The Student Room Group

Updates to Forum Designs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kidomo
TSR Is like the government, no matter how much you protest, peaceful or not, they'd rather you kept your mouth shut. Have you ever asked yourself? Why we don't get to vote on site changes? Totalitarian at its best.

Well, because it's a branch of The Student Room Group - it's their business and if they decide to change the design that's up to them. However, you are able to give feedback on design changes before they go live if you're in the testing team - which seems like a fair deal: certainly better than most companies give their customers when changing aspects of their products.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Well, because it's a branch of acumenPI

For future reference, Acumen PI is now just 'The Student Room Group' :smile:
Original post by RightSaidJames
For future reference, Acumen PI is now just 'The Student Room Group' :smile:

Cheers, duly edited :yy:
Original post by kidomo
TSR Is like the government, no matter how much you protest, peaceful or not, they'd rather you kept your mouth shut. Have you ever asked yourself? Why we don't get to vote on site changes? Totalitarian at its best.

A company !== a country.

TSR is not totalitarian, as TSR is not a society, it is a forum which people are allowed to use if you accept the rules.

A bus company isn't totalitarian by deciding to paint all their buses bright yellow, and giving you no say in if they paint their buses bright yellow or not.
Reply 484
Original post by G8D
Slight graphical issue

Not clearing my cache to find out if that causes it.

Also is the header scrolling a new thing?

Yeah it's a CSS bug, we're working on a quick fix. And yes, that's a new thing.
Original post by Dez

Oooh I like this. I like this a lot :teeth:
Original post by Dez

The green header bar covers half of the sub's TSR logo.
Reply 487
Original post by Dez

Hmm.. This bit doesn't go away:

Reply 488
quite good to see the header scrolling as you scroll down the page, as I do use some of the things on the header.
You know what would be good? A link back to the homepage on the new scrolling header.
I always have to scroll right back to the top or press the home button on my keyboard and then click the big logo on the top left. Would be easier not to have to do that!
Reply 491
Have to say I think the bar at the top is annoying as its essentially a waste of space which is taking up part of my screen
Reply 492
Original post by c_al
Have to say I think the bar at the top is annoying as its essentially a waste of space which is taking up part of my screen

I'm tempted to say the same, but I don't know if it's just because I'm not used to it.
The green bar also covers the top of a post when you go to the latest post in a thread.
Reply 494
This just shifted:

Reply 495
Original post by c_al

Original post by Zottula
I'm tempted to say the same, but I don't know if it's just because I'm not used to it.

Agreed, in both cases.
There's a block of green crap following me down the screen.

It doesn't scroll left and right on the phone (nokia c3) so I can't use the search feature or the link to the log in page anymore.
Well done, I said the next time you performed an 'upgrade' to the site it'd make it unusable for me and you so nearly succeeded this time. Fortunately I kinda guessed what might be coming and bookmarked a link to the login page.

You seriously need to get a grip on the stupid cosmetic changes you're constantly making to the site. Commercial companies don't ass about like this with their users. People come here to use the message board not look at a load of pointless bells and whistles - saying people should join the testing team does not make it alright.

The out of the box forum is usable and fairly attractive it'd be so much better if you left it that way.
I seriously hope you pass this up to someone with the authority to reign in your fiddling. It's not about making it work for every particular brand of phone or improving your testing procedures... It's about recognising when you've got a ui that works well alone and not mucking about for no reason.
You are not loosing market share or whatever it is you're worried about because the forum doesn't have enough gimmicks in it's menus.
Reply 497
Fixing the green header bar to the viewport is not a bad idea but once again badly implemented. For a start it cuts off the tops of posts if you follow a link directly to one, it also doesn't play nicely with logos and menus. Having made my living building websites in the past I can say I would not have expected to receive my full fee for everything that's been done to TSR over the last couple of months, not because it's aesthetically displeasing (although it is) but because it's shoddy work.

If you're determined to burn time and money on this, can I suggest doing something useful rather than unnecessary cosmetic changes which please nobody. You might start by considering mobile accessibility.
The green bar doesn't move on my phone or my tablet :dontknow: Not that it really matters since I tend to use the app anyway.
Hi all,

The green header bar shouldn't move on mobile devices (but it's possible that a few mobile browsers will still render it to scroll down the page).

The anchoring issue (where it covers the top of posts) is on the list to be fixed, as are the problems with the logos. Hopefully this will be sorted ASAP.

Thanks for your patience :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending