The Student Room Group

should I take physics or chemistry for a level

I am definitely taking French a level an biology a level and an EPA, however I don't know whether to take physics or chemistry for a level, any advice would be really helpful as I have to finalise my options really soon. I find maths pretty difficult but I would say I'm more interested in physics especially astrophysics but less the mechanics and equations for other things. I find chemistry fairly easy although I find most of the topics not that useful to know.
Original post by 𝓵𝓪𝓴𝓮:)
I am definitely taking French a level an biology a level and an EPA, however I don't know whether to take physics or chemistry for a level, any advice would be really helpful as I have to finalise my options really soon. I find maths pretty difficult but I would say I'm more interested in physics especially astrophysics but less the mechanics and equations for other things. I find chemistry fairly easy although I find most of the topics not that useful to know.

What are you thinking of doing after your a-levels?
That may influence your decision.
Original post by Emma:-)
What are you thinking of doing after your a-levels?
That may influence your decision.

I'm thinking of taking a degree in business management which doesn't really have any specific a levels I need to take however I was considering a degree in astrophysics because I find it really interesting. I was also thinking of doing law but I don’t know for sure what I’m doing yet.
If youre considering astrophysics as a degree I think you should take physics - in order to keep that pathway open.
Original post by anonymousssss15
If youre considering astrophysics as a degree I think you should take physics - in order to keep that pathway open.

Yeah true, thanks for ur help everyone : )))
I'm thinking of taking a degree in business management which doesn't really have any specific a levels I need to take however I was considering a degree in astrophysics because I find it really interesting. I was also thinking of doing law but I don’t know for sure what I’m doing yet.

If you are thinking of doing astrophysics then physics may be useful to keep your options open. Check the requirements on unis websites for astrophysics though.

There is a lot of maths in A level physics and, if you want to pursue a degree in physics, you will need maths A level.

As others have said, you really need to check the entry requirements on uni websites for any courses you are considering before you make your final choice.

Some useful resources:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
Hi guys, thank u all so much for ur support! I decided to take physics! So far so good :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest