The Student Room Group

Aiming for grade 9s need help

My subjects:
maths - edexcel
ocr fsmq
english lit+lang - aqa
Triple science - aqa
History- edexcel- anglo saxon and norman england, weimar nazi gemany, superpower relations andccold war, migrants in britain
french - aqa
pe-aqa

Please help with these subjects any resources exemplers you got and subject by subject breakdown thanks
Original post by Mohib.M
My subjects:
maths - edexcel
ocr fsmq
english lit+lang - aqa
Triple science - aqa
History- edexcel- anglo saxon and norman england, weimar nazi gemany, superpower relations andccold war, migrants in britain
french - aqa
pe-aqa

Please help with these subjects any resources exemplers you got and subject by subject breakdown thanks

Maths
I did aqa but maths is maths so its not really any different.... I recommend using Corbett maths and 'onmaths' does these predicted papers that are quite good. I didn't really revise for maths because I found it quite easy but that's what I used at the start of year 10.

English lit + lang
I did edexcel but you can honestly just waffle... I didn't annotate any of my books or do any practice papers and I got 9's in both. Just memorise some key quotes and just pick them apart completely even if its the faintest link to one of the themes of the book.... as long as you explain it you'll be fine.

Science
I did aqa as well - I just memorised the CGP revision guides and that got me 9s in all 3, but be warned..... the biology paper has a lot more maths in it than you think! just do the physics and maths tutor questions and make sure you understand all of the practicals.

History
I did OCR - we did a topic on migration to Britain (1250-present) and I have some 9 markers on that topic that I got full marks on if you want (I don't know if it will be about the same migrant groups but it could be useful to look at the structure maybe?) One thing with history is that it is definitely not about quantity.... I used to waffle loads in my answers and was never really clear with what I was saying as I just shoved in every date and piece of info I could remember. You need to use the SECOND ORDER CONCEPTS and keep it simple. Make a point then explain why it was significant, or the impact of it, or how it differs from something else etc....

French
I did aqa as well - I just wanted to say that no matter how badly you think you did on the paper I guarantee you, you will still get a good grade unless you literally wrote nothing. I didn't even know how to conjugate verbs properly until about 3 weeks before the exam. One thing I did that enable me to get a grade 8 was memorising the answers for the speaking (I was awful at it in my mock so I thought the best way forwards was to just memorise), not only could I use this in speaking, I also used it in my writing as I had high quality paragraphs with complex sentence structures memorised. At the end of the day just memorise some sentence starters, a few fancy vocabulary words, and LEARN HOW TO CONJUGATE VERBS BY HEART as it will save you a lot of last minute panic
I did Edexcel rather than the OCR version is more popular but is very similar honestly is a copycat curriculum however the exam structure is different meaning their 4,12,16 markers are different for the thematic study.

For French I used Duolingo during the holidays leading up to starting my GCSEs which helped me so much to revise on the foundation however it teaches me to learn the language and not to pass the GCSE so it isn't the most relevant to the exam board or exam itself.

Quick Reply

Latest