The Student Room Group

Ski masks trend

My older brother (26) follows whatever trend he things is cool/thug/whatever, or "drip" as he says. In the last year or so he has started wearing a ski mask out in public. He's into the whole Nike tech fleece / designer slides kind of style. I just think he looks like a bank robber or someone who's about to mug me - certainly someone who I'd cross the road to avoid, especially at night. Plenty of his friends wear the ski masks too, they go out to grime/drill nights together which I'll be the first to admit isn't my scene. He's a white kid from Weybridge by the way, the son of two doctors. Friends are from similar backgrounds. I just don't get it.

When I asked him about it he just said "it's 2023". Right ... so just because it's 2023 we have to put up with people walking around in ski masks in broad daylight as if they're about to mug you? In 2013 he wore his trousers belted around his thighs, so low that he couldn't even walk and had to waddle around like a penguin, now in 2023 he thinks it's cool to cover his face like a criminal. "No face, no case" is apparently the motto at the moment.

I'm so different from him and his friends, and despite being 5 years younger always seem more mature. Does anyone else get this trend? I feel like an old soul but why would you want to look like a thug?
Reply 1
See it loads by me, too. Crazy behaviour.
Never seen this before- my mind is blown!
Reply 3
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Never seen this before- my mind is blown!

I've seen it a few times on the tube and at bus stops, mainly in London and bizarrely around my area which is a nice upper-middle class suburb ... wannabe gangsters. Just looks dumb to me, especially when it's hot. When I see my brother wearing a full tracksuit and ski mask and it's 25+ degrees out, I think how sweaty it must get.
Reply 4
It's rough as **** where I am so all the little scallies are at it. In my day the bad lads didn't need to hide their faces. New breed of knife-carrying, ninja-looking gobshites. Sad.
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
It's rough as **** where I am so all the little scallies are at it. In my day the bad lads didn't need to hide their faces. New breed of knife-carrying, ninja-looking gobshites. Sad.

Haha, tragic indeed! Especially when it's privileged upper class louts like my brother and his "bluds". Stop trying to be tough/street and just get on with a productive life!
Reply 6
If he's doing this at 26, he's got a serious problem. This is the kind of thing that idiots do at 15.

He's basically a total clown. If you get stopped by police, you're going to get searched and a balaclava is the trappings of a criminal. The fact that he's 26 will make them think he's an actual serious robber, not some stupid kid - and this is how you ruin your life.
Reply 7
Original post by Trinculo
If he's doing this at 26, he's got a serious problem. This is the kind of thing that idiots do at 15.

He's basically a total clown. If you get stopped by police, you're going to get searched and a balaclava is the trappings of a criminal. The fact that he's 26 will make them think he's an actual serious robber, not some stupid kid - and this is how you ruin your life.

Tell me about it. I'm more mature than him at 21. He loves playing the street gangster because he knows at the end of the day he can come home to his comfortable life and have home cooked salmon risotto for dinner & sleep soundly next to his spa ensuite. Frustrates me to no end because I try and appreciate what we have and work to preserve it. He just wants to act the thug. Whatever.
Reply 8
Original post by Trinculo

By the way, when he was an idiot at 15, and I kid you not, he tagged the back of the seat in front of him on the PLANE, not realising he'd obviously be caught. Mind you, at this stage he would wear his underwear, then tracksuit pants around his thighs, then his jeans belted around his knees, so that he had to slowly waddle instead of walk, and literally could not manoeuvre up stairs and was known to catch elevators instead of even attempting stair cases.
Reply 9
And forgot to add - they have to pull down the mask every 30 seconds to vape. Argh!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest