The Student Room Group

Have a properly functioning ignore list and add the ability to mute forums

Problem Summary
Have a properly functioning ignore list and add the ability to mute forums

Also have a more direct way to add people to your ignore list (being able to do it straight via their profile or hovering over their username).

Problem Details
Although I don’t currently have anyone on my ignore list and find that engaging in such action is “pointless” (to avoid using stronger and more realistic language), I find that the current ignore functionality on TSR is lacking and is behind compared to other forums. Now that TSR has switched to React, this could be the perfect opportunity to update the system.

For starters you cannot block volunteers. If you do try to block them then you are presented with an error message: Sorry User X is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.
Add a Member to Your List...

FHs are not moderators by any stretch of imagination in my opinion in that they can’t card, post (mod) warnings, aren’t supposed to close threads, clean threads, edit other people’s posts etc in most cases like VT+ are allowed to do. So what’s the rationale behind not allowing users to add FHs to their ignore list? I can see the rationale for VTs and especially VSL, CS and GS but I cannot see the rationale when it comes to Forum Helpers.

Some users might also find it annoying or upsetting or uninteresting to see posts from certain users and/or forums (even if it’s not rule breaking) so if people could hide (mute) certain forums or threads from certain users from appearing on their feed/for you/latest like you on other platforms then that could be good as well. So e.g if I want to mute the relationships forum then have it so that any posts from that forum doesn’t appear in my feed, for you page (at the very least) or latest, I would actively have to search the forum up to see posts from that area and to unmute it. This is essentially how it works on other platforms.
Same thing if i some else wanted to mute me, they wouldn’t have any threads made by me appear on their FYP (minimum) or latest as a result of them doing that. Obviously have it so that VSL, CS and GS along with content made by them cannot be muted or blocked in any shape of fashion (extend that to VT as well if needed).

Device
Mobile

Browser
Brave

Link
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6303186

Additional Information
If there’s no chance that this will happen despite the fact that this issue was first raised 4 years ago then just tell me this so that I stop banging on about the issue or giving feedback on it. I don’t want there to be any beating around the bush.

Also must note that on most modern platforms (seeing as TSR wants to modernise its product) you are:

1. able to mute certain forums and posts, you can also mute posts that are made by specific users from being able to appear on your feed.
2. You can pretty much block whoever the hell you want, if I wanted to block the CEO of Reddit then I can do that, I’m not presented with a message that states that I can’t block him.
3. When you block someone, they usually cannot respond to your posts and tag you in some (more like many) cases they can’t even see your posts.

Now I’m not saying that TSR should go as far as allowing users to block whoever they want but if at the very least anyone who isn’t VSL, CS or GS (or at least definitely FHs and PS reviewers) could be blocked then that could be a good start.

Same with with blocked users not being able to see your posts, no need to go this far but have it so that blocked users cannot reply to you (in the form of quoting your posts and PM/VM) or tag you.
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi. I've spoken to someone in the product team about this one too and we aren't able to commit to adding new features in the ignore list at the moment, so we won't be able to do this. If we do plan to improve the ignore list they will review your suggestions though. Sorry we aren't able to make these changes right now.
Original post by PurpleAndGreen
Hi. I've spoken to someone in the product team about this one too and we aren't able to commit to adding new features in the ignore list at the moment, so we won't be able to do this. If we do plan to improve the ignore list they will review your suggestions though. Sorry we aren't able to make these changes right now.

Thank you for the honest response, will there be a chance to update the ignore list so that at the very least you can block volunteers (I’m talking about FHs and PS reviewers especially, not VSL)?

And this there any reason beyond it being baked into the software that FHs cannot be ignored? Given my explanation above.
Hi. We've had a look and there are settings that control whether volunteers/moderators can be added to the ignore list but these need to be reviewed before they are changed. We don't want community and group staff to be ignored so we are investigating how to do this. I can't promise anything will be changed but we are seeing what is possible.
Original post by PurpleAndGreen
Hi. We've had a look and there are settings that control whether volunteers/moderators can be added to the ignore list but these need to be reviewed before they are changed. We don't want community and group staff to be ignored so we are investigating how to do this. I can't promise anything will be changed but we are seeing what is possible.

I was wondering why FHs couldn’t be ignored (as in what purpose does it serve (based on the reasoning I’ve given above) beyond it already being baked info the software).

For GS, CS and VSL it makes perfect sense to me why you shouldn’t be able to block them (maybe add VT to the list as well). It’s FH and PS reviewer where I don’t understand the need.

Also thanks. I wasn’t expecting GS, CS or heck even VSL to be changed when it came to this feedback (I believe that you shouldn’t not be able to block these users in any shape or fashion), I was more referring to FHs due the reasoning that I’ve given. VT I don’t know, possibly a grey area for me and maybe a grey area in general.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
As someone with an extensive block list who is also a FH, I have said several times that I think users should be able to block FH's if they wish.

I'd also absolutely love it if specific forums could be removed from my personal latest widget. but I am not especially confident that the functionality that I want is going to be passed over the React in any case.
Original post by Admit-One
As someone with an extensive block list who is also a FH, I have said several times that I think users should be able to block FH's if they wish.

I'd also absolutely love it if specific forums could be removed from my personal latest widget. but I am not especially confident that the functionality that I want is going to be passed over the React in any case.

As a VT (for now), people should be able to block me to even if I won’t like it, but I can understand from a moderation perspective and especially if you’re a FH why that wouldn’t be practical. VT is an eh for me for this reason.

VSL, GS and CS, no practical reason or justification whatsoever as to why you should be able to block them in my opinion (given what they do).

FHs and PS reviewers is where I say yeah, the system needs to be updated, let users block them.

Yeah the functionality I’ve suggested is pretty much what most other online communication platforms and social media have (notably Reddit).
(edited 4 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending