The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by justanotherposter
What is it with this series and underwhelming endings? Activating a bomb and then teleporting to safety is not an exciting ending, it's extremely anti-climatic. Once the bomb was set how hard would it have been for the writers to limit the tech the empire ship had so that The Doctor and everyone else had to get to an extraction point to get teleported into the ship? If that was the case they would have had to find a way to slip past the cybermen to get there, this would have made the cybermen a lot more relevant and dangerous, as it was the cybermen didn't really do much other than to serve as a distraction to pad out the chess match.

Yeah, it was such a bad ending. Most of them have been, like the Cold War ending was really abrupt and just bad all round.

Original post by The Wild Youth
oh, my bad!

well, 'a spin' anyway! :tongue:

Ahaha no worries :smile:
Original post by rhw
...means they can avoid coming out of nothing when all of them had been wiped out - like they've often done with the Daleks.

When have they done that with the Daleks? First there was that one lone Dalek in series 1 which killed itself and then there was the Dalek Emperor who barely survived the Time War and made Daleks out of bits of human mashed up. Then when they were destroyed they found out the Cult of Skaro were hiding in a Void Ship and they brought out loads of Daleks which were then sucked back into the Void, but the Cult of Skaro temporal shifted to New York in 1930s where they did that human Dalek plan but eventually only one Dalek remained. That Dalek (Caan I think) did an Emergency Temporal Shift and ended up in the Time War, because he used up like a lot of power. Then that Dalek brought back Davros who used his own cells to create a Dalek Empire. When that plan failed and all the Daleks were destroyed, Davros wasn't shown to die so he might be still alive. Then that Dalek Asylum... it sort of makes sense but it was a bit random. I still wouldn't say that the Daleks come out of "nothing" though.
Theory time (based off of confirmed and speculative stuff):

Spoiler

Probably a little too far fetched. :P

Here are the trailers I'm referring to btw

Original post by Mr.Messy

Spoiler

Interesting :tongue: I don't think that's too far fetched, although you haven't explained everything.

I'm liking the look of the whispermen :colone:
At 2 minutes into this week's episode there's one of the dummies from the God Complex in the background. Relevant, or just lazy prop re-usage?
warwick davis was excellent - ive seen him in lifes too short and idiot abroad but ive never seen him do some proper acting so like you I never realised quite how good he was!!!
Original post by Feefifofum
At 2 minutes into this week's episode there's one of the dummies from the God Complex in the background. Relevant, or just lazy prop re-usage?

I noticed that too.

Spoiler

Re: Fields of Trenzalore

Spoiler

Original post by bluester
warwick davis was excellent - ive seen him in lifes too short and idiot abroad but ive never seen him do some proper acting so like you I never realised quite how good he was!!!

Flitwick?! Griphook?!

Spoiler

Speculation about the TV trailer:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kimsiclez
Flitwick?! Griphook?!

fairpoint, those two escaped my mind.... he was fantastic as griphook as well, flitwick he was never really that involved, but still no complaints!
Original post by Feefifofum

There was a blowfish from torchwood too
he was really good on that Ricky Gervais comedy as well, think he's been in Dr Who before as well (as an alien with red skin IIRC)
Original post by SciFiRory
he was really good on that Ricky Gervais comedy as well, think he's been in Dr Who before as well (as an alien with red skin IIRC)

If you mean Bannakaffalatta the spiky cyborg from the Titanic episode, that wasn't Warwick Davis! That was Jimmy Vee.

Spoiler

Spoiler

really looking forward to next week!
I really didn't like that episode. I mean seriously the wee girl walks into a army base and states that she's bored. I mean seriously, what!?

Also leave the children in a dangerous place by themselves, yes another great idea.

Then the bomb which conviently teleports them to safety when it gets said, if he knew that why didn't he do it in the beginning? I know he didn't want to be found but it would have made more sense. Ah.

I liked the mental battle and Clara was annoying me a bit.

Just ugh!
I dislike how episodes since 2011 have been designed to be more standalone. Don't think we've had a two-parter since The Rebel Flesh and even the past 3 or 4 finales have all been singular episodes.
Well, that was a bit... meh. The kids annoyed me, although thankfully they just stood there for most of it. The cybermen, I dunno, just seemed a bit pointless when they could just upgrade in a blink and fix any weaknesses, what was the point then?

Not my favourite episode of the series, and given Gaimens history, rather disappointing.
Original post by Dalek1099
Completely hating her character-what happened to the Clara of Asylum/Snowmen its all disappeared and she has now become so dull-its such a shame She is in the next series because I really doubt the revelation of her character is going to make up for it.

It's not that I find her dull, I just find her incredibly irritating! All the "look at me, I'm so pretty! Watch me pose!" behaviour, the constant flicking of the hair, the way when she walks she sort of skips/bounces on her heels. Then there's the one liners, the unrealistically snappy fast dialogue, the stupid "quirky" things she says. Every movement she makes is exaggerated. She's constantly posing.
And she was so bossy in this episode! She wasn't this bad in the other episodes, was she? :confused: Maybe it's something to do with when the Doctor said "You're the boss" to her at the end of the last episode?
Aaghh. Her OTT confidence is majorly off-putting as well.

The only thing I like about her are her clothes :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Maid Marian
It's not that I find her dull, I just find her incredibly irritating! All the "look at me, I'm so pretty! Watch me pose!" behaviour, the constant flicking of the hair, the way when she walks she sort of skips/bounces on her heels. Then there's the one liners, the unrealistically snappy fast dialogue, the stupid "quirky" things she says. Every movement she makes is exaggerated. She's constantly posing.
And she was so bossy in this episode! She wasn't this bad in the other episodes, was she? :confused: Maybe it's something to do with when the Doctor said "You're the boss" to her at the end of the last episode?
Aaghh. Her OTT confidence is majorly off-putting as well.

The only thing I like about her are her clothes :redface:

Ahaha I feel like this! I love her dress sense and always say to my sisters that I'd like to have her clothes :L
Reply 919
I liked that episode, although the little girl was quite annoying (I remember a part towards the start, and she says she's tired and does the worst fake yawn I've ever seen, ever).

Anyway, the thought battle was definitely the highlight of that episode for me - Matt Smith plays a brilliant villain with his mix of quirkiness, and madness.

The whole Clara vs Cybermen thing was a bit underwhelming, as Clara seemed to be enjoying herself too much, and the Cybermen didn't seem much of a threat. I hope they don't do one of those 'one Cyberman survives and upgrades into a super Cyberman, whilst somehow raising another Cyberman race that's better than the previous one was' like they usually do.

The ending really didn't surprise me, as using a deus ex machina to save the day is a trait I've come to expect in 90% of Doctor Who episodes. Ignoring this fact (and the annoying girl), the episode was actually one of the best of the series for me.

Overall, I think people are being way too overly-critical of this episode. I've seen lots of posts where people are just nitpicking every bad point of it - seriously, you could do that with any episode, even ones like Blink, and make them seem absolutely rubbish (which we know they're not). Just enjoy the episodes as they come, instead of criticizing every single bad point you see; I'm sure you'll enjoy these episodes much more :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest