The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't see the point.
Reply 141
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Yes, if you want to complain about a moderator then post in Ask a Section Leader.

And that is exactly what we are saying is wrong. When a politician ****s up they shouldn't be judged by other politicians but by the media and the public in general. It's the same principle here. You keep everything hush hush, meaning you stay in complete control.

TSR is like China, openly criticize the mods and be shut down, or worse warned and banned.
Original post by MENDACIUM
Should people be allowed to complain about corrupt doctors?

Your free speech isn't being curtailed by this forum - you are quite free to set up your own forum and complain there. You are also quite free to break the rules here in a technical sense (although I'm sure the moderators will feel quite free to ban you).
Reply 143
Original post by danny111
And that is exactly what we are saying is wrong. When a politician ****s up they shouldn't be judged by other politicians but by the media and the public in general. It's the same principle here. You keep everything hush hush, meaning you stay in complete control.

TSR is like China, openly criticize the mods and be shut down, or worse warned and banned.

Funny isn't it?; in AAM, all the moderators can jump in and help the particular mod to "support the team" (as a particular mod once told me), and the user who's filing the complain is all alone trying to defend themselves, with no support from anyone. If the user is not happy, go ask another upper mod lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 144
Original post by Onde
Your free speech isn't being curtailed by this forum - you are quite free to set up your own forum and complain there. You are also quite free to break the rules here in a technical sense (although I'm sure the moderators will feel quite free to ban you).

I never implied my free speech is curtailed. I only assert that moderators are not infallible - they have their own political views and ideologies, and quite often that factors into how they moderate.

It's not really the same principle though. TSR isn't a government, it's a business. An elected politician might be accountable (in theory) to the public at large but someone working for a private company is accountable to their immediate superiors.
Reply 146
It's not really the same principle though. TSR isn't a government, it's a business. An elected politician might be accountable (in theory) to the public at large but someone working for a private company is accountable to their immediate superiors.

Wrong.

Politicians are accountable to the people; the tax money people pay goes straight to their pockets. So there's no "might be" here.

Private companies/business (like TSR) are accountable to the paid customers ; in this case, the TSR users.
Reply 147

If you think of TSR as a business, we are your customers, and this is no way to treat your customers. Customers are what a business has to answer to because we pay you.
Original post by kka25
Funny isn't it?; all the moderators can jump in and help the particular mod to "support the team" as a particular mod once told me, and the user who's filing the complain is all alone trying to defend themselves, with no support from anyone. If the user is not happy, go ask another upper mod lol.

Surely it is the case that counts, not the number of people are arguing it?

Original post by MENDACIUM
I never implied my free speech is curtailed. I only assert that moderators are not infallible - they have their own political views and ideologies, and quite often that factors into how they moderate.

:tongue: just so long as you didn't imply that the mods here are corrupt. Comparing doctors to moderators doesn't work because you pay for doctors and you have a much stronger case for having a corrupt doctor reported to an independent body of experts: this forum cannot be treated in such a way even if the forum owner didn't have the ultimate right to run things their own way. You are like a guest in a person's house who wants to be the arbitrator when the house is not decorated the way he likes.
Reply 149
If you think of TSR as a business, we are your customers, and this is no way to treat your customers. Customers are what a business has to answer to because we pay you.

True.

There's no disputing this.
Reply 150
Original post by kka25
True.

There's no disputing this.

Are you paying to use TSR?
If you don't like what a company does, you should probably write a letter to your MP or stop using that company. If they've done something illegal, maybe you could get the courts involved, otherwise, there isn't really a lot else you can do.
Original post by kka25
Wrong.

Politicians are accountable to the people; the tax money people pay goes straight to their pockets. So there's no "might be" here.

Private companies/business (like TSR) are accountable to the paid customers ; in this case, the TSR users.

A customer is someone who purchases something. Without wishing to devalue the users, TSRs customers are the companies and universities etc who pay to advertise on the site. Users don't pay to use TSR.

A company as a whole is accountable to its customers. An individual working for the company is accountable to those more senior than them within the company.
:tongue: I demand as a customer that coca cola make their drinks green! They're not respecting my rights!
Reply 154
A customer is someone who purchases something. Without wishing to devalue the users, TSRs customers are the companies and universities etc who pay to advertise on the site. Users don't pay to use TSR.

A company as a whole is accountable to its customers. An individual working for the company is accountable to those more senior than them within the company.

Potally_Tissed you're really getting on my nerves. I'd let you go on the issue of sampling because I don't want to explain from A-Z what is (non)random sampling.

But here again, you're basically trying to give lame excuses here.

Here's definition of "consumer"/"customer"

a person who uses goods or services

someone who pays for goods or services

TSR provides a service. Since you're a part of TSR, you should know what the services are.

I'm not interested to debate with "terms" here. Seriously; this post of yours is lame. This is a good example how a mod cannot explain himself well.

You can forward my post to the Admin; they will agree with me that your use of terms is wrong.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Onde
If you don't like what a company does, you should probably write a letter to your MP or stop using that company. If they've done something illegal, maybe you could get the courts involved, otherwise, there isn't really a lot else you can do.

what good will the MP do?
Original post by kka25
Potally_Tissed you're really getting on my nerve. I'd let you go on the issue of sampling because I don't want to explain from A-Z what is (non)random sampling.

But here again, you're basically trying to give lame excuses here.

Here's definition of "consumer"

TSR provides a service. Since you're a part of TSR, you should know what the services are.

I'm not interest to debate with "terms" here. Seriously; this post of yours is lame. This is a good example how a mod cannot explain himself well.

You can forward my post to the Admin; they will agree with me that your use of terms is wrong.

You've just changed from referring to "customers", to now referring to "consumers". I'm not disputing your definition of consumer or that you are indeed a "consumer" of TSR, but that's not the same as being a customer, which is what you and Danny referred to in your previous posts and what I was replying to.
Reply 157

And they advertise because of users.

The second point may have merit, but I disagree. That is why business schools started teaching ethics more.
Original post by OU Student
what good will the MP do?

oh, probably absolutely none.
Reply 159
You've just changed from referring to "customers", to now referring to "consumers". I'm not disputing your definition of consumer or that you are indeed a "consumer" of TSR, but that's not the same as being a customer, which is what you and Danny referred to in your previous posts and what I was replying to.

I edited that because I missed that part, and the terms are close together.

Funny that that's the only thing you want to "highlight".
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending