The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dragonrage973
Did anyone else pick up on the Rose hints? The song Hungry like the WOLF

Yesyesyesyes, I was like wbnorguwengoirnbbronornboitnboir :biggrin:

Clara is like a dalek incarnation of Rose - they're both cheeky, bold and cute, they try to talk to monsters (now Clara, and Rose with the dalek in 1x06). Rose was an ordinary girl, working in a shop, wtih no A-levels. But Clara is really intelligent. Don't get me wrong, Rose is my favourite companion from the 'new' series, but it just seems to me like that.

Oh, and I also noticed the music idea - the whole world singing in The Rings of Akhaten, and now the professor (I totally can't remember names) asked Clara to sing him a song. I don't know, it just seems suspicious to me.

The next episode would be quite interesting, looking forward to it!
Glad to see it wasn't just me that thought the wolf thing meant something! And by the looks of that who-lligan theory, theres been quite a lot of clues in recent episodes.

As for episode, well... it was good, but lacked something. The pacing was a little bit off, it all started very suddenly, then sort of dragged then did the classic -quickly wrap everything up at the end- thing.

This seems to be my complaint with a lot of the episodes recently, that there's real issues with the pacing, which basically leads to the threat being solved quickly and with little effort (often by the Doctor saying something clever) near the end, and then I feel a bit disappointed, with a feeling of 'oh, well that was easy'.

I seem to be in the minority as I actually quite liked last weeks episode, while other people said it was one of the worst of the new who. But I liked the fact that you got to see more of the universe, loads of aliens we've never seen before- it gave the feeling that there's still so much out there. Each to their own I suppose.

One more thing I have to say about this weeks episode, is that Clara seemed very odd in it. I loved her in previous episodes, she's smart and witty (and not to bad on the eyes either :wink:). But in this episode something about her really didn't work. In earlier episodes, when she was all excited, happy and fast talking, it made sense because she was running around and having fun with the doctor. But in this episode the tone was different, she should have been more scared and serious. Yes she did say that line about it all getting more real, but the way the character was written in most of the episode still felt very unrealistic and one dimensional. As if all she is, is an over excited school girl who doesn't seem to understand that it is actually real life.

Maybe this its just me, but I'm hoping that in future episodes we'll get to see more sides of her personality. :smile:
Reply 462
Didn't really enjoy the episode's plotl, and the lighting was just so cold, but enjoyed the subtle hints, such as the parallels of episodes, e.g. The Bells of St John = The Idiots Lantern and Cold War = Dalek and references to Rose.

But does anyone know why the doctor had rope, a doll and a toffee apple in his pockets?
Original post by montstar

I seem to be in the minority as I actually quite liked last weeks episode, while other people said it was one of the worst of the new who. But I liked the fact that you got to see more of the universe, loads of aliens we've never seen before- it gave the feeling that there's still so much out there. Each to their own I suppose.

I agree with you actually. I didn't like the actual plot of last week's episode, but I loved seeing a proper alien planet, and the wonders of being able to visit somewhere like that for the first time.

Original post by Faberry

But does anyone know why the doctor had rope, a doll and a toffee apple in his pockets?

Because Stephen Moffat doesn't have a 'quirkiness' off switch?
I thought tonights was really good :smile: more separated from the whole Clara thing but in a way I think that was nice as they've been all about that thus far, the ice men have returned as well, doubt we have seen the last of them!
I think the problem with dr who is that it's trying to appeal to a wider audience, that means they have to cut back on the gore. At series 1, 2005, the Doctor was all ways blowing up the enemies heads, but now, he tries to be compassionate even though he says he gives no mercy, which is the biggest ****ing lie ever. It's gotten cringey ad the plot is too guessable. Also, trying to solve the day by talking to them is the stupid thing ever. I mean imagine WWE wrestlers verbally slaying each other, it's just not as good as action and violence, I was afraid to say it but, I am starting to hate it now. It's too kiddish and I know the original series where for teens but they were gory and good. I know a lot of the old eps are 15's and 12's. bring back Christopher eccleston~all is forgiven.
The empty child and the doctor dances are by far the best ones yet! They actually scared me and it was just so clever and scary!
Original post by Faberry
Didn't really enjoy the episode's plotl, and the lighting was just so cold, but enjoyed the subtle hints, such as the parallels of episodes, e.g. The Bells of St John = The Idiots Lantern and Cold War = Dalek and references to Rose.

I agree - there was a startling resemblance to 'Dalek'.
I was kind of dissapointed that there was only one Ice Warrior - a whole group (or even army) would have been better.
Original post by An Ignorant Duck
I agree - there was a startling resemblance to 'Dalek'.
I was kind of dissapointed that there was only one Ice Warrior - a whole group (or even army) would have been better.

How would you fit an army on a submarine?!
I think the doll may have been Clara's from an early age and some science fiction mumbo jumbo may come into it saying something along the lines of;

This doll is yours from years ago and because you had such a close connection to it, it has developed a lot of psychic energy making it incredibly powerful to do something with it.
Original post by Scienceisgood
How would you fit an army on a submarine?!
I think the doll may have been Clara's from an early age and some science fiction mumbo jumbo may come into it saying something along the lines of;

This doll is yours from years ago and because you had such a close connection to it, it has developed a lot of psychic energy making it incredibly powerful to do something with it.

Well, the point is, I'm not sure one ice warrior really satisfyingly filled 45 minutes. As was the case with last Saturday's episode too.
Watched the episode for a second time. Better than the first time around but Clara is still flat and the story was still pretty dull.

Another thought on the 'Hungry Like the Wolf' reference. It could also be a reference to the 'Tooth and Claw' episode with the werewolf. Not quite sure how it would fit in with anything (apart from the fact that the episode had Rose in it) but it's food for thought all the same.
Original post by Rascacielos
Watched the episode for a second time. Better than the first time around but Clara is still flat and the story was still pretty dull.

Another thought on the 'Hungry Like the Wolf' reference. It could also be a reference to the 'Tooth and Claw' episode with the werewolf. Not quite sure how it would fit in with anything (apart from the fact that the episode had Rose in it) but it's food for thought all the same.

I see what you did there...
Oh, forgot to say, the Doctor's little head-waggling laugh when on the top of the submarine at the end was totally adorable.
Reply 473
The over the top glasses and 'Vegas' opening really annoyed me. I don't know why but it annoyed me that much I found it hard to be objective about the rest of the episode.
Original post by Mess.
The over the top glasses and 'Vegas' opening really annoyed me. I don't know why but it annoyed me that much I found it hard to be objective about the rest of the episode.

That felt very hackneyed. It's been done SO many times now (Idiot's Lantern, Hungry Earth, etc). Yawn.
Original post by TheCrackInTime
I thought this week's episode was ok, but it wasn't great. One of the (admittedly stupid) things that put me off was the accents of the crew. It's ridiculous because accents have never really thrown me when watching Doctor Who before (Cockney market trader in Pompeii anyone?), but why set it on a Soviet sub and have the crew speak with British accents?

I did think this as well, but I reckon they get around it with the whole tardis translation thing. If we're observing from the doctor/clara's point of view, it kinda makes sense.
Original post by The Mad Dog
Unrealistically easy. So unrealistically easy I assumed it had been the doctor attempting to deactivate the missile but Skaldak stopping it from the line "Please Skaldak show some mercy" line before he started trying too deactivate it. I must of got completely the wrong end of the stick.

Mark Gatiss is getting bad at writing endings now because he also wrote the terrible ending to Night Terrors, where the dolls weren't even real and all the boy needed was support from his Dad.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
Mark Gatiss is getting bad at writing endings now because he also wrote the terrible ending to Night Terrors, where the dolls weren't even real and all the boy needed was support from his Dad.

Your source for this is yourself? :teehee:
Original post by Dalek1099

Well, someone isn't a fan of The League of Gentlemen. :smile:
Did anyone notice that Clara's mother died on 5th March 2005 (the date of the first episode)? That could mean she was killed by the Autons, or maybe it has something to do with this Rose theory.

Quick Reply

Latest