The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mess.
The old system was best, everything in spoilers with titles as to what the spoilers contained. It was pretty simple and let people choose what they wanted to read.

Aye, people seem to forget that expand tags exist - I think it is helpful to have information on what is hidden.
Reply 261
So I've just read that (50th Anniversary stuff)

Spoiler

Reply 262
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I miss the days of our ridiculous theories and almost obsessive episode analysis and speculation. :moon:

You can still do it, just put it in a spoiler for **** sake.
Original post by Colonel.
You can still do it, just put it in a spoiler for **** sake.

I don't think that was a dig at the spoilering debate, just unrelated nostalgia?
Reply 264
Original post by Watch Key Phone
I don't think that was a dig at the spoilering debate, just unrelated nostalgia?

I wasn't having a dig either.

Ape will know that, we go way back.
Reply 265
It's a kids show and we are no longer kids.
Original post by Abbieastoria
I actually never guessed that until the episode before it was revealed

I want Jenny back! They can't just have her fly off in a spaceship and never be seen again!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I loved Jenny, bet she's probably still tending her and Tennant's kid though!
Reply 267
It's a kids show and we are no longer kids.

It's a kid's show NOW. Matt Smith as the Doctor is too childish and stupid. When David Tennant played the Doctor, him being child-friendly was subtle, and you could tell that he was.

With Smith it's too overplayed and you're right, it's now a kid's show because most of the solutions to the problems (and saving the fricking world) is down to loving someone, it's ridiculous.
Reply 268
Original post by chernid
It's a kid's show NOW. Matt Smith as the Doctor is too childish and stupid. When David Tennant played the Doctor, him being child-friendly was subtle, and you could tell that he was.

With Smith it's too overplayed and you're right, it's now a kid's show because most of the solutions to the problems (and saving the fricking world) is down to loving someone, it's ridiculous.

I would say it's been a kid's show since the 2005 relaunch. I'm fine with that, kid's shows can also appeal to other demographics. At this point, it isn't appealing to me and I have a strong feeling that children don't like it that much either.

It's not even a bad show, it just doesn't know what it is.
I would say it's been a kid's show since the 2005 relaunch. I'm fine with that, kid's shows can also appeal to other demographics. At this point, it isn't appealing to me and I have a strong feeling that children don't like it that much either.

It's not even a bad show, it just doesn't know what it is.

I think the beauty of Doctor Who is that it works for all age groups. On the surface, it's a an extravagant time lord running around and saving the universe. On the other hand, there are deeper meanings and well hidden clues to future episodes/series that you couldn't expect kids to pick up on, let alone understand.

At the same time, I don't see why Matt Smith having a childish nature makes him any less adult-friendly. Personally I find it very amusing and endearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's always been a kid's show. But it is possible for it to be a kid's show and a good show. Unfortunately it is now a kid's show but not very good.

And I don't think the problem is Smith. He's a really strong actor and his version of the Doctor's character is not inherently bad. I think it's mainly down to poor writing. I agree with chernid - everything is overly romanticised. Maybe it's just that Moffat thinks kids can't understand stories which aren't about love? Because his writing for Sherlock (for example) doesn't seem to have the same problem. (Though the sexism is still evident there.)

But I think the main problem with his writing in Doctor Who is that he tries to create overly complicated overarching plot stories, at the expense of individual episodes. I'm fine with a significant overarching plot because it brings the series together, but it has to be woven together carefully within the episodes, and with Moffat he seems to have trouble doing that. It ends up confused and messy in my opinion.
Speculation on 50th anniversary episode.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rascacielos
Speculation on 50th anniversary episode.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

More speculation on anniversary special...

Spoiler

Original post by Feefifofum
More speculation on anniversary special...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 274
Original post by Rascacielos

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Gjaykay

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yet more 50th speculation...

Spoiler