The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE PE

Thoughts? 2 six markers again, like Biology, forgot abduction/adduction at the shoulder and that weight bearing activities increase bone strength. Probably also dropped marks on how to reduce blood pressure; only said diet and exercise instead of explaining; 2/4?! Other than that, it wasn't too bad! If anyone wants to compare answers then feel free. Hope they give me a mark for anabolic steroids and heart attacks; not on the spec. but true all the same! Give it a Google, examiner :P!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It wasn't too bad, though, I thought that the six mark questions were quite vague, and its hard to know what the mark scheme is specifically looking for ):
Ouch, I wrote weight bearing exercises for the 1 marker, at least I know I've got something correct. Meh... I put exercise regularly and eat a balanced diet to reduce blood pressure as it prevents a build up of low density lipoprotein. I'm pretty certain I got the flexion and extension 4 marker at the knee and elbow right, I gave examples of bicep curl, tricep dip for elbow and then walking and cycling for quadriceps and hamstrings. I think I've done pretty decent, was a bit harder than last years though.
I didn't really know what to write in the 6 mark questions, it took me ages to figure out what to! The rest of the paper was ok, didn't like the blood pressure question haha
Reply 4
for the 6 mark questions what were you supposed to write about?
Original post by ffionsn
for the 6 mark questions what were you supposed to write about?

For the first one I wrote about specificity, progressive overload, rest and recovery, reversibility, individual differences along with frequency, intensity, time type.

for the second one I wrote about why they would be used I.e. Define muscles, increase muscle mass for power, increased myoglobin storage so less oxygen needed to payback for oxygen debt, health risks e.g. Testicular atrophy, why they take them e.g. Pressure and wanting to exceed personal best.
The first one was about training principles so Specificity, Progressive overload, rest and recovery, Individual needs and Reversibility giving examples of each and explaining them. The second 6 marker involved naming athletic sports such as 100m, Discus or shot put and highlighting the effects of steroids and advantages athletes would get from them
Whats 42/50 in practical in terms of grade and what would I need to get an A overall in the exam. I reckon I got 65/80 today for sure! Hopefully thats an A overall, someone help?
Reply 8
Original post by Sacred Ground
For the first one I wrote about specificity, progressive overload, rest and recovery, reversibility, individual differences along with frequency, intensity, time type.

for the second one I wrote about why they would be used I.e. Define muscles, increase muscle mass for power, increased myoglobin storage so less oxygen needed to payback for oxygen debt, health risks e.g. Testicular atrophy, why they take them e.g. Pressure and wanting to exceed personal best.

Ahh okay that's good, I mentioned which specific events people take them for like sprinters, for the shot put and javelin,and mentioned the harmful side effects and the fact that it's illegal etc. I didn't go into that much detail about how it helps the performers, just about how it increases strength and power and how that's needed in each event- do you think I'll be marked down heavily for not going into that much detail?
What did people do for the sporting example of flexion and extension at the shoulder? I put rowing, is that right? Thinking about I should have put javelin...
Reply 10
I put a golf swing, rowing sounds right as well and another people used was tennis serve...
Reply 11
what were those last two six markers about?! found them pretty tough!
Original post by theone2498
Whats 42/50 in practical in terms of grade and what would I need to get an A overall in the exam. I reckon I got 65/80 today for sure! Hopefully thats an A overall, someone help?

I got the same practical score! 84% so that's an A. In order to get an A* then, today the minimum I had to get is 90% which is no more than 8 marks lost so 72/80! Boundaries are a bit high:/ I'm secretly hoping that our teacher has tricked us, telling us that we need to get higher then we actually think to, to get A*
Original post by Tasha2828
I got the same practical score! 84% so that's an A. In order to get an A* then, today the minimum I had to get is 90% which is no more than 8 marks lost so 72/80! Boundaries are a bit high:/ I'm secretly hoping that our teacher has tricked us, telling us that we need to get higher then we actually think to, to get A*

Lol i needed 97% for an a* quite impossible but needed 71% for an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
You dont need that percentage lol it would be UMS u need as I got 48/50 in practical which was 120 UMS out of 120 and only needed 40 UMS which is a D in the exam to get an A overall or 60UMS out of 80 which is a mid B for an A*
Original post by sdfht
You dont need that percentage lol it would be UMS u need as I got 48/50 in practical which was 120 UMS out of 120 and only needed 40 UMS which is a D in the exam to get an A overall or 60UMS out of 80 which is a mid B for an A*

Oh my school told me that i got 51% out of 60% for practical, which makes no sense cos you cant have a percentage out of a percentage but hey ho, its stereotypical that pe teachers are dumb

Posted from TSR Mobile
LOL , you do 60/50 =1.2 times the mark out of 50 for example 48 =57.6
When you get test scores dont you get a percentage sometimes ? eg you got 80% right thats 80% out of 100%
DONT CALL PEOPLE DUMB
Original post by ibby12345
LOL , you do 60/50 =1.2 times the mark out of 50 for example 48 =57.6
When you get test scores dont you get a percentage sometimes ? eg you got 80% right thats 80% out of 100%
DONT CALL PEOPLE DUMB

Alright calm down gees lol it doesnt really makes sense that you get 51% out of 60% does it? No not really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ben4
Alright calm down gees lol it doesnt really makes sense that you get 51% out of 60% does it? No not really

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, out of 100% of your grade, the practical is 60% but you only achieved 51% so therefore you missed out on 9% of your final grade in your practical
Original post by Quinners7
Yes, out of 100% of your grade, the practical is 60% but you only achieved 51% so therefore you missed out on 9% of your final grade in your practical

Yeah but would have been easier to say the raw mark but teachers had to be difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest