The Student Room Group

AQA Music A Level

Hi Guys,
Is anyone else studying AQA Music A Level, if so, thoughts on it, any advice about the A2 Course???
Reply 1
I'm doing the Aqa music A2 course too. I'm pleased the exam is quite late!! I'm studying the Shostakovich and Chamber Music. I'm a bit worried about the composition (I've been doing Bach Chorale and string Quartet). Anyone got any ideas on what sort of essay titles might come up?
I'm doing the AS Level, sorry, didn't make it clear haha.
I just wanted to know what the A2 is like, as the AS wasn't what I thought it would be.
Any advice on AS Revision??? Exam is Monday, and I'm worried.

What instruments do you play???
What else are you studying, as I've found no1 who has similar choices to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ProudGeekLoveIt
I'm doing the AS Level, sorry, didn't make it clear haha.
I just wanted to know what the A2 is like, as the AS wasn't what I thought it would be.
Any advice on AS Revision??? Exam is Monday, and I'm worried.

What instruments do you play???
What else are you studying, as I've found no1 who has similar choices to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see! Well I have found A2 more satisfying in that you study a whole symphony (for us it is Shostakovich 5 or Elgar 1) although it has made me think how lucky we were at AS with how limited the questions could be. I have definitely enjoyed doing the Chamber Music question (it feels much like the historical study question you do at AS except I actually LIKE chamber music so its more interesting!).

In terms of AS revision, I wouldn't worry too much. I did mine pretty much last minute so that it all stayed in my head! My teacher advises making mind maps about say 'interesting textures' and then going through your symphony or all your other works for the other question (I did the Baroque music) and finding them. Definitely gets you thinking which is really all you need to do. Personally, I find making up any possible essays (particularly the ones you really really don't want to come up!) and not even worrying about how long it takes you - just make it the perfect essay you could write in 45 mins if you were lucky enough for the question to come up.
For the listening, I found it really helpful to go ahead and look at the question where they give you the score and most of the questions don't need the tape cos the tape is so slow and there are loads of gaps.
Don't forget that the exam is only 30% anyway. Your performance and composition make up 70% and also, the essays aren't even that much of it (the listening is more of the marks).

Just be calm and you'll be fine! I thought my music exam was pretty bad really.. I didn't know things in the listening but guessed, and although I hadn't actually written the essays that came up, I actually did really well!

That's such a long answer, sorry! Lot of waffle...but I hope it helps a bit!
Original post by Emma3131
Oh I see! Well I have found A2 more satisfying in that you study a whole symphony (for us it is Shostakovich 5 or Elgar 1) although it has made me think how lucky we were at AS with how limited the questions could be. I have definitely enjoyed doing the Chamber Music question (it feels much like the historical study question you do at AS except I actually LIKE chamber music so its more interesting!).

In terms of AS revision, I wouldn't worry too much. I did mine pretty much last minute so that it all stayed in my head! My teacher advises making mind maps about say 'interesting textures' and then going through your symphony or all your other works for the other question (I did the Baroque music) and finding them. Definitely gets you thinking which is really all you need to do. Personally, I find making up any possible essays (particularly the ones you really really don't want to come up!) and not even worrying about how long it takes you - just make it the perfect essay you could write in 45 mins if you were lucky enough for the question to come up.
For the listening, I found it really helpful to go ahead and look at the question where they give you the score and most of the questions don't need the tape cos the tape is so slow and there are loads of gaps.
Don't forget that the exam is only 30% anyway. Your performance and composition make up 70% and also, the essays aren't even that much of it (the listening is more of the marks).

Just be calm and you'll be fine! I thought my music exam was pretty bad really.. I didn't know things in the listening but guessed, and although I hadn't actually written the essays that came up, I actually did really well!

That's such a long answer, sorry! Lot of waffle...but I hope it helps a bit!

Thanks, that's really helpful xx

Quick Reply

Latest