The Student Room Group

Can I use a Ski Jacket for hill walking?

Been to every store out there and very few jacket fit me perfectly. There's a ski jacket that seems warm, is waterproof and fits perfectly. But I don't ski!

Would I be able to use this when I go hill walking/mountaineering?

I've never done hill walking so really want to get into it thats all :smile:
Original post by ahha
Been to every store out there and very few jacket fit me perfectly. There's a ski jacket that seems warm, is waterproof and fits perfectly. But I don't ski!

Would I be able to use this when I go hill walking/mountaineering?

I've never done hill walking so really want to get into it thats all :smile:

The only experience of hill walking I have is from my DofE expedition; I'd say a ski jacket is fine as long as it's waterproof and warm :smile:
Reply 2
Yes, but it probably isn't best. When you're hillwalking, layers is key. You need to be able to remove layers to cool down and stay dry, or to warm up. If you're just wearing a skiing jacket and t shirt, you might have to choose between being dry or being comfortable.
I'd think it's ok. I don't ski but wear a ski jacket every winter. Make sure to get one with zips under the arms - undoing those makes a massive difference to stop you getting too hot.
Reply 4
I wouldn't bother going for a perfect fit - I just wear my mum's old walking jacket with extra layers to make it fit. Like pjm600 says, you're going to be constantly getting cold/overheating depending on which stage of the climb you're at, so you want a few different layers to be taking off/putting on.

Quick Reply

Latest