The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Right - for those that know the old series, is the great intelligence Omega?

No.
Original post by Abbieastoria
:O

River is my second favourite character ever after donnas grandad

I guess it's cos she knows more about some stuff than him and it makes him seem not so clever which humanises him a bit more. Plus their flanter is hilarious

Posted from TSR Mobile

Each to their own I guess, I dislike their flanter and how she thinks she knows so much. But I agree with Donna's granddad, he's epic!
Reply 102
All the love for Tennant, really? Is it just me who doesn't think Tennant was all that good? I much preferred Ecclestone.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App
one thing i dislike bout Moffat is this whole "doctor who has to move on thing"

I'd loveee to see mainly old characters this series, perhaps Sarah Janes son with K9 and definitely doctors daughter would be a great twist. Also I'm wondering when the fields of trensilore and the fall of the eleventh will come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104

I read around a bit, and it seems that the GI is from the old series, as the controller of the Yetis.

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
I actually really liked this episode, more than most of series 7a. It was the attention to detail I liked; the Doctor looking after Clara, the book written by Amy, the funny music when they were riding the bike, Clara and the Doctor awkwardly flirting- clever little things that made it a good episode.

It wasn't perfect, another episode that was resolved a little too quickly and easily (though not nearly as bad as the Power of 3). It lacked that extra threat, all he had to do was get them to download everyone back to their bodies. They could control pretty much every person on the planet, and yet they were surprisingly easy to defeat.

But still, I enjoyed it and I'm definately looking forward to the rest of the series. Loving Clara too, she's witty and smart, though the flirting did get a bit annoying in my opinion (no seriously, it's not a snog box :colonhash:).

Original post by greeneyedgirl
ALSO... you know her book where she crossed off ages, she missed 23, she failed to type 23 on the password, 50th Anniversary is on 23rd November...

No idea what that all means, but I'm excited!

Interesting... I noticed the age thing but not the rest.

What was the leaf thing about? Are we meant to know yet?

Spoiler

Original post by SportsFan

Spoiler

Should be spoilered. I already knew but some people may not want to know :tongue:
Original post by Evangelica
Should be spoilered. I already knew but some people may not want to know :tongue:

I sorted it out for him :yep:
Original post by montstar
I actually really liked this episode, more than most of series 7a. It was the attention to detail I liked; the Doctor looking after Clara, the book written by Amy, the funny music when they were riding the bike, Clara and the Doctor awkwardly flirting- clever little things that made it a good episode.

It wasn't perfect, another episode that was resolved a little too quickly and easily (though not nearly as bad as the Power of 3). It lacked that extra threat, all he had to do was get them to download everyone back to their bodies. They could control pretty much every person on the planet, and yet they were surprisingly easy to defeat.

But still, I enjoyed it and I'm definately looking forward to the rest of the series. Loving Clara too, she's witty and smart, though the flirting did get a bit annoying in my opinion (no seriously, it's not a snog box :colonhash:).

Interesting... I noticed the age thing but not the rest.

What was the leaf thing about? Are we meant to know yet?

Spoiler

this episode was pretty good,

Spoiler

Original post by montstar

Spoiler

I would say so, but it still doesn't resolve the fact that Clara hasn't recognised the doctor in any of her 3 personas. I love that doctor who episodes create more questions than they answer. Also loved the episode title, very clever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I think I'm just in love with Clara-Oswin.

Ditto. :pierre:
I'll be honest - I enjoyed it :yep:
I think it had a good mix of everything. New threats, Doctor-companion bickering/sexual tension, throwbacks to older characters, Little plot details that mean nothing now, but will be crucial (presumably) in the coming weeks. Oh and the sort of wacky, lighter moments like the bike + the music when he changes into his usual clothes :yep:

Considering he had to find Clara, introduce/catch-up, Save the day and have new enemies and storylines introduced - I think they did quite well. Sure things could have been expanded on with a longer episode, but the BBC are powerful and ruthless tyrants :erm: if they deem 45mins is sufficient - you best bet it's sufficient :sly:

But yeh - not the best episode of course, but certainly not the worst :cute:

No.

Please go and watch the Three Doctors.

I would also recommend you watch the original Great Intelligence stories but I have a feeling that they are either all lost or only a couple of episodes remain. In which case I would recommend the audio CDs for both stories.

I'm still disappointed that the Great Intelligence has not built any new Yeti for the new series.
Reply 114
Original post by Artymess
I'll be honest - I enjoyed it :yep:
I think it had a good mix of everything. New threats, Doctor-companion bickering/sexual tension, throwbacks to older characters, Little plot details that mean nothing now, but will be crucial (presumably) in the coming weeks. Oh and the sort of wacky, lighter moments like the bike + the music when he changes into his usual clothes :yep:

Considering he had to find Clara, introduce/catch-up, Save the day and have new enemies and storylines introduced - I think they did quite well. Sure things could have been expanded on with a longer episode, but the BBC are powerful and ruthless tyrants :erm: if they deem 45mins is sufficient - you best bet it's sufficient :sly:

But yeh - not the best episode of course, but certainly not the worst :cute:

It has to be made that long so that it becomes an hour long with breaks when they sell the rights to Dave or BBC America or whoever.
Original post by Rakas21
It has to be made that long so that it becomes an hour long with breaks when they sell the rights to Dave or BBC America or whoever.

By extension couldn't they then do fewer episodes at 90mins length like the Sherlock episodes?

Depends what you prefer, fewer, better quality episodes. Or plenty of content, some of which isn't always impressive :erm:
Reply 116
Hi everyone,

So I'm really curious, I've been watching the 2005 series from the start again and have reached the Doctor and Martha's stage. Is it just me or does anyone else not like her? I think it's more Freema Agyeman than the actual character of Martha Jones but she ruined it for me, I hated her.

Thoughts?
Original post by Mamataj
Hi everyone,

So I'm really curious, I've been watching the 2005 series from the start again and have reached the Doctor and Martha's stage. Is it just me or does anyone else not like her? I think it's more Freema Agyeman than the actual character of Martha Jones but she ruined it for me, I hated her.

Thoughts?

Martha was Rose MK2.

Another character who fall in love with the doctor and by this point I was wishing for both Martha and Rose to go the same way as Adric. The new doctor who series is a rather mixed bag to be honest. There are some wonderful episodes and some unwatchable episodes (love and monsters for example). I personally enjoy Moffat's writing for Doctor Who and I was getting pissed off with Russel T Davis who seemed to believe foreshadowing words like 'torch wood' or 'bad wolf' was a story arch.

To be perfectly honest this seems to be an issue with all female characters in the new series where they all seem to be one step away from humping the doctor's leg. (Amy was also bad at the start)

On the bright side Amy got better... Then Rory became a companion and the dynamic changed.

My main concern is Clara will be written the same way, but I am currently enjoying the episodes she is in. It is still too early to tell.
Original post by Artymess
By extension couldn't they then do fewer episodes at 90mins length like the Sherlock episodes?

Depends what you prefer, fewer, better quality episodes. Or plenty of content, some of which isn't always impressive :erm:

That has been an issue with the New Who. The classic who had normally 4 episodes (Sometimes 6, 8 or more) to tell a story. This meant that the stories were potentially excellent with good build up, interesting well developed supporting characters, and a good pay off. This meant there was only around 4-6 stories a series. However, when they completely screwed up a story (ie padded it out to fit the 4 ep run time or just had a awful plot) then it was a lot of crap to sit through.

I personally would prefer longer stories as the opportunity for development of the situation and characters in more detail for telling a better story is appealing.
Reply 119
Original post by Politics Student
No.

Please go and watch the Three Doctors.

I would also recommend you watch the original Great Intelligence stories but I have a feeling that they are either all lost or only a couple of episodes remain. In which case I would recommend the audio CDs for both stories.

I'm still disappointed that the Great Intelligence has not built any new Yeti for the new series.

He sort of did. Yetis are the Abominable SNOWMEN after all.

Quick Reply

Latest