The Student Room Group

Lagrangian Dynamics - bead on wire

I have a bead on a wire that is at an angle to the vertical, I need to show that there is a starting distance along the wire where the bead will exhibit circular motion regardless of the radius.

Working in spherical polars I get the equation of motion as

mr''=mr(wsin(a))^2-mgcos(a)

which yields

r=A(e^wsin(a)t)-B(e^-wsin(a)t)+(gcos(a)/(wsin(a))^2)

I have been asked to show that for r0=gcos(a)/(wsin(a)) the particle exhibits circular motion. However, I get a hyperbolic function - which is correct for other starting conditions... and can't show that r'=0...

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Original post by natninja
I have a bead on a wire that is at an angle to the vertical, I need to show that there is a starting distance along the wire where the bead will exhibit circular motion regardless of the radius.

Working in spherical polars I get the equation of motion as

mr''=mr(wsin(a))^2-mgcos(a)

which yields

r=A(e^wsin(a)t)-B(e^-wsin(a)t)+(gcos(a)/(wsin(a))^2)

I have been asked to show that for r0=gcos(a)/(wsin(a)) the particle exhibits circular motion. However, I get a hyperbolic function - which is correct for other starting conditions... and can't show that r'=0...

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

could you post the full question please? it's not clear to me what you mean/what the variables are. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ben-smith
could you post the full question please? it's not clear to me what you mean/what the variables are. :smile:

question 7b, think question is wrong and should be sin squared rather than sin as it works then.

EDIT attachment failed...
Reply 3

here?
here?

you are pretty much there. note that they gave you initial conditions.
Reply 5
you are pretty much there. note that they gave you initial conditions.

solved it - question was wrong... now stuck on 3c...
solved it - question was wrong... now stuck on 3c...

The trick is to notice that the second system is not inertial so you have to modify N2 when treating it.
Reply 7
The trick is to notice that the second system is not inertial so you have to modify N2 when treating it.

yeah got that didn't notice that T1=2T2 which made it come out in a few lines... but thanks :smile:

Though there is no way I can work out the potential function in 8b - using Divergence theorem maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest