The Student Room Group

Reducing and oxdising agents help, + rep.

Hi guys, in a reaction, when a species in a compound (e.g. compound Y) reduces another species, e.g. in compound X, is Y the reducing agent or is the species in compound Y a reducing agent.

I.e. 2HOBr + 2H+ + 2I- -------> Br2 + I2 + 2H2O
so using this equation, the bromine in HOBr is in the +1 oxidation state, so it oxides the iodine (and becomes reduced itself), i.e. it is the oxidising agent, so, is the bromine in hypobromic acid the reducing agent, or is it the hypobromic acid the reducing agent?

You're correct :smile: Y would be the reducing agent

Think of it like this, something cant reduce itself so if it oxidised it cant be oxidising itself therefore must be the reducing agent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NiceToMeetYou
You're correct :smile: Y would be the reducing agent

Think of it like this, something cant reduce itself so if it oxidised it cant be oxidising itself therefore must be the reducing agent

Posted from TSR Mobile

So compound Y is the reducing agent, as opposed to the species in Y, then,

so if a question said, what is the reducing agent in this equation, you would say compound Y, than opposed to species "" in compound Y?
right, :smile:
Yes, the reducing agent itself is oxidised, because it gives out electrons to reduce the other species.
Original post by LeonVII
Yes, the reducing agent itself is oxidised, because it gives out electrons to reduce the other species.

So HOBr is the oxidising agent, than opposed to the Bromine the compound?:smile:
Reply 5
reducing agents are self oxidising. Oxidation is loss of electrons i.e. positive increase in oxidation state thats how you work it out
Reply 6
Original post by Hi, How are you ?
So HOBr is the oxidising agent, than opposed to the Bromine the compound?:smile:

Yes (but the bromide is the reduced species not all of HOBr is reduced)

Yes, but not the HOBr as a whole, only the bromine component.
Original post by LeonVII
Yes, but not the HOBr as a whole, only the bromine component.

So, is the HOBr the oxidizing agent or is the Br the oxidizing agent then? :smile:
So, is the HOBr the oxidizing agent or is the Br the oxidizing agent then? :smile:

The Br :smile:
Original post by LeonVII
The Br :smile:

The Br then,

Thanks, so should i say the Bromine in HOBr is the oxidizing agent or just the Br is the oxidizing agent? :biggrin:
The Br then,

Thanks, so should i say the Bromine in HOBr is the oxidizing agent or just the Br is the oxidizing agent? :biggrin:

Say the oxidizing agent is the HOBr, but the atom within that which does the actual oxidizing is the bromine
Original post by LeonVII
Say the oxidizing agent is the HOBr, but the atom within that which does the actual oxidizing is the bromine

I see, thanks a lot for your help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest