The Student Room Group

What’s the chances of moderation bumping my final grade?

I’m a Psychology student at Westminister and had to resit my weakest module which was a core one and received 34 marks on the resit and 44 marks in the exam which i didn’t need to retake which averages to about 39% overall. I’ve received the results for the 34 mark resits a while ago but have been told moderation is occurring until next friday….What are the chances of being granted leniency in that 1% so i can reach a pass?

Especially if I don’t have the option to redo a year for the said modules.
Reply 1
Slim.
Reply 2
Moderation can't alter the mark of an individual student, only of the whole cohort.
Have you calculated you module grade exactly? If it's 39.5 or above, it will probably be adjusted up.
Reply 3
Original post by cheadle
Moderation can't alter the mark of an individual student, only of the whole cohort.
Have you calculated you module grade exactly? If it's 39.5 or above, it will probably be adjusted up.

So during the embargo of the results there’s no chance of it happening at all not even by the Award board? I keep being told that I can’t discuss my results with any admins/module leaders because they come out on the 4th but I received what seemed to be an early marking of mine and I received 39% on the dot unfortunately :frown:
Reply 4
I can only comment on my own experience, and that's my understanding of moderation.
"Compensation" may be possible (where you are awarded the credits even though you did not achieve a Pass grade of 40+) but there are strict conditions for this - you need to check you uni regs - particularly as this is a core module.
It's really difficult to gve you a definitive answer here as each uni has its own rules & regs.
Can you speak to someone at the SU?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m a Psychology student at Westminister and had to resit my weakest module which was a core one and received 34 marks on the resit and 44 marks in the exam which i didn’t need to retake which averages to about 39% overall. I’ve received the results for the 34 mark resits a while ago but have been told moderation is occurring until next friday….What are the chances of being granted leniency in that 1% so i can reach a pass?

Especially if I don’t have the option to redo a year for the said modules.

The regulations are unlikely to allow for: ahh your close we’ll give you a free mark as leniency, the university still has to ensure its academic integrity.

If it is a non-core module or first year there is a chance you receive a “condoned fail” , although this depends on the university & course regulations.

If your submission is selected for moderation marking then you obviously only need 1 more mark and there is a slight chance but they normally only sample 5-10% of a cohort depending on course size.
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
The regulations are unlikely to allow for: ahh your close we’ll give you a free mark as leniency, the university still has to ensure its academic integrity.

If it is a non-core module or first year there is a chance you receive a “condoned fail” , although this depends on the university & course regulations.

If your submission is selected for moderation marking then you obviously only need 1 more mark and there is a slight chance but they normally only sample 5-10% of a cohort depending on course size.

It's more likely to be selected because it is a fail boundary case, and in my experience pretty much all fail boundary cases are looked at twice.

But the odds of it shifting are still pretty slim.
I had an assignment bumped up by about 30% in my final year with 39% it’s totally possible they will round up give you a couple of marks for spelling your name correctly (yes I know one lecturer who would do that) so it’s possible but not certain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending