The Student Room Group

Feminist Frequency

Scroll to see replies

Original post by truffle_girl
I'm sorry, but it's this bit I have trouble believing. At any rate, I'm sure there are men who could post about equally as bad experiences. Even when it comes to arse-grabbing and lewd comments, it can happen to men, too.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it and it won't be popular but, it simply isn't threatening when it happens to us. There is no intimidation factor. No hanging feeling that it might lead to something darker. It's just kind of annoying. It's different. The power dynamic is reversed.
Reply 81
Original post by redferry
Back when I was at Bristol university me and a friend were followed home from town by a group of guys in a car. When we crossed college green to get away from them they drove all the way round to intercept us in their car. They kept shouting lewd things about how they looked and what they wanted to do with us, and telling us to get in the car. When they eventually realised we were no way getting in the car they shouted 'you are butters anyway you ****ing whores' and drove off. Which, as you can imagine was a wonderful experience.

I've heard this before... have you mentioned it on TSR before or do I know you somehow? When were you at Bristol and what did you do? :s-smilie: :colondollar:
Reply 82
Original post by Robbie242
Stop going into these areas then? If you hate the abuse so much then why do put yourself in a situation where its likely, especially if your dress exposes more than what should be exposed

Well I live there so that is more than a bit difficult.

Do you not think it is a bad thing that people can't go out and wear what they like without being physically and verbally assaulted?

I mean it's got to the point now where I have a load of really nice dresses but I worry about wearing them in case I draw attention to myself. I wear glasses to nights out instead of contacts and don't go to the toilet on my own.
Reply 83
Original post by Ronove
I've heard this before... have you mentioned it on TSR before or do I know you somehow? When were you at Bristol and what did you do? :s-smilie: :colondollar:

Yeah I have mentioned it before! At least twice, once in a thread about Bristol I think, I just wanted to warn people that it's not as safe as a lot of people think!! So yeah I doubt you know me :P (I graduated last year in zoology)
Reply 84
Original post by Captain Haddock
I'm just gonna go ahead and say it and it won't be popular but, it simply isn't threatening when it happens to us. There is no intimidation factor. No hanging feeling that it might lead to something darker. It's just kind of annoying. It's different. The power dynamic is reversed.

Unless you are a small guy and a big fat woman which happened to my friend last time we went out. She was terrifying.

But I do agree with you in the vast majority of cases, at the end of the day most girls are going to struggle to carry a paralytic guy home to have sex with him, which can and does happen a fair amount the other way round. I make it my mission in clubs these days to check very drunk girls are ok!
Reply 85
Yeah I have mentioned it before! At least twice, once in a thread about Bristol I think, I just wanted to warn people that it's not as safe as a lot of people think!! So yeah I doubt you know me :P (I graduated last year in zoology)

Did you live near the Union in first year? :holmes:
Reply 86
Well I live there so that is more than a bit difficult.

Do you not think it is a bad thing that people can't go out and wear what they like without being physically and verbally assaulted?

I mean it's got to the point now where I have a load of really nice dresses but I worry about wearing them in case I draw attention to myself. I wear glasses to nights out instead of contacts and don't go to the toilet on my own.
Yes of course it is, but unfortunately many males of the age group are out for sex, and girls, though quite a few aren't, the majority are. You are a girl, if you dress up like you seem easy to get or something boys will come along and harass you, its just how it is. Similar can happen to boys also though, personally I don't like going out but that's because I'ma boring a ****, nor have I started university
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes of course it is, but unfortunately many males of the age group are out for sex, and girls, though quite a few aren't, the majority are. You are a girl, if you dress up like you seem easy to get or something boys will come along and harass you, its just how it is. Similar can happen to boys also though, personally I don't like going out but that's because I'm and boring ****, nor have I started university

lol, it doesn't mean people shouldn't complain about it just because "that's just how it is".
Reply 88
Original post by Ronove
Did you live near the Union in first year? :holmes:

Nope I lived by the Cathedral. Why, were you disguised as a man in the car calling me butters? :P
Reply 89
Original post by Chief Wiggum
lol, it doesn't mean people shouldn't complain about it just because "that's just how it is".
Go on fix it, traits are unlikely to change without major reform, and tbh I think feminism is on the bottom of the list of priorities for the UK government at the moment
Reply 90
Yes of course it is, but unfortunately many males of the age group are out for sex, and girls, though quite a few aren't, the majority are. You are a girl, if you dress up like you seem easy to get or something boys will come along and harass you, its just how it is. Similar can happen to boys also though, personally I don't like going out but that's because I'ma boring a ****, nor have I started university

yeahhhhhhh did you not read my whole thing about changing attitudes? It was this sort of thing I meant - that doesn't need to be 'how it is', men could get a better attitude towards women and realise that isn't very nice behaviour! (and vice versa in many cases)
I mean people used to say that about women having to pop out loads of babies and stay at home, and that changed.

If you start going to uni and going out you'll see how grim it can be in terms of male harassment of women.
Reply 91
Nope I lived by the Cathedral. Why, were you disguised as a man in the car calling me butters? :P

Nah a Zoology student lived in my building in first year that's all. :biggrin: And I'd definitely heard the College Green thing before.
Reply 92
Original post by Ronove
Nah a Zoology student lived in my building in first year that's all. :biggrin: And I'd definitely heard the College Green thing before.

Well if we were in the same year it might have got around, I told everyone about it including the police.
Reply 93
yeahhhhhhh did you not read my whole thing about changing attitudes? It was this sort of thing I meant - that doesn't need to be 'how it is', men could get a better attitude towards women and realise that isn't very nice behaviour! (and vice versa in many cases)

If you start going to uni and going out you'll see how grim it can be in terms of male harassment of women.
TV and Media has shown me and yes its bad but that's what some males do as I already said. Same way women could realise that there is male domestic violence and sexually assaulted (moreso raped) males. Feminism is just bull****, if you want equality abandon feminism and find some other way to fight for equality; for both sexes.
TV and Media has shown me and yes its bad but that's what some males do as I already said. Same way women could realise that there is male domestic violence and sexually assaulted (moreso raped) males. Feminism is just bull****, if you want equality abandon feminism and find some other way to fight for equality; for both sexes.

I agree that a lot of feminism ignores men's problems and is often completely pointless, but I'm not sure what you're advocating here in this situation.

If the user in this thread has had bad experiences, surely she should draw attention to them? Saying, "that's just what happens" is really poor justification. Some people are murderers, it doesn't mean we shouldn't try to stop them, does it? We can't just say "oh, that's just what happens, some people attack others, let's not do anything about it".
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 95

But I do fight for equality for both sexes I was just discussing the topic in hand which was sexual harassment and my experiences of it, not male rape...which obviously I agree is bad, as is female rape.
Reply 96
But I do fight for equality for both sexes I was just discussing the topic in hand which was sexual harassment and my experiences of it, not male rape...which obviously I agree is bad, as is female rape.
Fair do's we'll leave it at that, you seem a little more moderate than most feminists
Reply 97
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I agree that a lot of feminism ignores men's problems and is often completely pointless, but I'm not sure what you're advocating here in this situation.

If the user in this thread has had bad experiences, surely she should draw attention to them? Saying, "that's just what happens" is really poor justification. Some people are murderers, it doesn't mean we shouldn't try to stop them, does it? We can't just say "oh, that's just what happens, some people attack others, let's not do anything about it".
You make a valid point, I apoligise for my naivety
Original post by Captain Haddock

Pretty much sums up the feminist mentality, spoken or otherwise: when it happens to women, it's bad; when it happens to men, who cares?

So, do you start many threads, in aid of men's problems? What do you do, other than "sometimes admit things happen to men, too"?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending