The Student Room Group

M1 Constants of integration

a(t) for a 1D motion of a point is given by a(t)=3t^2+5t-6 for t<20 and a(t)=2t^3-t+1 for t>20. Find s when t=32.

The question essentially wants s(t) then plug in t=32 to find s, I think. First step must be to find v when t=20, so let's integrate:

v=t^3+(5/2)t^2-6t for t<20 (constant=0)
Evaluate this when t=20: v=8880 ms^(-1).
Now v(t) for t>20. v(t)=(1/2)t^4-(1/2)t^2+t+C

Here's my first stumbling block: how do we find the value of C now?
Reply 1
Original post by Big-Daddy
a(t) for a 1D motion of a point is given by a(t)=3t^2+5t-6 for t<20 and a(t)=2t^3-t+1 for t>20. Find s when t=32.

The question essentially wants s(t) then plug in t=32 to find s, I think. First step must be to find v when t=20, so let's integrate:

The constant of integration is the initial velocity.
Reply 2
how do we find the value of C now?

Original post by joostan

Although note that this isn't necessarily true in general - it so happens that the velocity here is a polynomial, so when t=0, every term cancels out so that the arbitrary constant is the only term left.
If, for example, we had v(t)=cos(t)+Cv(t) = cos(t)+C, we'd have v(0)=1+Cv(0) = 1+C, and then the arbitrary constant wouldn't be the initial velocity, but (the initial velocity)-1.
Reply 3
Original post by Smaug123
Although note that this isn't necessarily true in general - it so happens that the velocity here is a polynomial, so when t=0, every term cancels out so that the arbitrary constant is the only term left.
If, for example, we had v(t)=cos(t)+Cv(t) = cos(t)+C, we'd have v(0)=1+Cv(0) = 1+C, and then the arbitrary constant wouldn't be the initial velocity, but (the initial velocity)-1.

This is M1, but I take your point, thanks :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by joostan

Thanks, am I doing it right:

v(t)=(1/2)t^4-(1/2)t^2+t+C
We know that at t=20, v=8880. so C=8880-((1/2)*20^4-(1/2)*20^2+20)=-70940. So v(t)=(1/2)t^4-(1/2)t^2+t-70940.

Now integrate the v(t) for t<20.
s(t)=(1/4)t^4+(5/6)t^3-3t^2 (constant=0)
Plug in t=20 to find s(20)=45,466.67

Integrate the v(t) for t>20. s(t)=(1/10)t^5-(1/6)t^3=(1/2)t^2-70940t+C
Calculate C using s(20)=45,466.67 and t=20 in that equation.
This is the function s(t) for t>20. Plug in t=32 and you have t. No need to add any previous constants or previous distances, you just plug in 32 (once you've evaluated C) and you get out the value of the displacement s at t=32.

Correct?
Reply 5

Doesn't even come up in M4 :tongue:

Could you check through to see if my working makes sense? (The post above)
Reply 6
Could you check through to see if my working makes sense? (The post above)

I haven't checked your numbers, but it looks fine to me. On a vaguely related note, something to be aware of is that they might try and catch you out by asking about distance rather than displacement - if you integrate velocity you'll get displacement, which isn't helpful in a distance question.
Reply 7
I haven't checked your numbers, but it looks fine to me. On a vaguely related note, something to be aware of is that they might try and catch you out by asking about distance rather than displacement - if you integrate velocity you'll get displacement, which isn't helpful in a distance question.

How would I solve this question if they asked for distance instead of displacement?
Reply 8
How would I solve this question if they asked for distance instead of displacement?

Then you'd have to look at the velocity and make sure that whenever the velocity was negative, you continued to add on the distance (rather than subtract, as you would implicitly be doing with displacement). That is, x(t)=0tv(u)dux(t) = \int_0^t |v(u)| du.
Reply 9
Then you'd have to look at the velocity and make sure that whenever the velocity was negative, you continued to add on the distance (rather than subtract, as you would implicitly be doing with displacement). That is, x(t)=0tv(u)dux(t) = \int_0^t |v(u)| du.

What is uu?
Reply 10
What is uu?

A dummy variable that I just use for integration; it could just as well be α\alpha or something. I would usually use xx, except that x already has a meaning (in this example, it's distance) so I can't use it again without being a bit sloppier than I would like.
Reply 11
A dummy variable that I just use for integration; it could just as well be α\alpha or something. I would usually use xx, except that x already has a meaning (in this example, it's distance) so I can't use it again without being a bit sloppier than I would like.

Isn't it tt?

Are you telling me I can't just integrate the modulus of v(t) with respect to t and get my answer? :tongue:
Reply 12
Isn't it tt?

Are you telling me I can't just integrate the modulus of v(t) with respect to t and get my answer? :tongue:

Urgh, I find that this is quite a hard-to-explain point (a fact about my incompetence, I know, rather than the fact itself).
When you integrate, you integrate with respect to some variable. In the process, that variable "disappears" if you substitute stuff in (that is, if you're doing a definite integral). For example: x2dx=x33+C\int x^2 dx = \frac{x^3}3 + C, but 0ax2dx=a33\int_0^a x^2 dx = \frac{a^3}3 - and you see that the x has vanished. Hence, if you do a definite integral, you need to use a "dummy variable": 0tx2dx=t33\int_0^t x^2 dx = \frac{t^3}3, and that's how you get t in your answer. Make sense? It's too late at night for me to be coherent :P
Reply 13
Urgh, I find that this is quite a hard-to-explain point (a fact about my incompetence, I know, rather than the fact itself).
When you integrate, you integrate with respect to some variable. In the process, that variable "disappears" if you substitute stuff in (that is, if you're doing a definite integral). For example: x2dx=x33+C\int x^2 dx = \frac{x^3}3 + C, but 0ax2dx=a33\int_0^a x^2 dx = \frac{a^3}3 - and you see that the x has vanished. Hence, if you do a definite integral, you need to use a "dummy variable": 0tx2dx=t33\int_0^t x^2 dx = \frac{t^3}3, and that's how you get t in your answer. Make sense? It's too late at night for me to be coherent :P

That's all very well, in fact it makes perfect sense - except that in your previous post you wrote dudu, which seems to conflict with the fact that you're still writing dxdx when integrating f(x) here.

Maybe it would be best if you could just solve the example in my OP for distance? No need to get any numbers, just say the process.
Reply 14
That's all very well, in fact it makes perfect sense - except that in your previous post you wrote dudu, which seems to conflict with the fact that you're still writing dxdx when integrating f(x) here.

Maybe it would be best if you could just solve the example in my OP for distance? No need to get any numbers, just say the process.

In which case I shall rewrite my previous post as 0au2du\int_0^a u^2 du - the name I use for the variable doesn't matter, as long as it's a) consistent, and b) not used outside the integral.
In the example, you need to do 0tu42u22+u+Cdu\int_0^t |\frac{u^4}2-\frac{u^2}2+u+C| du - of course, we don't necessarily have an initial condition any more, because the initial condition was about displacement rather than distance. You would carry out this integral by working out where the integrand became negative, splitting up the range of integration at those points, and evaluating the integrals separately there. Then you can add them together at the end. (Sorry, I'm a bit too tired at the moment to do it properly…)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
In which case I shall rewrite my previous post as 0au2du\int_0^a u^2 du - the name I use for the variable doesn't matter, as long as it's a) consistent, and b) not used outside the integral.
In the example, you need to do 0tu42u22+u+Cdu\int_0^t |\frac{u^4}2-\frac{u^2}2+u+C| du - of course, we don't necessarily have an initial condition any more, because the initial condition was about displacement rather than distance. You would carry out this integral by working out where the integrand became negative, splitting up the range of integration at those points, and evaluating the integrals separately there. Then you can add them together at the end. (Sorry, I'm a bit too tired at the moment to do it properly…)

Loving the edit :tongue: Anyway, thanks for your help!

Quick question, those a's highlighted, what do they stand for?
Reply 17
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Quick question, those a's highlighted, what do they stand for?

Acceleration.
Acceleration.

EDIT: Ignore, I'm being so silly :P
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest