The Student Room Group

Medicine Community Feedback and Suggestions

Aloha folks,

I am setting this thread up for several purposes:
1) To centralise community requests or suggestions for the volunteer team
2) As a space to ask the Medicine community for feedback on ideas
3) To communicate around content, stickies and key dates for the medicine community
4) To raise issues specific to the medicine forums

Anyone who posts in the medicine forum is welcome to join in and contribute.

All we ask is that posts stay within site rules, this includes being polite and respectful to everybody - including those who work at TSR.

Nobody in this discourse wants to do harm to the medicine forum or the users posting within it, please remember that when contributing. :smile:

Quoting in top posters in the medicine forum for the last 12 months, and all FHs for the med forums.

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Previous successes:
:yy: Creation of a bot @TSR Hippocrates, as outlined here.
:yy: Creating a thread label for the Medicine forum called "Directed to Megathread"
:yy: Sticking threads at request of community users
:yy: Creating megathreads at request of community users
(edited 1 year ago)
Placeholder 2
Two things I want to talk about so far:

1. Am I safe to unstick GAMSAT and BMAT threads. They haven't been posted in since December?

2. Offer holder threads. I have always wondered, across Universities, whether offer holder threads did much to help or hinder the forums. Applicants' threads already exist, if a user didn't receive an offer they tend to stop replying in the thread regardless so the applicants' thread becomes the de facto offer holder thread anyway. Someone's tagged me this week in an offer holder thread for medicine, asking me whether someone is going to be setting up offer holder threads.

Now we can either:
(a) Do a big push for offer holder threads to be created - I haven't heard a justification to do this as of yet
(b) Endorse an offer holder thread if a user makes one, but not push for loads of them
(c) At a suitable date, change applicant thread titles to be offer holders
(d) Abolish offer holder threads
(e) Something else

I'm wanting to hear what everyone thinks first, before we all start hearing and thinking different things. One thing I can say is I won't have the capacity to be creating any of these myself.

Tagging people who repped the OP, I assume everyone else either is not fussed or hasn't read the original notification yet.
@KA_P @Jessi2004 @a._5 @bea_murray0
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17

1. Am I safe to unstick GAMSAT and BMAT threads. They haven't been posted in since December?

2. Offer holder threads. I have always wondered, across Universities, whether offer holder threads did much to help or hinder the forums. Applicants' threads already exist, if a user didn't receive an offer they tend to stop replying in the thread regardless so the applicants' thread becomes the de facto offer holder thread anyway. Someone's tagged me this week in an offer holder thread for medicine, asking me whether someone is going to be setting up offer holder threads.

Now we can either:
(a) Do a big push for offer holder threads to be created - I haven't heard a justification to do this as of yet
(b) Endorse an offer holder thread if a user makes one, but not push for loads of them
(e) Something else

I'm wanting to hear what everyone thinks first, before we all start hearing and thinking different things. One thing I can say is I won't have the capacity to be creating any of these myself.

Tagging people who repped the OP, I assume everyone else either is not fussed or hasn't read the original notification yet.

1) I don't know anything about the GAMSAT, but the BMAT is over and results came out a while ago so I don't think anyone's going to be posting on that thread. So yes, unsticking the thread seems useful.

2) I think offer threads are a nice idea, but I totally agree that having a set system would make everything more organised. I like the idea of (c) and having the date perhaps after the deadline in May, but we'll see what everyone else thinks.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by 04MR17

Now we can either:
(e) Something else

1) I think if it isn't active then it should be unstickied

2) for me personally, I found them useful - it might just be worth a note in the OP that when someone does get an offer, they can make their own offer-holder's thread and link it in the applicant's thread and any duplicate thread can be then merged into that.

I think keeping the applicant's thread separate from the offer holder's thread would best as some offers are given out later and I've seen people use the applicant thread to discuss this. However, this might be more relevant for the years that had waiting lists.

So, to summarise I think (b) would be the best option but with a note in OP to notify applicants that if they do make one, to let everyone else in the original thread know to prevent an accumulation of duplicate offer holder threads.

I think it was common for applicants to tag one of the main helpers in that thread if they can make an offer holder thread for them when the time came 🤔
Reply 6
Original post by 04MR17

Now we can either:
(e) Something else

I would say make the offer holder threads. Offers for medicine are often given out over a very drawn out period, so there is no easy "right time" to convert the applicants threads. People with offers want to be excited and happy - this can be very demoralising for people still waiting to hear. There is a lot of post offer admin for medicine places re DBS, OH, etc and it gives a thread for people with a relevant interest to ask questions.
I would be OK with people creating them as they want, but this risks multiple threads being made, and people are used to each med school having its own thread. What is key is the one becomes "official:" and is linked to in the applicants thread first post, so people know where to find them
Reply 7
Plus, the offer threads can be helpfully indexed and linked to the current entry thread. And linked by future entry threads too. And be in the meds schools area. It also helps future years to be able to find and read them easily.

This is the time of year when a there is a division of perspectives between those having heard and those waiting its helpful to have separate threads.

With reserves lists in play, entry threads are likely to be running for some time - til august i suspect.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I will be chatting with @_Rusty_ and the Community Staff about this and come back with an answer ASAP. If I haven't done this by Thursday please poke me (I'm on strike that day so should be around).
Original post by 04MR17
If I haven't done this by Thursday please poke me (I'm on strike that day so should be around).

Or, No Marking Thursday, as it has become known chez nous.
Original post by 04MR17
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I will be chatting with @_Rusty_ and the Community Staff about this and come back with an answer ASAP. If I haven't done this by Thursday please poke me (I'm on strike that day so should be around).

PRSOM
Original post by 04MR17

Without Offer Holder threads, I suspect you will lose these people to other platforms - people are already asking for links to WhatsApp, etc, it seems in higher numbers than usual
Original post by GANFYD
Without Offer Holder threads, I suspect you will lose these people to other platforms - people are already asking for links to WhatsApp, etc, it seems in higher numbers than usual

This is the problem with the offer holder threads, this year may be anomalous but it seems that in the offer-holders threads, users are more willing to break the Community Guidelines.
Original post by _Rusty_
This is the problem with the offer holder threads, this year may be anomalous but it seems that in the offer-holders threads, users are more willing to break the Community Guidelines.

They are doing it on the ordinary threads, which opens that information up to all, though........ I continue reporting and reminding!
Original post by GANFYD
They are doing it on the ordinary threads, which opens that information up to all, though........ I continue reporting and reminding!

I appreciate that so much!!!

I haven't noticed it as much on the applicant threads however you are on TSR far more than me:smile:
Original post by _Rusty_
I appreciate that so much!!!

I haven't noticed it as much on the applicant threads however you are on TSR far more than me:smile:

I do my "stern warning" and they back off for a while :lol:
Original post by GANFYD
I do my "stern warning" and they back off for a while :lol:

:rofl:
Original post by _Rusty_

The Warwick 2023 GEM thread is particularly bad this year - I kept reporting but the same users post gc details again and again
Original post by IBkidinthecorner
The Warwick 2023 GEM thread is particularly bad this year - I kept reporting but the same users post gc details again and again

Rule breaking in offer holder threads has been mostly what I’ve been removing
Original post by _Rusty_
Rule breaking in offer holder threads has been mostly what I’ve been removing

Ty!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending