The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Following on from DJ's q

Spoiler

Original post by MAyman12
Why is that?:redface:

This is a lame explanation but the algorithm required to compute nCr^nC_r requires that you get the factorial of n which can only occur if it's a positive integer.
Original post by Felix Felicis
Following on from DJ's q

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by reubenkinara
This is a lame explanation but the algorithm required to compute nCr^nC_r requires that you get the factorial of n which can only occur if it's a positive integer.

Following on from DJ's q

Spoiler

I think you should have left the 2 as 63\dfrac{6}{3}. It's makes the pattern easier to see :biggrin:
I think you should have left the 2 as 63\dfrac{6}{3}. It's makes the pattern easier to see :biggrin:

Hmmm, I didn't want to give it away that easily. :L

Original post by DJMayes

Spoiler

Sehr gut :wink:
Hmmm, I didn't want to give it away that easily. :L

Sehr gut :wink:

My last Q for you before I retire :smile:
snip.PNG
My last Q for you before I retire :smile:
snip.PNG

I=dx(x1)x21I = \displaystyle\int \dfrac{dx}{(x-1) \sqrt{x^{2} - 1}}

Let x=1+u1I=duu12u1+u21u2x = 1 + u^{-1} \Rightarrow I = -\displaystyle\int \dfrac{du}{u^{-1} \sqrt{2u^{-1} + u^{-2}}} \dfrac{1}{u^{2}}

=(2u+1)12du=2u+1+C= - \displaystyle\int (2u + 1)^{-\frac{1}{2}} du = - \sqrt{2u + 1} + \mathcal{C}

=x+1x1+C= - \sqrt{\dfrac{x+1}{x-1}} + \mathcal{C} as required

secαsecβ1(x1)x21dx=[x+1x1]secβsecα \displaystyle\int_{\sec \alpha}^{\sec \beta} \dfrac{1}{(x-1) \sqrt{x^{2} - 1}} dx = \left[ \sqrt{ \dfrac{x+1}{x-1}} \right]_{\sec \beta}^{\sec \alpha}

=secα+1secα1secβ+1secβ1= \sqrt{ \dfrac{\sec \alpha + 1}{\sec \alpha - 1}} - \sqrt{ \dfrac{\sec \beta + 1}{\sec \beta - 1}}

=(cosα+1)2sin2α(cosβ+1)2sin2β= \sqrt{ \dfrac{ (\cos \alpha + 1)^{2}}{\sin^{2} \alpha}} - \sqrt{ \dfrac{ (\cos \beta + 1)^{2}}{\sin^{2} \beta}}

=cotα2cotβ2= \cot \dfrac{\alpha}{2} - \cot \dfrac{\beta}{2}
(edited 10 years ago)
Unparseable latex formula:

I = \displaystyle\int \dfraC{1}{(x-1) \sqrt{x^{2} - 1}} dx

Let x=1+u1I=duu12u1+u21u2x = 1 + u^{-1} \Rightarrow I = -\displaystyle\int \dfrac{du}{u^{-1} \sqrt{2u^{-1} + u^{-2}}} \dfrac{1}{u^{2}}

=(2u+1)1/2du=2u+1+C=x+1x1+C= - \displaystyle\int (2u + 1)^{-1/2} du = - \sqrt{2u + 1} + \mathcal{C} = - \sqrt{\dfrac{x+1}{x-1}} + \mathcal{C} as required

secαsecβ1(x1)x21dx=[x+1x1]secβsecα \displaystyle\int_{\sec \alpha}^{\sec \beta} \dfrac{1}{(x-1) \sqrt{x^{2} - 1}} dx = \left[ \sqrt{ \dfrac{x+1}{x-1}} \right]_{\sec \beta}^{\sec \alpha}

=secα+1secα1secβ+1secβ1= \sqrt{ \dfrac{\sec \alpha + 1}{\sec \alpha - 1}} - \sqrt{ \dfrac{\sec \beta + 1}{\sec \beta - 1}}

=(cosα+1)2sin2α(cosβ+1)2sin2β= \sqrt{ \dfrac{ (\cos \alpha + 1)^{2}}{\sin^{2} \alpha}} - \sqrt{ \dfrac{ (\cos \beta + 1)^{2}}{\sin^{2} \beta}}

=cotα2cotβ2= \cot \dfrac{\alpha}{2} - \cot \dfrac{\beta}{2}

correct. Sorry :frown: Just realised that it must've been a pain to type out in latex! Thanks
correct. Sorry :frown: Just realised that it must've been a pain to type out in latex! Thanks

I've had worse :L
Very accessible question, as long as you know what a polynomial is. Let's see who will crack it the quickest! Show that if two polynomials are equal over a given interval, then they are the same polynomial.
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Very accessible question, as long as you know what a polynomial is. Let's see who will crack it the quickest! Show that if two polynomials are equal over a given interval, then they are the same polynomial.

Spoiler

Original post by Lord of the Flies

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Messed up my maths A-Level so gonna have to retake next year :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DJMayes

Spoiler

Ah, that is a nice proof.
Suppose that x,y and z are natural numbers satisfying xy=z2+1. Prove that there exist integers a,b,c,d such that x=a2+b2,y=c2+d2 and z=ac+bd.

Hint

Spoiler

:colone::colone::colone:
(edited 10 years ago)
Suppose that x,y and z are natural numbers satisfying xy=z2+1. Prove that there exist integers a,b,c,d such that x=a2+b2,y=c2+d2 and z=ac+bd.

Hint

Spoiler

Brain dead after 3 hours of bio so I'll do this the lazy way - Proof by example.:tongue:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3577

Hint

Spoiler

What does the i mean? :s-smilie:
Original post by tigerz

i2=1i^2=-1 :smile:
Original post by tigerz

It's an imaginary number

it is denoted as i=1i=\sqrt{-1}

If you do FP1 onwards you'll come across them all the time