The Student Room Group

Teens Sentenced For Murder of Homeless Man

Three teenagers who kicked and punched a homeless man to death in Liverpool for a dare have been sentenced.

Liverpool Crown Court heard Kevin Bennett, 53, was attacked as he slept rough outside a supermarket in August.

He was taken to hospital with serious injuries and died six days later.

Brothers Connor and Brandon Doran, aged 17 and 14, and Simon Evans, 14, were told they would remain in custody until the Home Secretary approved their release.

Passing sentence, Judge Clement Goldstone QC, the Recorder of Liverpool, said: "I think it is a desperately sad reflection on this society that each of you was party to serious violence purely for the sake of it."

He added the tariffs given were, "to all intent and purpose, life sentences".

The three boys, who all denied murder, were found guilty in February following a four-week trial.

'I booted him'
Earlier in the trial the jury was told Connor Doran had goaded Evans by saying: "I bet you haven't got it in you to do him in."

Evans later told his friend: "I started kicking him, I booted him and now he's dead."

Brandon Doran stood look-out as the attack took place, the prosecution said.

Absolutely disgusting and a sad reflection on the growing trends of violence within our young adults. I think it's not so surprising when you look at the Doran's family history of crime though, so it goes to demonstrate a lack of good parenting.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Saw this on the news while having lunch. What a waste of 3 lives.

My thoughts go out to the family of the man that died.
Reply 2
I don't blame the kids. Its the parents I blame for this... The children are brought up by their parents and should be taught better...
Reply 3
"Life sentences" even though two of them would be in their early 20s once they have served their minimum. :facepalm:
Reply 4
Wow, that's awful. What an indictment of the world we live in. Not only do we allow people to be homeless, but have raised people to abuse them for petty entertainment. Inequality in society naturally leads to the dehumanisation of others, especially those at the bottom. It ought not be so shocking to see a news story such as this - the mistreatment of the homeless is not isolated to this incident, but is endemic.
Reply 5
Original post by Sagga
I don't blame the kids. Its the parents I blame for this... The children are brought up by their parents and should be taught better...

I'm not disagreeing but I do think that by aged 14 you should have developed some sense of consciousness and know that actions have consequences. I mean they must be in 3rd or 4rth year at school by now.
Original post by Kiss
Absolutely disgusting and a sad reflection on the growing trends of violence within our young adults. I think it's not so surprising when you look at the Doran's family history of crime though, so it goes to demonstrate a lack of good parenting.

It's so sad that people act like this. :sad: It begs the question of why?

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

Spoiler

Some people have nothing to lose. But what they don't realise is that others have everything to lose.
Reply 8
Their mother was jailed too, for 'Perverting the course of justice'. Her sentence was far too light in my opinion.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kiss
Some people have nothing to lose. But what they don't realise is that others have everything to lose.

That's true, but I really don't understand the mentality of someone who can see a man who is clearly vulnerable and then decide that for no reason, to kick him to death? It's indicative of a deeper problem in society, but even so it's so...I don't even know what word to use, it's horrible.
Original post by Sagga

Not necessarily. I'm not saying that the parents didn't do a bad job, but when you're 14 and 17, you should have some sort of common sense which would dictate that kicking and beating someone to death is wrong...

To be honest, I think my faith in the justice system of the UK has increased as a result of this sentence.
This just makes me so f*cking angry. Scum children.
Reply 12
That's true, but I really don't understand the mentality of someone who can see a man who is clearly vulnerable and then decide that for no reason, to kick him to death? It's indicative of a deeper problem in society, but even so it's so...I don't even know what word to use, it's horrible.

It's merely about feeling powerful from a powerless position in society. When people feel weak they pick on the weaker and the weakest. It's sad but it happens.
Reply 13

Spoiler

Because education directly suppresses base instinct in preference of more reasoned action. Without education we act on instinct, and our instincts are primal.
Original post by miser
Because education directly suppresses base instinct in preference of more reasoned action. Without education we act on instinct, and our instincts are primal.

But it's of no benefit. Even if it's primal, surely you'd kill for food/in danger? Not just take on an innocent man just sitting there? Either way it's terrible and shouldn't have happened
Kids couldn't fight someone there own size now a days, they killed a vurnarable and weak person, my condolences to the family of this man.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
But it's of no benefit. Even if it's primal, surely you'd kill for food/in danger? Not just take on an innocent man just sitting there? Either way it's terrible and shouldn't have happened

Instincts arise out of selective pressures - the benefit is afforded to the genes that promote them, and sometimes also to us in the form of pleasure when we submit to them, depending on the instinct in question. In this case, there is no doubt in my mind that they enjoyed the murder of this man.
Original post by Kiss
I mean they must be in 3rd or 4rth year at school by now.

I was about to go "huh?". Then I noticed your location; in England they'd be in year 9-10.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by The Socktor
I was about to go "huh?". Then I noticed your location; in England they'd be in year 9-10.

What's the year system there? We got Primary 1-7, starting aged 5/6 and finishing aged 10/11, then enter highschool aged 11/12 and have years 1-6, usually finishing aged 17 or 18.
Original post by Kiss
What's the year system there? We got Primary 1-7, starting aged 5/6 and finishing aged 10/11, then enter highschool aged 11/12 and have years 1-6, usually finishing aged 17 or 18.

We have Year 1 (well, you can go to something called "Reception" before that, as I did, but it's optional) at 5/6. You start secondary school at the beginning of Year 7 when you're 11/12 (well, I started in Year 8 when I was 12 and the older kids would be 13, but they changed the rules I think).

If the student wants to, he/she can stay for Sixth Form which covers Years 12 and 13. Generally people in year 12 are 16/17 and people in year 13 are 17/18, however you can go back a year when you're in Sixth Form.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending