The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Octohedral

If you are serious, then you are extraordinarily naive. I suspect you are not serious, because you have called yourself Lord Harold.

I agree that half of the success of private schools is down to upbringing and mentality - if a child is given self confidence and a good work ethic at a young age, rich or poor, then they will do well. However, if they are not given those things, how is that down to anything other than luck?

I went to a private secondary school on a scholarship, but before my parents told me I was taking the exam I didn't even know private schools existed. The fact I went there was entirely down to my parents, and not to me, and I imagine the same applies to you.

Of course I am serious, I would not be replying to endless amounts of people if I was not and as for my username, it is a jokey nickname given to me after a teacher said 'give that boy a title' and my name is not Harold either, just Harry. Judging by your username I would presume that your are a molecule with six atoms but obviously you aren't and this just proves how nonsensical it is to judge somebody by a 'Student Room' name.
The moral turpitude instilled in a child at a young age is important to their chances of success in life however it would be foolish to suggest that those whose parents haven't had a sense of moral duty will never succeed. The very fact however that you and I have both been sent to a private school shows that our parents want to create the most fruitful future possible. Your last point appears to be a somewhat obvious observation, Very few Year 6 students tell their parents that they want to go to a public school purely because they have no idea of what one is. This is where the parents come in and most of the time say that they enjoyed their school and decide to send their child to the same one or indeed one similar one. I will send my children, well son, if I have one, to my school because I know that I enjoyed it and so did my father and so did a great long line of other fathers. Maybe it is different for you though
Original post by Lord Harold
Of course I am serious, I would not be replying to endless amounts of people if I was not and as for my username, it is a jokey nickname given to me after a teacher said 'give that boy a title' and my name is not Harold either, just Harry. Judging by your username I would presume that your are a molecule with six atoms but obviously you aren't and this just proves how nonsensical it is to judge somebody by a 'Student Room' name.
The moral turpitude instilled in a child at a young age is important to their chances of success in life however it would be foolish to suggest that those whose parents haven't had a sense of moral duty will never succeed. The very fact however that you and I have both been sent to a private school shows that our parents want to create the most fruitful future possible. Your last point appears to be a somewhat obvious observation, Very few Year 6 students tell their parents that they want to go to a public school purely because they have no idea of what one is. This is where the parents come in and most of the time say that they enjoyed their school and decide to send their child to the same one or indeed one similar one. I will send my children, well son, if I have one, to my school because I know that I enjoyed it and so did my father and so did a great long line of other fathers. Maybe it is different for you though

I mention your name because it appears to an impartial observer to be directly connected to the topic in hand, yet as you say, jokey. Apologies if you are who you say you are. You do seem to have a lot of comments, so thanks for your reply. :smile:

The one thing I would say is that children with bad academic and moral guidance almost always do not succeed. The exceptions are those who have read the right books at an early age, or had guidance from a teacher or somewhere else. I'm not saying it's impossible to do well, I'm saying that in my experience children almost always end up with their parents' values in the long run.

My point is that it still comes down to luck. Of course I would send my child to a private school - I am on your side in that sense - I don't want private schools banned. I am just pointing out that it's naive to think that anyone can have what you have if they try harder.
Original post by Octohedral
I mention your name because it appears to an impartial observer to be directly connected to the topic in hand, yet as you say, jokey. Apologies if you are who you say you are. You do seem to have a lot of comments, so thanks for your reply. :smile:

The one thing I would say is that children with bad academic and moral guidance almost always do not succeed. The exceptions are those who have read the right books at an early age, or had guidance from a teacher or somewhere else. I'm not saying it's impossible to do well, I'm saying that in my experience children almost always end up with their parents' values in the long run.

My point is that it still comes down to luck. Of course I would send my child to a private school - I am on your side in that sense - I don't want private schools banned. I am just pointing out that it's naive to think that anyone can have what you have if they try harder.

Oh please don't thank me, I'm quite enjoying all these replies!:smile: I also would like to apologise for my lack of paragraphs in the coming writing as my enter isn't working! You have a good point with the fact that those who don't have 'moral and academic guidance' at a young age do not achieve, it is impossible and I completely agree with you. As you also implied anyone can have some sort of lucky break or something like that. I also think that it depends what you class as successful for example you could be a multi millionaire drug dealer living in a stately home and driving a roller, that is not in my eyes successful, but is, I suppose, in a literal sense. What a very interesting philosophical point, what is success?...:smile:
Original post by Iron Lady
That's a silly suggestion. The student shouldn't have to face unfair treatment when they didn't choose it themselves. Private school students and students with tutors still need to work.

Its just that students without tutors have to work harder.
Tutors are an unfair advantage rich tossers have, as are private schools.

I could argue that allowing tutors and private schools for rich kids is unfair treatment to poorer kids whose families are not able to afford those things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
Original post by Asterisk49
Tutors are an unfair advantage rich tossers have, as are private schools.

I could argue that allowing tutors and private schools for rich kids is unfair treatment to poorer kids whose families are not able to afford those things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have said it before and will say it again, If someone from a poorer back ground were to apply for a public school they would be offered bursaries/ scholarships if they are intelligent enough to qualify to get in and had the aptitude to do well , this is not a case of rich versus poor, I know many people at my school who have 85-100% off their school fees because of them coming from a poorer background

Surely it's the other way round. Students with tutors have to work harder, because they have a tutor on their case all the time piling work on them - as opposed to a student with no tutor, who comes home from school and is free to do whatever he wants.

It's like having a personal trainer. You get better results with one, because they make you work more, not less.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 186
Original post by TheGuy117
Firstly, I realise that this thread has been done before, however I believe the Op was incoherent in his argument and didn't even put a reasonably strong argument forward, instead, he just rambled. So here is my concise argument, with just 2 points.

Equality
Quite an obvious place to start is the argument that if by removing wealth as a factor of a child's academic success, the educational system and future generations of society as a whole would be a lot more equal.
Just look at where the top universities are in terms of proportions of students from private school - at the top end.
http://www.studentbeans.com/student-money/a/the-posh-university-league2169.html
Now look at this, studies have found there is a bias in the selection process.
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/top-universities-really-are-biased-in-favour-of-private-school-pupils-8549126.html

More effective
Finland went from having a mediocre education system, to the best in the world, how? They banned private schools and made education equal for all
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/schools/are-finnish-schools-the-best-in-the-world-2289083.html
If you look at other top countries for education, you will find they all have a similar ethos, while "Great" Britain sits in a mediocre 31st place.

I truly believe an education system where equality rules would greatly improve standards for the whole country. Since this is an "Educational Debate", what are your thoughts on this?

Abolishing private schools would not increase the standards in state schools. Why focus on dragging a minority of others down to the same level, rather than focusing on improving the majority? As others have said, a private school is a private business, just like any other, and it would be unfair to close them down on that basis. Moreover, exceptional students from disadvantaged backgrounds are given scholarships etc. This country does provide many opportunities for people to climb each rung of the ladder. What we need to do is focus solely on state schools, rather than blaming private schools.

This is coming from someone who went to some of the worst state schools in the country.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 187
Original post by McMurdo
Abolishing private schools would not increase the standards in state schools. Why focus on dragging a minority of others down to the same level, rather than focusing on improving the majority? As others have said, a private school is a private business, just like any other, and it would be unfair to close them down on that basis. Moreover, exceptional students from disadvantaged backgrounds are given scholarships etc. This country does provide many opportunities for people to climb each rung of the ladder. What we need to do is focus solely on state schools, rather than blaming private schools.

This is coming from someone who went to some of the worst state schools in the country.

Like closing private schools in Finland dragged them down?...Oh wait, schools got better.
Reply 188
Like closing private schools in Finland dragged them down?...Oh wait, schools got better.

How did closing down private schools help the state schooling system? I'm just asking to see if they are actually related at all. If so, how did it actually make a difference? Surely a private business closing down is not going to have a direct effect on the state schools?
' you would work more harder'
I think you should be working more harder in English at the minute you arrogant conceited condescending prick

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 190
I think that anybody who had an unfair advantage over other students with less money e.g tutors, private education that a state school cannot compete with should have that taken into account when an exam paper is marked or something.

At this point its not about who is the smartest, its about who's parents were able to get them into the best schools and force them to revise with a tutor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably the most preposterous thing I have ever heard in my life.
Out of curiosity, are gcse exam conditions less strict in private schools?? For example to the teachers issue help etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, just no. Removing Independent schools would be an absolutely ridiculous thing to do. I'm just gonna' start and leave at saying it would add to the already stretched education budget and leave it at that.

Original post by Millerman
Out of curiosity, are gcse exam conditions less strict in private schools?? For example to the teachers issue help etc.

No they are exactly the same as in the state sector. Silence in a big hall from entry to exit - in fact I have found that state schools are much less strict - I changed for 6th form and people had phones on in their pockets, wrote notes on arms etc. At a private school you would get blasted for that... And they enforce absolute silence around exam halls.

Original post by JamesTheCool
So just allow 7% of the country to have the best possible education, while the rest of us 93% have mediocre to rubbish ones? Sounds fair...

This point is absolute garbage - maybe the top 5% of private schools have excellent teachers, but many have teachers at exactly the same level. The difference is class size and disruptive students, along with pushiness of parents.

Private schools expel 'bad' students and have average class sizes of 10-15 max and parents who are putting a healthy investment into their children and so are obviously going to push them to achieve.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Millerman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean in the exam itself?

If so, then the answer is definitely no. I've sat exams in state and independent schools, and the conditions were exactly the same.
Reply 194
the inequality is not necessarily true. i went to a private school from years 7-11 but i dont think im better than everyone else. I moved to a state school to do my a-levels and its actually worse than my private school. you can get some very stuck up people at either end of the spectrum to be fair!
Firstly, I realise that this thread has been done before, however I believe the Op was incoherent in his argument and didn't even put a reasonably strong argument forward, instead, he just rambled. So here is my concise argument, with just 2 points.

Equality
Quite an obvious place to start is the argument that if by removing wealth as a factor of a child's academic success, the educational system and future generations of society as a whole would be a lot more equal.
Just look at where the top universities are in terms of proportions of students from private school - at the top end.
http://www.studentbeans.com/student-money/a/the-posh-university-league2169.html
Now look at this, studies have found there is a bias in the selection process.
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/top-universities-really-are-biased-in-favour-of-private-school-pupils-8549126.html

More effective
Finland went from having a mediocre education system, to the best in the world, how? They banned private schools and made education equal for all
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/schools/are-finnish-schools-the-best-in-the-world-2289083.html
If you look at other top countries for education, you will find they all have a similar ethos, while "Great" Britain sits in a mediocre 31st place.

I truly believe an education system where equality rules would greatly improve standards for the whole country. Since this is an "Educational Debate", what are your thoughts on this?

I go to a private school. Thanks for boosting my confidence. Private schools will never be banned, so get that out of your head.

To add, students at private schools work harder, and money doesn't just play a part, you have to pass exams etc to get in - it's quite a process depending on the school.
Original post by iLoveMyCatsx
I go to a private school. Thanks for boosting my confidence. Private schools will never be banned, so get that out of your head.

To add, students at private schools work harder, and money doesn't just play a part, you have to pass exams etc to get in - it's quite a process depending on the school.

I can tell you go to a private school from your entirely unfounded comment that 'students at private schools work harder.' Can I ask 1 how you think know that? And 2 how on earth do you justify that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are the actual gcse/A-level exams the same difficulty? And are the exam conditions in both provate and state schools the same? If so surely it's completely fair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Johnathon16
I can tell you go to a private school from your entirely unfounded comment that 'students at private schools work harder.' Can I ask 1 how you think know that? And 2 how on earth do you justify that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well he can't there is no evidence.

However, there is evidence to show that, on average, private students attain higher standards of education.

As to why is debatable I personally put it down to personal incentives to get the most out of school when you are paying for iit.

Also on behalf the staff they can be dismissed and hired much easier allowing private schools to maintain a better quality of staff, this is helped by private vested interests pushing headteachers to make schools attain high standards in order to keep their school competitive and keep profit rolling in.
Original post by FrogInABog
Do you mean in the exam itself?

If so, then the answer is definitely no. I've sat exams in state and independent schools, and the conditions were exactly the same.

Yes, it was just some people I know said that in some private schools the subject teacher would actually be in the exam and so could off help. T be honest I didn't think that would happen but w
Just wanted confirmation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending