The Student Room Group

GCSE Advice

I've applied for a music GCSE, but I don't think I'm even close to qualified. I'm grade 1/2 in piano, and that's it. I can't read sheet either.
It's too late to change it, but have I made the greatest mistake of my life, and should I ask to change it anyway?
Reply 1
If you're in year 9 and you know you wont be able to do well then just change it, just get a grade in something you know you will be happy with.
Reply 2
Original post by wanttosleep445
I've applied for a music GCSE, but I don't think I'm even close to qualified. I'm grade 1/2 in piano, and that's it. I can't read sheet either.
It's too late to change it, but have I made the greatest mistake of my life, and should I ask to change it anyway?

Hey there! I think GCSE music will be a struggle without being able to read music. You can still pass I believe but for performance, you need a Grade 5 level to get the highest grade possible.

I know a few people who can only sing and can't read and know nothing about music theory and they are managing to scrape a 5/6 which isn't too bad. It depends on what you are aiming for and if you will have a good teacher to guide you through :smile:

You should be able to change your choice if you haven't yet started so I would advise talking to your school about it if you wouldn't be happy with a 5/6 grade in GCSE music. Also, AQA is the easiest and this is the one I am referring to so also check which exam board you would be taking.

I hope you continue to enjoy music even if you don't take it as a GCSE! Keep it as a hobby maybe :biggrin:

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest