The Student Room Group

Southampton Astrophysics Flagship Course

I’m really interested in the University of Southampton’s Astrophysics flagship course but I’m not sure if it’s worth going for. It’d be really risky, I feel, because I don’t want to study astronomy (I would have to do this before being given the opportunity to study astrophysics), and only a selection of students are chosen to switch to astrophysics in the second year. Does anyone know how likely you are to get chosen to change to the astrophysics course? And how many people get chosen to go to Boston for the year abroad? This will really determine where I apply to for university and I need help. Thanks!
Original post by skysavill
I’m really interested in the University of Southampton’s Astrophysics flagship course but I’m not sure if it’s worth going for. It’d be really risky, I feel, because I don’t want to study astronomy (I would have to do this before being given the opportunity to study astrophysics), and only a selection of students are chosen to switch to astrophysics in the second year. Does anyone know how likely you are to get chosen to change to the astrophysics course? And how many people get chosen to go to Boston for the year abroad? This will really determine where I apply to for university and I need help. Thanks!

Hey there
Not too sure but make sure to check out the university of southampton forum as well :yy:
Best wishes,
Cheese

My daughter started on this course and changed to straight physics by the middle of year 2 when she realised the modules were restrictive on the Astro course. She also realised that they only take 5 or 6 students who are in the Astro masters course that consistently get above 70% (1st class level) in each year to Harvard. She also has commitments in the UK now. Just started her 4th year.
You need to be in the Astro flagship course so can transfer on but it is very competitive and high level.
(edited 6 months ago)

I think you're maybe misunderstanding how the course works to some extent, as well as the nature of what astrophysics is vs the content of those modules.

You can do astrophysics modules in the physics degree there whether or not you do the second year astronomy module. However to potentially be selected for the flagship course you need to do that module. The flagship course is just whether or not you go to the Harvard Observatory for a research project in final year or not.

Note that the first year astronomy module covers all the usual first year astrophysics topics you'd expect to be taught so if you're interested in astrophysics you'd be wanting to select that option anyway. It's also a prerequisite for the second year Galaxies module and third year Stellar Evolution module anyway.

The second year observational astronomy module only has 12 spaces so you need to be in the top 12 students on the physics with astronomy course to take it anyway apparently. Since designing satellite missions, conducting observations with radio telescopes, and analysing the data is a major part of what astrophysicists do, it would still be probably a highly recommended module if your interest is in astrophsyics.

You seem to be thinking that astronomy is somehow separate and unrelated to astrophysics, when that isn't the case (both in general and specifically in this instance). Also as above due to limited places it's effectively just for the top handful of students in the cohort and you can't guarantee a place on that scheme regardless.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending