The Student Room Group

Has anyone got into Birmingham to study Astrophysics with AAA?

I recently looked round Birmingham university, including the Physics department. I really liked the campus, and the Uni in general, however the current entry requirements to get onto the BSc is A*AA, which is higher than I am currently predicted. My question is, has anyone got onto this course or a similar course with AAA predicted as this is likely what I'll achieve. Thanks.
Hi! If their entry requirements are A*AA, I'm afraid that is what they will require. Some universities automatically reject your application if you don't meet the minimum requirements set by that course. However, some unis (not sure if Birmingham does this), does give contextual offers where you can get a lower grade. This can be given if you have done something for your subject besides your syllabus like IPQ, EPQ etc.
If you aren't able to get a contextual, maybe negotiate with your teacher to get predicted a higher grade so you can apply to Birmingham! Good luck :biggrin:!
Reply 2
Original post by hhhhu09-ioju90
Hi! If their entry requirements are A*AA, I'm afraid that is what they will require. Some universities automatically reject your application if you don't meet the minimum requirements set by that course. However, some unis (not sure if Birmingham does this), does give contextual offers where you can get a lower grade. This can be given if you have done something for your subject besides your syllabus like IPQ, EPQ etc.
If you aren't able to get a contextual, maybe negotiate with your teacher to get predicted a higher grade so you can apply to Birmingham! Good luck :biggrin:!

Hi, thanks for the quick reply, I entered my predicted grades on Birmingham's "are you likely to get an offer" calculator and the result was "likely" when I entered AAA. I have also done an EPQ based around astrophysics, however I don't think they consider this during the application process. This makes me think they may give me an offer. What do you think?
Original post by MHBminer
Hi, thanks for the quick reply, I entered my predicted grades on Birmingham's "are you likely to get an offer" calculator and the result was "likely" when I entered AAA. I have also done an EPQ based around astrophysics, however I don't think they consider this during the application process. This makes me think they may give me an offer. What do you think?

It's difficult to say as the calculator does state that it is an offer indication, not guarantee. However, it seems they have a leeway with predicted grades. Personally, if I were you, I would still apply as a high reach school.
Reply 4
Original post by hhhhu09-ioju90
It's difficult to say as the calculator does state that it is an offer indication, not guarantee. However, it seems they have a leeway with predicted grades. Personally, if I were you, I would still apply as a high reach school.

Yeah, thanks for the advice. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending