The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snagprophet
So is this just one free regeneration the Doctor got sent? Or is it another 12? Nothing was explained at all. Why couldn't Smith talk to them earlier and then use his regeneration powers to remove all enemies deus ex machina style as usual? Why even write this story in this way?

They literally made up, this episode, that David Tennant absorbing his hand in Journey's End counted as a regeneration. I don't understand why they've tried rushing Matt Smith through two regeneration places, why were they so desperate to get Matt Smith to 13th and John Hurt bumping Eccleston to 10th and Tennant to 11th and 12th respectively? Was this meant to sort out what happened when the Doctor went beyond 13? They could've waited a few years until we'd have 13 actors play the Doctor instead of this mess. It's almost as if Moffatt's about to be kicked off the series and he's trying to shove a tonne of **** in before he is.

No idea. Maybe they should write better.

They couldn't even be bothered to come up with a reason for this. Tried infiltrating the town? Yeah that doesn't sound dangerous at all when the guy they're scared of unleashing the Timelords is there. Even when there was a 'battle' there was no real logic to follow because they'd spammed so many cameos and 'enemies'.

I've always known the show will never reveal his real name he went by before An Unearthly Child, which he was called that by a companion he meets in that serial, but what exactly is interesting about a storyline which hypes his 'his name' when it either turns out to be a completely avoided outcome or it just happens to be exactly what he's been called this whole time? You're telling me the answer to 'Doctor who?' is 'The Doctor'? Maybe they should write exciting stories instead of hyping up episodes like 'omg the Doctor's going to die' in series 6 and then 'omg totally avoided lol jk'. So the idea of the episode was the Doctor says his name to the Timelords so they know it's him so they know to come through? Then it turns his the answer they really wanted was 'The Doctor'? And no-one spoke to the crack, in however unspecified years off camera in this ''visual'' medium went by? Wow anyone could've just said it.

Well maybe they shouldn't spam the episode with as many unoriginal enemies as possible to then skip over aspects. They may as well have skipped to the end the moment Clara was first sent back. Maybe they should've written a story they could actually show. The problem with Moffatt's arcs is they seem to be linked through quick pieces of exposition, 'questions', 'answers' etc. I've seen all the episodes and I simply don't remember all the quick snippets of 'information'. Nothing stands out because none of the last series's episodes were interesting. It doesn't help there's a huge gap. Quite frankly, this story should've been able to stand by itself. In fact the story had already started by the time the episode started. Where did he get the head? Why should we care when they start in the middle of something?

Normally I let things fly, I swear to you I am not nickpicking. Half the episode was exposition about stuff and there was no villain or enemy force despite the presence of the daleks. There wasn't a point where anyone was in danger and there was no central enemy to be thwarted. Hell, the dalek ship we see destroyed only appears at the end, it's not even part of the main story yet destroying it seemed to be the the solution to the episode.

I cannot believe they used exposition to write out the other enemies. Pathetic writing.

The Doctor's real name isn't the Doctor I think Clara was trying to imply that The Doctor's name really is The Doctor now because thats what people call him thats who He has become.A name is what someone is called right? then if He isn't called that anymore by hardly anyone bar River then thats not really his name anymore.Forest of the Dead clearly shows that River whispered something different to The Doctor because of The Doctor's reaction and his immediate trust in her for knowing his name.

Spoiler

So is this just one free regeneration the Doctor got sent? Or is it another 12? Nothing was explained at all. Why couldn't Smith talk to them earlier and then use his regeneration powers to remove all enemies deus ex machina style as usual? Why even write this story in this way?

1. Why does everything have to be explained in detail right now? This is fictional entertainment, not a textbook of Doctor Who mythology. I'm sure we'll find out if he's got 13 new regenrations, and I imagine he has.
2. This is not 'deus ex machina'. The resolution to the problem was sitting in the episode all the time - the Time Lords on the other side of the crack. The fact that the focus of the episode ended up as the resolution means this is clearly not 'deus ex machina'. Compare this to the episode where the doctor defeats the master with a rushed plot device at the end of the episode and then resets everything.
3. Matt Smith possibly could have done but either didn't think of it or didn't think it would work. Just like the Doctor in Series 1 could have absorbed the time vortex and defeated the Daleks himself, for example.

They literally made up, this episode, that David Tennant absorbing his hand in Journey's End counted as a regeneration. I don't understand why they've tried rushing Matt Smith through two regeneration places, why were they so desperate to get Matt Smith to 13th and John Hurt bumping Eccleston to 10th and Tennant to 11th and 12th respectively? Was this meant to sort out what happened when the Doctor went beyond 13? They could've waited a few years until we'd have 13 actors play the Doctor instead of this mess. It's almost as if Moffatt's about to be kicked off the series and he's trying to shove a tonne of **** in before he is.

Why wouldn't the doctor's aborted regenration count? He made a whole new Doctor - surely it makes sense that that costs something?

No idea. Maybe they should write better.

This makes no sense. You complain that we've never seen regeneration energy cause damage before, I pointed out that they actually have shown regeneration energy used exactly in this way before...how does that mean the writing is bad?

They couldn't even be bothered to come up with a reason for this. Tried infiltrating the town? Yeah that doesn't sound dangerous at all when the guy they're scared of unleashing the Timelords is there. Even when there was a 'battle' there was no real logic to follow because they'd spammed so many cameos and 'enemies'.

Maybe they wanted to kill him in his sleep before he could say the name? Maybe they thought they could take hostages and hold him to ransom like the Daleks tried in the Church? Who knows? But again, why do they have to spoonfeed you everything? Would it really have been better to have some clunky exposition where we listen to the leader of the Cybermen explain their plans in detail?

I've always known the show will never reveal his real name he went by before An Unearthly Child, which he was called that by a companion he meets in that serial, but what exactly is interesting about a storyline which hypes his 'his name' when it either turns out to be a completely avoided outcome or it just happens to be exactly what he's been called this whole time? You're telling me the answer to 'Doctor who?' is 'The Doctor'? Maybe they should write exciting stories instead of hyping up episodes like 'omg the Doctor's going to die' in series 6 and then 'omg totally avoided lol jk'. So the idea of the episode was the Doctor says his name to the Timelords so they know it's him so they know to come through? Then it turns his the answer they really wanted was 'The Doctor'? And no-one spoke to the crack, in however unspecified years off camera in this ''visual'' medium went by? Wow anyone could've just said it.

Firstly, the Time Lords were probably after his actual name. That was probably not the answer they wanted or expected. His real name was supposed to be a signal that they should come through - and notice that they did not come through. Clara convinced them that the Doctor was there and that he needed their help. It was never implied that any old person saying 'the Doctor' would bring the Time Lords through.

Well maybe they shouldn't spam the episode with as many unoriginal enemies as possible to then skip over aspects. They may as well have skipped to the end the moment Clara was first sent back. Maybe they should've written a story they could actually show. The problem with Moffatt's arcs is they seem to be linked through quick pieces of exposition, 'questions', 'answers' etc. I've seen all the episodes and I simply don't remember all the quick snippets of 'information'. Nothing stands out because none of the last series's episodes were interesting. It doesn't help there's a huge gap. Quite frankly, this story should've been able to stand by itself. In fact the story had already started by the time the episode started. Where did he get the head? Why should we care when they start in the middle of something?

This makes no sense. You have spent a whole post complaining that not every detail is explained. You want to know where he gets the head. You want to know exactly what the TIme Lords were thinking. You want to know exactly what the enemies were planning. You want to know exactly how each enemy was defeated. And then you complain that Moffat's episodes are just a series of pieces of exposition? You've just written an essay complaining about a lack of exposition!

And why does something have to start at the beginning? That's boring. Human Nature, one of the best episodes in Doctor Who, started with the Doctor being a school teacher and Martha being a maid. Sometimes it's good to jump straight into the middle of something.

Overall, your main complaint is that you're not spoonfed everything. But an episode shouldn't have to stop and explain everything we see. The characters have to interpret what they see for themselves, and so the audience should do the same.

But tbh, you're just trying to find reasons to dislike the episode because you've decided that you dislike it. You've said that you liked the 50th anniversary - that episode has all the 'problems' you've mentioned. It has absolutely glaring plotholes (what about any Time Lords who weren't standing on Galifrey or any Daleks that didn't get caught in crossfire?), it has loads of unexplained things (what happened with the Zygons?), it has narration, it jumps straight into the action (John Hurt jumps into the Time War and David Tennant is hunting Zygons), it has incredibly convenient plot devices (David Tennant and John Hurt forget everything whilst Matt Smith doesn't, Matt Smith is about to destroy everyone and then suddenly remembers that he has a fantastic plan), etc. I still love the episode, but if you decide you don't like an episode it's very easy to find stuff like that.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Another 12, that was mentioned at the end. And because Smith didn't intend to regenerate thanks to them - if he talked to them, they'd come back through and the time war would begin anew as they said.

Well I suppose Moffatt's got to do what he does best. It was a pretty anticlimactic way of introducing a new concept, that the Doctor's going to have another 12 regenerations, given that the previous two regenerations were to things that were a main character of a series. John Hurt, one episode and completely made up, and David Tennant's hand energy. Matt Smith went from the 11th to the 13th in the space of three episodes, in from the audience's point of view. That's pretty awful.

Not really, people may not have counted it, but it clearly was a regeneration given he, y'know, regenerated.

Well regeneration was interpreted as completely changing your appearance until they made up on the spot that David Tennant absorbing energy from the hand, seemingly preserved a in regeneration energy state from when it was cut off, was actually the end and start of two of the Doctor's lives. So when 13 Doctor's 'saved' Galifrey in the previous episode, how is Calpaldi '13th' if the 12th was actually Tennant's hand? How can they detect only 13 but not any future ones?

They didn't skip over aspects - they showed bits of each species killing each other: or would you rather a 2/3 hour long episode showing the defeat for every single species involved?

Why did they need all these enemies though? Why did they come up with something that would take hours to depict and then gloss over it through narration? Why didn't they keep it simple and then show us whatever action scenes?

He said where he got the head in the episode...

Wow, that's pretty amazing, it's not like he was important to actually get an introduction or anything.
Original post by MusicIsMyPoison
I don't know what to feel about the episode - it just seemed like any other and I feel bad that Matt didn't really get a proper send off as it wasn't as emotional as all the others have been. I'm really excited for Capaldi though and can't wait to see him in action.
Also the reverberations thing kinda pissed me off cos in 'The Impossible Astronaut' 11 begins regenerating - so he can regenerate and he also uses regeneration energy in "The Angels Take Manhattan" to mend River, so I thought he still had some energy left.

MusicIsMyPoison

It was probably the most emotional episode of Doctor Who that has ever been done maybe thats why people didn't like it because although there was a fantastic and exciting plot the fact that the emotional drama was the centrepiece.
Original post by paddyman4
This makes no sense. You have spent a whole post complaining that not every detail is explained. You want to know where he gets the head. You want to know exactly what the TIme Lords were thinking. You want to know exactly what the enemies were planning. You want to know exactly how each enemy was defeated. And then you complain that Moffat's episodes are just a series of pieces of exposition? You've just written an essay complaining about a lack of exposition!

They could've had him rip off a Cyberman's head when he was on their ship. Maybe I would've excepted that rather than him just having stuff. The thing about Human Nature was it was explained how they got into the mess and the pacing kept up the mystery. There's so many important things in this episode they rush through. There was no mystery as to who 'Handles' is, why he's randomly not speaking like any other established cyberman of the series or anything.

It all seems to be 'here's something I did earlier' rather than actually set it all up. They shoehorn in what should be a spectacle like loads of CG ships and then don't do anything with them.

You want to know exactly how each enemy was defeated.

Well what purpose do they serve to be in the episode? They could've written in anything they wanted, it could've been just Daleks and Silence, which is how it basically turned out to be. The narrator just says 'they were defeated' but they didn't actually do anything. It's like they think shoving every possible enemy into the episode will make it good when it doesn't. I hated it when they did it in The Pandorica Opens and I hate it now, it completely oversimplifies the series to have every enemy vs The Doctor and their presence seems completely pointless.

Then near the end the Silence are apparently the good guys now, I don't know what the ****.
Well I suppose Moffatt's got to do what he does best. It was a pretty anticlimactic way of introducing a new concept, that the Doctor's going to have another 12 regenerations, given that the previous two regenerations were to things that were a main character of a series. John Hurt, one episode and completely made up, and David Tennant's hand energy. Matt Smith went from the 11th to the 13th in the space of three episodes, in from the audience's point of view. That's pretty awful.

He'd always been the twelfth timelord we'd seen to call himself doctor (we'd seen 10 regenerations, and a change to McGann to Ecclestone that was inferred) - adding in a face that ended the time war isn't exactly rewriting canon: it was never mentioned how he ended it, or which face he had when he ended it.

Well regeneration was interpreted as completely changing your appearance until they made up on the spot that David Tennant absorbing energy from the hand, seemingly preserved a in regeneration energy state from when it was cut off, was actually the end and start of two of the Doctor's lives. So when 13 Doctor's 'saved' Galifrey in the previous episode, how is Calpaldi '13th' if the 12th was actually Tennant's hand? How can they detect only 13 but not any future ones?

That's how it had worked, but all that was ever said of regeneration was that, when fatally wounded, a time-lord could essentially cheat death by using the regeneration energy to create a replacement version of themselves, rather than dying like your bog-standard life-form. So - in Journey's end: Was Tennant fatally wounded? Yes. Did he use regeneration energy to stay alive? Yes. That he didn't change face was only because he copied the DNA of that hand to keep that face. I fail to see why it shouldn't have been considered a regeneration, when, to all extents and purposes - it was.

No, the hand wasn't preserved in a regeneration state - it had the DNA of Tennant's doctor in it, so he could copy that DNA into his new face and so keep the same face.

Because there've been 13 different doctors (including Capaldi) - Tennant regenerated into himself in essence: So there was Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, Baker, Davidson, Baker, McCoy, McGann, Hurt, Ecclestone, Tennant & Smith flying their TARDIS's in the method to shift Gallifrey into a pocket universe. Capaldi is the result of the 13th regeneration and is the 14th life of the Doctor, but he's the 13th different face the doctor has had.

Why did they need all these enemies though? Why did they come up with something that would take hours to depict and then gloss over it through narration? Why didn't they keep it simple and then show us whatever action scenes?

Would you prefer a complicated explanation of why only a couple of enemies came when everyone could hear the message?

Wow, that's pretty amazing, it's not like he was important to actually get an introduction or anything.

What? It's a little bit of kit he's bought from a market, does it really need a full introduction? Perhaps they should give an introduction to every new button on the TARDIS console as well :rolleyes:
Then near the end the Silence are apparently the good guys now, I don't know what the ****.

You ignored everything else I said, so I assume you agree.

It was explained that the SIlence who tried to kill the Doctor belonged to one faction of the Church.

Is it that ridiculous for members of a race to have differing goals and opinions. I mean, humans don't all think alike - they fight each other, they have different beliefs and goals and methods. Does it make sense for every other race to act as a single, unified entity? No. I think it's interesting to have the reverse. Just like there are good and bad Silurians and good and bad Sontaran.
I just watched the regeneration back and Capaldi's stare at Clara was just fantastic and hilarious. I hated Tennant's introduction and grew to love him, I hated Smith's and never warmed to him at all so I don't think the first scene is that best indicator of how his character will pan out. But I genuinely look forward to the next series of Doctor Who which isn't something I've been able to say for a while.

To those criticising the episode - and I'm one of them to an extent, it was far from perfect - it was definitely better than most Christmas episodes. Better than the awful Christmas Carol and Doctor, Window & Wardrobe episodes in particular. 'The Next Doctor' was my favourite but that's just because David Morrisey is in it.

It still annoys me that Smith didn't actually die properly though!

Original post by AlphaNick
I really miss the Eccleston days, I recently re-watched all of series 1 - and the episodes are literally so much better. He was the best Doctor in my opinion.

This needs to be said a lot more. Hopefully Capaldi will be more like number 9.
Original post by St. Brynjar
I just watched the regeneration back and Capaldi's stare at Clara was just fantastic and hilarious. I hated Tennant's introduction and grew to love him, I hated Smith's and never warmed to him at all so I don't think the first scene is that best indicator of how his character will pan out. But I genuinely look forward to the next series of Doctor Who which isn't something I've been able to say for a while.

To those criticising the episode - and I'm one of them to an extent, it was far from perfect - it was definitely better than most Christmas episodes. Better than the awful Christmas Carol and Doctor, Window & Wardrobe episodes in particular. 'The Next Doctor' was my favourite but that's just because David Morrisey is in it.

It still annoys me that Smith didn't actually die properly though!

This needs to be said a lot more. Hopefully Capaldi will be more like number 9.

Ah you're a fellow Morrisey lover? After the Walking Dead, I think he's crying talented.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cheese_Monster
Ah you're a fellow Morrisey lover? After the Walking Dead, I think he's crying talented.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love all things Morrisey. Unless we're talking The Smiths!

Watch 'The Deal' - Morro plays Gordon Brown against my other favourite actor, Michael Sheen, playing Tony Blair. It's fantastic.
David Tennant's lines in his first episode are the cringiest, most embarrassing part of all the new Doctor Who. He grew into the role and was great, but if anyone thinks the transition to him was effortless they are deluded.

I'm not saying it was effortless - I'm sure it took plenty of effort! But I actually think Tennant's first few lines showed me exactly the Doctor he turned out to be. If they were cringey, then I didn't mind.

I'd appreciate not being called deluded for difference of opinion.

The kidney joke is the writing...you can't really blame Capaldi.

It could have been funny. It was Capaldi's lacklustre delivery of it that I didn't like.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3011
With the Time of the Doctor I will admit it wasn't my favorite episode. Though not for any canon issues or all that, I just found it quiet sad that in Matt's last episode around 15 minutes of it was taken up by the damn speech bits from that woman. I will admit Matt isn't my fav doctor. But I have always seen him as the Doctor plagued by bad writing. So rarely did he have a episode that was written in a way that allowed him to show his acting ability. To me Matt is the master of those one on one moments with characters and just showing passion in his characters. Evidence why I love his Rings of Akhaten speech which was just beautiful.

I just wish he could have been given a better send of. The episode was grand in scale yes and very showy off in nature. But I have always thought a much better send off would have just been a really well written episode where he got to show off the very nature of Matt's Doctor.

Oh well though it will be sad to see him go but I am looking forward to Peter :smile:

Though in other news I just ordered a sonic screwdriver universal remote :woo:
Original post by Rascacielos
I'm not saying it was effortless - I'm sure it took plenty of effort! But I actually think Tennant's first few lines showed me exactly the Doctor he turned out to be. If they were cringey, then I didn't mind.

I'd appreciate not being called deluded for difference of opinion.

It could have been funny. It was Capaldi's lacklustre delivery of it that I didn't like.

So this is basically Tennant's first scene:

1. It is the worst scene in new Doctor Who. It is just SO embarrassing. From *FIGHTING HAND* to the even cringier and much cheesier *no second chances*.

2, It didn't show you the kind of doctor he turned out to be. In this scene he is violent - he sword fights (albeit with incredibly, incredibly lazy sword-fighting choreography).. When is he ever violent again? He never fights again! And in this scene he kills a man without even hesitating, and without the slightest hint of regret. That, again, is the exact opposite of how his character turned out.

The kidney joke could not have been funny, it was a badly written joke,
I didn't know the kidney thing was supposed to be a joke ...

1. It is the worst scene in new Doctor Who. It is just SO embarrassing. From *FIGHTING HAND* to the even cringier and much cheesier *no second chances*.

2, It didn't show you the kind of doctor he turned out to be. In this scene he is violent - he sword fights (albeit with incredibly, incredibly lazy sword-fighting choreography).. When is he ever violent again? He never fights again! And in this scene he kills a man without even hesitating, and without the slightest hint of regret. That, again, is the exact opposite of how his character turned out.

Tbh I still think it isn't as bad as you're making it out to be... remember he just regenerated so he really may of not known what kind of man he is and what kind of man he would become. Remember in the Waters of Mars we saw a similar side to the Doctor and how his more violent forceful side ''Timelord Victorious'' led to Adelaide's death
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JWH
With the Time of the Doctor I will admit it wasn't my favorite episode. Though not for any canon issues or all that, I just found it quiet sad that in Matt's last episode around 15 minutes of it was taken up by the damn speech bits from that woman. I will admit Matt isn't my fav doctor. But I have always seen him as the Doctor plagued by bad writing. So rarely did he have a episode that was written in a way that allowed him to show his acting ability. To me Matt is the master of those one on one moments with characters and just showing passion in his characters. Evidence why I love his Rings of Akhaten speech which was just beautiful.

I just wish he could have been given a better send of. The episode was grand in scale yes and very showy off in nature. But I have always thought a much better send off would have just been a really well written episode where he got to show off the very nature of Matt's Doctor.

Oh well though it will be sad to see him go but I am looking forward to Peter :smile:

Though in other news I just ordered a sonic screwdriver universal remote :woo:

I agree with these points, it somehow didn't seem to quite get to the heart of what Matt could offer the part and it didn't really review his achievements properly as a Doctor. To be honest, it felt rushed a lot of the time. I really feel that they should take a long, hard look at how they script the show now and stop trying to fill every episode to the brim with (often confusing or downright wrong) plot details and instead focus on character and a more gentle, interesting story development.

Peter's walk-on was amusing but not, I have to say, all that attention-grabbing other than on the level of "oh, he's arrived at last!" - he has a long way to go yet, but I'm willing to give him the benefit. I just hope he can get out from under Moffat's confusions frankly.
Reply 3016

I think that as bad as the "fighting hand" part is, you see the main part of Tennant's Doctor. When someone gives him their word, he expects them to stick by it, hence the "no second chances". He gives people his word and sticks by it, but doesn't take well to those who backtrack on their word. That's why he was merciless when it came to killing him with no regret, although I think that was just to show the extremity of what would happen if you did go up against him. Which is why you don't see much of it throughout his time.

The kidney joke was really bad. His facial expression reminded me of Tennant and I wasn't really that impressed. But then again, I felt the same with Smith with the fish fingers and custard (which isn't that bad) and how it was over the top, and was probably why it look me his entire time as the Doctor to actually like him. I didn't feel the pain of his regeneration until Amy came and said those three words, whereas with Tennant, I was bawling my eyes out. I still do, I can't watch his regeneration without crying.:colondollar:

First scene?! It was about his 20th. The Barcelona scene with Rose in the Tardis was his first scene for the purposes of comparison with Capaldi's first scene.

In any event, "no second chances" was one of the key themes of Tennant's Doctor, so I'm not sure what you're on about.
Reply 3018
Original post by Rascacielos
First scene?! It was about his 20th. The Barcelona scene with Rose in the Tardis was his first scene for the purposes of comparison with Capaldi's first scene.

In any event, "no second chances" was one of the key themes of Tennant's Doctor, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

:giggle:

The you mean the Barcelona scene which made everyone complain that Tennant was trying to be too much like Ecclestone...
Original post by Aula
:giggle:

The you mean the Barcelona scene which made everyone complain that Tennant was trying to be too much like Ecclestone...

Yes, that one.

I think that was probably the writing more than anything else.

Quick Reply

Latest