The Student Room Group

Astrophysics EPQ Topics?

Hi guys, hoping this is the right place to post this.

So basically, I'm looking to apply for Physics w/ Astrophysics at university (at some places, straight astro) and in sight of this, I want to construct my Extended Project around the field.
On my application to do the epq (thats how my school runs it) I wrote that I want to investigate the climate on Venus, and the ways in which that should influence environmental action on Earth.
For anyone interested:

Spoiler

My concern is that there isn't enough to write about on this. In addition, I am worried that it'll become too much of an Environmental dissertation, and that universities won't take me as a Physics applicant, but more of a Renewable Engineering student or something along those lines.

So please let me know if you feel this is an apt topic for an Astrophysics applicant to write about!
If not, what would you consider a good topic to research?
I'm currently finishing my epq, I'd say the main thing right now is getting something with a lot of research articles, books, resources you can use, before you get too committed. I originally wanted to explore something but had to change it when I realised there wasn't enough subjective data. Good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by chapmouse

So basically, I'm looking to apply for Physics w/ Astrophysics at university (at some places, straight astro) and in sight of this, I want to construct my Extended Project around the field.
On my application to do the epq (thats how my school runs it) I wrote that I want to investigate the climate on Venus, and the ways in which that should influence environmental action on Earth.
For anyone interested:

Spoiler

My concern is that there isn't enough to write about on this. In addition, I am worried that it'll become too much of an Environmental dissertation, and that universities won't take me as a Physics applicant, but more of a Renewable Engineering student or something along those lines.

So please let me know if you feel this is an apt topic for an Astrophysics applicant to write about!

Don't worry about it. Universities won't make you an offer (or lack of) based on your epq. Your epq does seem more planetary based, but there's nothing wrong with that if that's what you like. In any case, if you wer ein an interview for example that'd give you plenty to talk about, even if it wasn't purely astrophysics.

As for the epq itself, sometimes narrowing it down is good as often you can make it too wide a topic and write very little about a lot and not get into any good depth. Try doing research now and see if you get a feel about how much you could write about it.
Reply 3

For anyone interested:

Spoiler

How about picking one of these?

The Philosophy of Astrophysics

Astrophysical Laws

Black-Body Radiation, Thermal Equilibrium

Radiative Transport

Radiative Transport, Opacity, Absorption, Emission

Gravity: Conservations Laws, Orbits

Gravity, Virial Theorem, Tides, Hydrostatic Equilibrium

Stars: Basic Properties, Structure

Stellar Physics

Stellar Evolution, the HR Diagram

Chemical Dependence and Evolution, First Light

Star Formation and Star Death

White Dwarfs, Neutron Stars and Black Holes

Interstellar Medium

Components of the ISM

Heating and Cooling

Gas Dynamics, Shocks and Magnetic Fields

Basic Principles of Cosmology

Models: Hot Big Bang

Cosmological Parameters Expansion rate (H0)

Dark Matter, Accelerating universe Inflation and Concordance Cosmology cont.

Large-Scale Structure, Backgrounds, Inflation

Structure: Ellipticals, spirals

The Milky Way: Rotation curves, density waves

Populations and Evolution

Active Galactic Nuclei (AGN)

Remember the whole idea of the EPQ is to look into something you don't know anything about :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by liquid394
How about picking one of these?

The Philosophy of Astrophysics

Astrophysical Laws

Black-Body Radiation, Thermal Equilibrium

Radiative Transport

Radiative Transport, Opacity, Absorption, Emission

Gravity: Conservations Laws, Orbits

Gravity, Virial Theorem, Tides, Hydrostatic Equilibrium

Stars: Basic Properties, Structure

Stellar Physics

Stellar Evolution, the HR Diagram

Chemical Dependence and Evolution, First Light

Star Formation and Star Death

White Dwarfs, Neutron Stars and Black Holes

Interstellar Medium

Components of the ISM

Heating and Cooling

Gas Dynamics, Shocks and Magnetic Fields

Basic Principles of Cosmology

Models: Hot Big Bang

Cosmological Parameters Expansion rate (H0)

Dark Matter, Accelerating universe Inflation and Concordance Cosmology cont.

Large-Scale Structure, Backgrounds, Inflation

Structure: Ellipticals, spirals

The Milky Way: Rotation curves, density waves

Populations and Evolution

Active Galactic Nuclei (AGN)

Remember the whole idea of the EPQ is to look into something you don't know anything about :biggrin:

Thanks for this list, I shall do some ample googling on each of them before I decide what to do!
Can I ask where you took it from? Or was it a self written list?
While that subject does concentrate on an extraterrestrial planet, and thus the study of it falls within the category of planetary astrophysics, the specific topics that you're looking to relate, seem more relevant to general atmospheric physics, rather than astrophysics itself.

I'd try and look at something more cosmological (although perhaps I'm biased because that's the general direction I took with my degree!)
You may find it useful as a way of stimulating your thoughts or interests further to take a look at this website's Astrophysics page. It contains a hundred or so questions and answers relating to astrophysics. The questions are to the point and the answers are brief. Something here might grab your interest and you feel like you want to take that idea further.

http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/aphymis.html
Reply 7
Thanks for this list, I shall do some ample googling on each of them before I decide what to do!
Can I ask where you took it from? Or was it a self written list?

It's a list of what was covered on a course done in America, I was meant to show my brother as he was interested in astrophysics but I forgot at the time :L If you would like the link please ask :biggrin:
Reply 8

For anyone interested:

Spoiler

This you may like just thinking about astrophysics reminded me that nasa have a dedicated area on their science webpage on astrophysics :biggrin:
http://science.nasa.gov/
Reply 9

For anyone interested:

Spoiler

I was originally going to do an Astrophysics based EPQ, but my head of sixth (also my Physics teacher) suggested that my topics were a bit wooly and that I may be better off researching something else. Your topic sounds far better than mine did when I started, though, so I'd suggest you just run with it and see where it goes. There's plenty of material on Venus' atmosphere, the greenhouse effect, global warming and general atmospheric science that you can sink your teeth into, and you can still relate it to astrophysics by looking at factors such as Venus' proximity to the sun and so forth.

The main idea of the EPQ is to do something you have no previous exposure too, so that you can display independent learning skills and the ability to use sources effectively. I decided to do a more theoretical project comparing elementary Quantum Mechanics to Maxwell's Equations in the end. I had to get stuck into LOADS of Maths and Physics textbooks, watched a ton of lectures on youtube and read magazines/articles that related to the topic, but that's what the whole idea of the project is. Source evaluation and independent research.

As long as you have a wide variety of sources which you can evaluate when asked and the topic is reasonably complex, you should get a high grade for your project. I hope it goes well!

Quick Reply

Latest