The Student Room Group

Dash camera removal - cut wires

Does anyone know if you can cut the wires to the dash camera if you can’t get an appointment in time to remove the dash cam properly ? (Front camera)? If so, do I cut the cable as close to the camera as possible, or as far away from the camera ? There is a small plug type thing which goes into the back of the camera, I have tried to get this out but it seems to be wedged in quite hard and I don’t want to pull too hard in case I break it unnecessarily
Why you looking to remove the dash cam?
you should be able to remove it yourself. The wires will just be tucked behind some paneling to the fuse box. Start from the camera and follow the wire, you might have to apply a little pressure to move the panels and pull the wire out just be gentle doing it. If you dont want to pull it out for fear of damage, cutting it would be much worse
Reply 3
Original post by JDSensations
you should be able to remove it yourself. The wires will just be tucked behind some paneling to the fuse box. Start from the camera and follow the wire, you might have to apply a little pressure to move the panels and pull the wire out just be gentle doing it. If you dont want to pull it out for fear of damage, cutting it would be much worse

Oh right okay. so just peel it from behind all of the panelling, down by the door and that should eventually lead me to the fuse box ? Will I need any tools to do this?

I’ve asked Halfords but you need to book an appointment and they don’t have any for a few days..& I get a new car later today

So cutting wires is a no go?
Original post by RRArsenal123
Oh right okay. so just peel it from behind all of the panelling, down by the door and that should eventually lead me to the fuse box ? Will I need any tools to do this?

I’ve asked Halfords but you need to book an appointment and they don’t have any for a few days..& I get a new car later today

So cutting wires is a no go?

You could cut the wires, but how do you plan to put it into the new car?

When I got one hard wired Halfords did it and the guy just used his hands to move the panel and slip the wire behind it

I would suggest lookin on youtube either search the car make or just check general hard wiring dash cams and you will get an idea. Mine ran all the way to the boot but other cars I have had since have a fuse box under the glove box or drivers side

Just be careful so you don't damage anything on the car
Reply 5
Original post by JDSensations
You could cut the wires, but how do you plan to put it into the new car?

When I got one hard wired Halfords did it and the guy just used his hands to move the panel and slip the wire behind it

I would suggest lookin on youtube either search the car make or just check general hard wiring dash cams and you will get an idea. Mine ran all the way to the boot but other cars I have had since have a fuse box under the glove box or drivers side

Just be careful so you don't damage anything on the car

Thanks!! I’m taking it back as it’s on finance so I guess I better not cut the wire…
Original post by RRArsenal123
Thanks!! I’m taking it back as it’s on finance so I guess I better not cut the wire…

Just take your time, hopefully most of it will slide out with a little bit of a pull you might just have to assist it a bit. hope all goes well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending