The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MathsNerd1
What do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

2n is the sumation of all the coeffecients of a binomial expansion. So you can try to prove it by expanding anything which is raised to a power>4. I'm just suggesting a solution, so I'm not exactly sure wether I'm right or wrong:redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
What do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He means the question doesn't require induction, but in my defence, you asked for a proof by induction question :redface:
Original post by Felix Felicis
He means the question doesn't require induction, but in my defence, you asked for a proof by induction question :redface:

Oh okay and I did indeed, just not quite sure how to even attempt this one :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well yeah but how much effort do you need to put in to write a random number and then copy and paste it xD

Ctrl+V doesn't really take more effort than typing '1' :colone:
Original post by justinawe
Ctrl+V doesn't really take more effort than typing '1' :colone:

Shush :colone: Fine fine I concede defeat :lol:
Oh okay and I did indeed, just not quite sure how to even attempt this one :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

What do you mean?

Ah I should have read the preceding posts, if you're practising induction then carry on. I just meant that induction seems a waste of time on this one, because you can prove the inequality by simply re-writing it.

Spoiler

Erm (K +1)K! ? I've never really understood how to manipulate factorials :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lord of the Flies

I was wondering...would you mind having a look at this problem? :s-smilie: Proof by example's not permitted apparently :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, what've you got so far? :smile:
Reply 3970
question

rational+irrational=irrationala+b=c\rightarrow a+b=c
where a=x/ya=x/y and c=v/wc=v/w as they are rational

this means a+b=cxy+b=vwa+b=c\rightarrow \frac{x}{y}+b=\frac{v}{w}

a+b=cxy+b=vwb=vwxya+b=c\rightarrow \frac{x}{y}+b=\frac{v}{w} \rightarrow b=\frac{v}{w}-\frac{x}{y}

b=vywyxwwyb=vyxwwy[br][br]SincetheRHSisrational(asitsafractionwith+iveintergers)Bmustberational)b=\frac{vy}{wy}-\frac{xw}{wy}\therefore b=\frac{vy-xw}{wy}[br][br]Since the RHS is rational (as its a fraction with +ive intergers) B must be rational)
However at the start of the eq we stated that b= irrational vyxwwy\therefore \frac{vy-xw}{wy} is irrational! This is contradicting so the sum must be irrational

I think I did it right
(edited 10 years ago)
I was wondering...would you mind having a look at this problem? :s-smilie: Proof by example's not permitted apparently :s-smilie:

I did not say that proof by example is not allowed. As my friend who gave me the question said that there is an another way of solving it. He did give a hint related to complex numbers so this must be the way:redface:

Proof by example is all right, you just want to find an another solution for it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ok, what've you got so far? :smile:

I've got pretty much no where as I'm unsure how to prove on side is greater than another :-/ Could you work through a solution to show me how it's done and I'll see if I'm able to follow it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MAyman12
I did not say that proof by example is not allowed. As my friend who gave me the question said that there is an another way of solving it. He did give a hint related to complex numbers so this must be the way:redface:

Proof by example is all right, you just want to find an another solution for it.

That's what I've tried but I wasted most of today trying to and I just want to put my mind to rest. :redface:

I've got pretty much no where as I'm unsure how to prove on side is greater than another :-/ Could you work through a solution to show me how it's done and I'll see if I'm able to follow it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I take it you've gotten to the inductive hypothesis that k!>2kk! > 2^{k} ?

Well, to complete the inductive step, you want to show that (k+1)!>2k+1(k+1)! > 2^{k+1}

Can you think of how to get to (k+1)!(k+1)! from k!k! ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.

It's because,

(k+1)!(k+1)!

=1×2×3××k×(k+1)= 1 \times 2 \times 3 \times \dots \times k \times (k+1)

=(1×2×3××k)(k+1)=k!(k+1)= (1 \times 2 \times 3 \times \dots \times k) (k+1) = k!(k+1)
That's what I've tried but I wasted most of today trying to and I just want to put my mind to rest. :redface:

Well, to complete the inductive step, you want to show that (k+1)!>2k+1(k+1)! > 2^{k+1}

Isn't it

Spoiler

?
Edit: Already mentioned :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)

I keep forgetting that what I've assumed in n=K has to be used in the inductive step too, my mistake :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes.

It's because,

(k+1)!(k+1)!

=1×2×3××k×(k+1)= 1 \times 2 \times 3 \times \dots \times k \times (k+1)

=(1×2×3××k)(k+1)=k!(k+1)= (1 \times 2 \times 3 \times \dots \times k) (k+1) = k!(k+1)

Okay, thanks I think I can see how to prove it all now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay I thought I got it but I couldn't make any sense of it. To express (K+1)! = K!(K+1) but do I now use the fact that K! > 2^k in my induction step, if so then how exactly as this inequality seems to be making me quite cautious :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay I thought I got it but I couldn't make any sense of it. To express (K+1)! = K!(K+1) but do I now use the fact that K! > 2^k in my induction step, if so then how exactly as this inequality seems to be making me quite cautious :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok:

i) How do you get from k!k! to (k+1)!(k+1)! ?

ii) How do you get from 2k2^{k} to 2k+12^{k+1} ?

Latest

Trending

Trending