The Student Room Group

How does stabilising a molecule make it more soluble?

I know this may be quite simple :colondollar:,
but when something is oxidised, for instance vitamin C or Iron, how does this make it more soluble?
I have read that when iron or vitamin C is stabilised (i.e. oxidised) this means that it becomes more soluble and therefore can be absorbed easier into the body?
Thanks in advance for any help! :rolleyes:
I'm guessing once it's oxidised it's charged and so polar so water as a polar molecule will surround the molecules and it'll dissolve.

I'll let below poster continue :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AMELIA-x
I know this may be quite simple :colondollar:,
but when something is oxidised, for instance vitamin C or Iron, how does this make it more soluble?
I have read that when iron or vitamin C is stabilised (i.e. oxidised) this means that it becomes more soluble and therefore can be absorbed easier into the body?
Thanks in advance for any help! :rolleyes:

Eh, oxidised and stabilised aren't the same thing. Neither does oxidation = better solubility.

Something will be more WATER soluble (really does depend upon solvent) if it is more polar. In this case oxidation of Vit C must make it more polar, probably by oxidising one of the OH groups to a COOH.
Reply 3
Original post by JMaydom
Eh, oxidised and stabilised aren't the same thing. Neither does oxidation = better solubility.

Something will be more WATER soluble (really does depend upon solvent) if it is more polar. In this case oxidation of Vit C must make it more polar, probably by oxidising one of the OH groups to a COOH.

I think I'm just confusing myself i'll show you the context :smile:

Ascorbic acid has a number of vital physiological functions. It acts as a cellular anti-oxidant, inhibiting the oxidisation of a substrate even at low concentrations compared to the substrate. It donates or receives extra electrons to stabilise another molecule, like iron, making it more soluble (How does stabilising make it more soluble?) so that it can be absorbed
The bit in red is where it has been marked and commented on, but I don't get it haha :smile:
Original post by AMELIA-x
I think I'm just confusing myself i'll show you the context :smile:

Ascorbic acid has a number of vital physiological functions. It acts as a cellular anti-oxidant, inhibiting the oxidisation of a substrate even at low concentrations compared to the substrate. It donates or receives extra electrons to stabilise another molecule, like iron, making it more soluble (How does stabilising make it more soluble?) so that it can be absorbed
The bit in red is where it has been marked and commented on, but I don't get it haha :smile:

Ergh, this is where my lack of biological chemistry comes to bite me.
I don't know the biological method for the uptake of iron but it probably involves the coordination of a biological multidentate ligand/s. This isn't an oxidation process.
Now (maybe go look up how iron is actually absorbed) if the body oxidises or reduces Fe from Fe(II) to Fe(III) or visa versa then maybe you could argue that this is a stabilisation.

Quick Reply

Latest