The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tigerz
log32=ab3ab=2\log_{3}2=\frac{a}{b} \therefore 3^\frac{a}{b}=2 this means 2b=3a2^b=3^a
We know that 2b2^b will be even so can be represented by 2w2w
We also know that 3a3^a will be odd so is 2x+1 2x+1
This means 2b=3a2w=2x+1w=x+12^b=3^a\equiv 2w=2x+1\therefore w=x+1

URM i'm lost now, I need to link it back to the original question but confused :confused:

You have that 2w=2x+12w = 2x+1
Where w and x are positive integers. Can you spot a problem in this? :smile:
Reply 3901
Original post by joostan
You have that 2w=2x+12w = 2x+1
Where w and x are positive integers. Can you spot a problem in this? :smile:

OHH basically, if 2w and 2x are positive integers they can be simplified, and the initial statement said that a/b is in its simplest form is untrue!
I dunno :s-smilie: really sorry, I'll come back in a bit gotta sort something out
Original post by joostan
Basis case.
Inductive step. (n=k)
n=k+1

e.g.
Prove that:
r=1nr=n2(n+1)\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^n r = \frac{n}{2}(n+1)

Okay, I'm stuck on the inductive step, would the this assumption be correct or not?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369685708.149291.jpg

This seems completely wrong though :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DJMayes
The question relies on one specific result for generating sets, although there are probably other ways you can obtain the result to the ones we've been through. However, you cannot really go further with it due to the infinite number of potential solutions. By the way, I'm not entirely convinced your use of modular arithmetic is correct:

Spoiler

(Also, you think you've been watching too much? Started watching it a month or two ago, now halfway through the fifth season. )

I know, but in essence it gives you the same equation to generate sets of solutions which is what joostan and justinawe proposed earlier - Mayman said it was unsatisfactory so presumably there's a more general solution that he knows of and it's bugging me :dontknow:

And my apologies but I don't really see the problem :s-smilie: I've written exactly what you have (albeit skipped a step) and nowhere have I written p3mod5p^{3} mod 5 :s-smilie: But yeah, I suppose it would've been easier to write 5p35 | p^{3} or something :lol:

It's good isn't it? I started last week and I'm on season 2 :ninja: Hugh Laurie is a god
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MathsNerd1
Okay, I'm stuck on the inductive step, would the this assumption be correct or not?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369685708.149291.jpg

This seems completely wrong though :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not quite:
r=1k+1r=r=1kr+(k+1)\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{k+1} r = \displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{k} r + (k+1) :smile:
Original post by tigerz
OHH basically, if 2w and 2x are positive integers they can be simplified, and the initial statement said that a/b is in its simplest form is untrue!
I dunno :s-smilie: really sorry, I'll come back in a bit gotta sort something out

Spoiler

Original post by joostan
Not quite:
r=1k+1r=r=1kr+(k+1)\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{k+1} r = \displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{k} r + (k+1) :smile:

Of course! I have no idea what was making me believe what I wrote down as it was complete and utter nonsense!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone run through the basics of induction and then give me some relatively easy questions so I can work at it, then slowly bump up the difficulty so I'm able to try a few STEP questions on the topic, I just feel like I've forgotten too much of it to do anything that would be any good :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Induction is a method of proof used when you want to prove a statement concerning integers, and this is usually restricted to positive integers. The logic is essentially this:

- Prove that it is true for one specific case
- Prove that, if it is true for one case, it must be true for the next.

You usually perform the 2nd step by assuming that it is true for some value of n (Denoted k) and showing that this implies it is true when n=k+1. First of all, do the question joostan set you. Then, look at this question:

Prove that dndxn(xex)=(x+n)ex \frac{d^n}{dx^n} (xe^x) = (x+n)e^x

Induction hint:

Spoiler

Full solution:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by joostan
Not quite:

Okay I've been able to prove that one, here's my solution, if you can read it.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369686389.669255.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DJMayes
Induction is a method of proof used when you want to prove a statement concerning integers, and this is usually restricted to positive integers. The logic is essentially this:

You usually perform the 2nd step by assuming that it is true for some value of n (Denoted k) and showing that this implies it is true when n=k+1. First of all, do the question joostan set you. Then, look at this question:

Induction hint:

Spoiler

Full solution:

Spoiler

Onto your question now, thanks for your time by the way and that's a great way of explaining it too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay I've been able to prove that one, here's my solution, if you can read it.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369686389.669255.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks good to me :biggrin:
Original post by DJMayes

Induction hint:

Spoiler

Full solution:

Spoiler

This is what I got, which now looking at your solution seems the same really :smile:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369687035.588117.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joostan
Looks good to me :biggrin:

Thanks, do you have a more challenging one like DJ provided me :smile: I feel the hardest part is finding what else to add when proving n= K+1 but once I have it's very simple, or at least these cases were :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Felix Felicis
I know, but in essence it gives you the same equation to generate sets of solutions which is what joostan and justinawe proposed earlier - Mayman said it was unsatisfactory so presumably there's a more general solution that he knows of and it's bugging me :dontknow:

And my apologies but I don't really see the problem :s-smilie: I've written exactly what you have (albeit skipped a step) and nowhere have I written p3mod5p^{3} mod 5 :s-smilie: But yeah, I suppose it would've been easier to write 5p35 | p^{3} or something :lol:

It's good isn't it? I started last week and I'm on season 2 :ninja: Hugh Laurie is a god

Protip: You can edit your own post to try save face but you can't edit joostan's post quoting you on page 194, and so trying to do so carries the risk that someone might remember said quote, and you end up looking a lot worse than if you'd just said "Fair enough, fixed."

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2348214&page=194&page=194
Thanks, do you have a more challenging one like DJ provided me :smile: I feel the hardest part is finding what else to add when proving n= K+1 but once I have it's very simple, or at least these cases were :biggrin:
Posted from TSR Mobile

DJ Set a slightly harder version of this on the old thread.
Prove by induction that:
ddx(xn)=nxn1\dfrac{d}{dx}(x^n)=nx^{n-1}
Original post by DJMayes
Protip: You can edit your own post to try save face but you can't edit joostan's post quoting you on page 194, and so trying to do so carries the risk that someone might remember said quote, and you end up looking a lot worse than if you'd just said "Fair enough, fixed."

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2348214&page=194&page=194

That was a LaTeX error which I edited after I saw it...if you look, the last edit to my solution was at 20:04 and your post was at 20:30... -.-
That was a LaTeX error which I edited after I saw it...if you look, the last edit to my solution was at 20:04 and your post was at 20:30... -.-

It's not actually possible to see what time my post was at, it just says "1 hour ago" which means anything up to 1 : 59 : 999 and doesn't help us.

(And even if that's the case, why would you not simply say "that was an error, I've edited it out?" rather than stating that you never wrote it, which is clearly false...)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by joostan
DJ Set a slightly harder version of this on the old thread.
Prove by induction that:
ddx(xn)=nxn1\dfrac{d}{dx}(x^n)=nx^{n-1}

I've gotten stuck on the inductive step :-/

Hmm let me take another look at it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DJMayes
It's not actually possible to see what time my post was at, it just says "1 hour ago" which means anything up to 1:59:999 and doesn't help us.

(And even if that's the case, why would you not simply say "that was an error, I've edited it out?" rather than stating that you never wrote it, which is clearly false...)

Hover above the "1 hour ago" and it says 20:30....

Ok, I did write it but I didn't realise that you saw the solution with the LaTeX error and thought you were scrutinising my solution based on the updated one. :redface: My bad. And tbf, I didn't say "I never wrote it" I said "Nowhere have I written it" which is true as I made that post after updating my solution.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hover above the "1 hour ago" and it says 20:30....

Ok, I did write it but I didn't realise that you saw the solution with the LaTeX error and thought you were scrutinising my solution based on the updated one. :redface: My bad. And tbf, I didn't say "I never wrote it" I said "Nowhere have I written it" which is true as I made that post after updating my solution.

Well, I learned something new today. :lol:

And fair enough - this did come across very fishy from my perspective though. :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending