomial, so you can expand it in powers of x.
Reply 2
Original post by Smaug123
You know the Maclaurin expansion of cos(x) and you know the expansion of sin(x).
In order to avoid doing the entire thing for you, I'll pretend the expansion of cos(x) is f(x).
Then sin(x) = xx3/3!+x5/5!x-x^3/3!+x^5/5!… , so sin(cos(x)) = f(x)f(x)3/3!+f(x)5/5!f(x) - f(x)^3/3! + f(x)^5/5!….

That's an awful way to do it. f(x) goes on forever, how on earth would you simplify this?

@OP the maclaurin series is awful for this expression. Surely it's not for A Level FM is it?
Original post by Smaug123
Isn't f(x) = cos(x) and so not a polynomial?
Original post by rawsex
That's an awful way to do it. f(x) goes on forever, how on earth would you simplify this?

@OP the maclaurin series is awful for this expression. Surely it's not for A Level FM is it?

That's what I was thinking. It's horrible.
Reply 5
Original post by rawsex

It's really awful! And it's FP2 unfortunately :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
But cos(x) has its own polynomial expansion: 1-x^2/2+…
So substituting that into the sin(x) expansion gives the required result. The point of Maclaurin expansions is that they go on forever but you can choose to stop calculating them at some point; so if I were to choose to stop at the x^3 term, I would know the answer was ((1-x^2/2)-(1-x^2/2)^3/3!) but truncated at the x^3 term, so I know the answer must be 1-x^2/2 - 1/6 + 3x^2/4 = 5/6-x^2/4.
Alternatively stated, taking a Maclaurin expansion "infects" all other functions: if I take an expansion of a single function in an expression, then I'm free to take the expansion of all other functions in the expression, including cos.
The method I have given gives an expansion to ten terms of:

Spoiler

which is accurate to three d.p. at x=1, and accurate to 7 d.p. at x=0.1.
The general term of the expansion is indeed not nice, but the method for finding the expansion up to n terms is not particularly complicated (though you end up with lots of disgusting number-crunching to do).
(edited 11 years ago)
I suppose we could say

sin(cos(x))=cos(x)cos3(x)3!+cos5(x)5!...\displaystyle \sin(\cos(x)) =\cos(x) - \frac{\cos^3(x)}{3!} + \frac{\cos^5(x)}{5!} - ...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Indeterminate
I suppose we could say

sin(cos(x))=cosxcos3(x)3!+cos5(x)5!...\displaystyle \sin(\cos(x)) =\cos{x} - \frac{\cos^3(x)}{3!} + \frac{\cos^5(x)}{5!} - ...
That's what Smaug123 said. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RebeccaLM
It's really awful! And it's FP2 unfortunately :frown:

Then surely the question includes something like "up to the x^3 term"? I find it hard to believe that you are being asked for the general term.
Reply 10
Can anyone take me through how to go about this question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How far are you expected to expand this?

You can go straight from the definition of a Maclaurin series with

f(x) = f(0) + xf'(0) + x^2f''(x)/2! + ...

Note that sin(cosx) is an even function, so you shouldn't expect to get any odd powers of x :smile:
Reply 11
Are you sure it's not cos(sin x)? That way it wouldn't be too bad.
Original post by rawsex
It would be just as bad.
Reply 13
Original post by uncapitalised
It would be just as bad.

Differentiating it would be a bitch, but with sin(cos x) you end up with cos(1) and sin(1) terms in your expansion; whereas, you don't with cos(sin x).
Reply 14
Original post by rawsex
Differentiating it would be a bitch, but with sin(cos x) you end up with cos(1) and sin(1) terms in your expansion; whereas, you don't with cos(sin x).

Differentiating it WAS a bitch....I tried.... And yeah I managed to get that :smile: thanks though....and interesting username :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by rawsex

We had to do both

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Then surely the question includes something like "up to the x^3 term"? I find it hard to believe that you are being asked for the general term.

Yeah sorry, they asked up to the x^4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah sorry, they asked up to the x^4

Posted from TSR Mobile

up to x^4 is just madness- am i gonna use the product rule within the product rule up to f4(x) f^4(x)
iv already got:

f3(x)=sin(x)cos(cos(x))+sin3(x)cos(cos(x))32sin(2x)sin(cos(x)) f^3(x)= \sin(x)cos(cos(x))+sin^3(x)cos(cos(x)) - \frac{3}{2}sin(2x)sin(cos(x))

Besides you would need to find sin (1) and cos (1) to evaluate the series (1 radian btw) which will be messy

where did you get this question and what syllabus?

P.S Lol can you imagine trying to integrate the above derivative?
Reply 18
Original post by nahomyemane778
up to x^4 is just madness- am i gonna use the product rule within the product rule up to f4(x) f^4(x)
iv already got:

f3(x)=sin(x)cos(cos(x))+sin3(x)cos(cos(x))32sin(2x)sin(cos(x)) f^3(x)= \sin(x)cos(cos(x))+sin^3(x)cos(cos(x)) - \frac{3}{2}sin(2x)sin(cos(x))

Besides you would need to find sin (1) and cos (1) to evaluate the series (1 radian btw) which will be messy

where did you get this question and what syllabus?

P.S Lol can you imagine trying to integrate the above derivative?

It's OCR FP2 I've just given up....teacher said not to bother with it in the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's OCR FP2 I've just given up....teacher said not to bother with it in the end

Posted from TSR Mobile

its not hard just laborious- and if try finding the series expansion of sin(x) and substituting the series expansion of cos(x) into it would not be accurate would it? its an approximation of an approximation if you stopped at x^4 for the expansion of cos x

Quick Reply

Latest