The Student Room Group

Limit of (x^2 - 1)sin(1/(x-1)) as x approaches 1

Can anybody show me how to proceed with this question?

Evaluate limx1((x21)sin(1x1))\text{Evaluate} \ \displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1} \left( \left(x^2 - 1 \right) \sin \left( \frac{1}{x-1} \right) \right)

So far I've noticed that:

limx1(x21)=0\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1} \left(x^2 - 1 \right) = 0

However, I'm unsure of how to proceed with the limit of the sine function.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Khallil
Can anybody show me how to proceed with this question?

Evaluate limx1((x21)sin(1x1))\text{Evaluate} \ \displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1} \left( \left(x^2 - 1 \right) \sin \left( \frac{1}{x-1} \right) \right)

So far I've noticed that:

limx1(x21)=0\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 1} \left(x^2 - 1 \right) = 0

However, I'm unsure of how to proceed with the limit of the sine function.

We have xsin(1/x) -> 0 as x->0 (because it's bounded by |x| in absolute value). Use x^2 - 1 = (x+1)(x-1).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Hodor
We have xsin(1/x) -> 0 as x->0 (because it's bounded by |x| in absolute value). Use x^2 - 1 = (x+1)(x-1).

Posted from TSR Mobile

May I ask how I'm supposed to use the first part? Also I don't understand what's written in your parentheses.
Reply 3
Original post by Khallil
May I ask how I'm supposed to use the first part? Also I don't understand what's written in your parentheses.

Sure.

For what I put in brackets: we have 0 =< |xsin(1/x)| = |x| |sin(1/x)| =< |x| because |sin(u)| =< 1 for every u. So, since |x| -> 0 as x -> 0, we get xsin(1/x) -> 0 too.

Then, by the above, (x-1)sin(1/(x-1)) -> 0 as x -> 1.

Now: (x^2 - 1)sin(1/(x-1)) = (x+1) (x-1)sin(1/(x-1)). Combining the above with the fact that (x+1) is bounded for x near 1, you should be able to get the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
According to what you've written down (all of with which I agree),

limx1 [(x21)sin(1x1)]=limx1 [(x+1)(x1)sin(1x1)]=limx1 (x+1)limx1 [(x1)sin(1x1)]=2×0=0\displaystyle \begin{aligned} \lim_{x \to 1} \ \left[ (x^2 - 1) \sin \left( \frac{1}{x-1} \right) \right] & = \lim_{x \to 1} \ \left[ (x+1) (x-1) \sin \left( \frac{1}{x-1} \right) \right] \\ & = \lim_{x \to 1} \ (x+1) \cdot \lim_{x \to 1} \ \left[ (x-1)\sin \left( \frac{1}{x-1} \right) \right] \\ & = 2 \times 0 = 0 \end{aligned}

Original post by Hodor
Sure.

For what I put in brackets: we have 0 =< |xsin(1/x)| = |x| |sin(1/x)| =< |x| because |sin(u)| =< 1 for every u. So, since |x| -> 0 as x -> 0, we get xsin(1/x) -> 0 too.

Then, by the above, (x-1)sin(1/(x-1)) -> 0 as x -> 1.

Now: (x^2 - 1)sin(1/(x-1)) = (x+1) (x-1)sin(1/(x-1)). Combining the above with the fact that (x+1) is bounded for x near 1, you should be able to get the answer.

Also is this acceptable?

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Khallil

limx1 [(x21)sin(1x1)]=limx1 [(x+1)(x1)sin(1x1)]=limx1 (x+1)limx1 [(x1)sin(1x1)]=2×0=0\displaystyle \begin{aligned} \lim_{x \to 1} \ \left[ (x^2 - 1) \sin \left( \frac{1}{x-1} \right) \right] & = \lim_{x \to 1} \ \left[ (x+1) (x-1) \sin \left( \frac{1}{x-1} \right) \right] \\ & = \lim_{x \to 1} \ (x+1) \cdot \lim_{x \to 1} \ \left[ (x-1)\sin \left( \frac{1}{x-1} \right) \right] \\ & = 2 \times 0 = 0 \end{aligned}

Is this correct?

I made the hand wavey argument that x: 1sin(x)1\forall x: \ -1 \leq \sin(x) \leq 1

Looks good to me!

I think you're fine to assume that |sin(u)| =< 1 when doing this sort of thing, but you can prove it in one line using Pythagoras (for example) if you feel it's needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Khallil

Also is this acceptable?

Yes, I think your other argument is fine. It's pretty much the same thing. I made things more complicated than necessary.

General principle: if f(x) goes to 0 as x goes to c and g(x) is bounded on an open interval containing c, then f(x)g(x) also goes to 0 as x goes to c.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest