The Student Room Group

Work Experience

Hi guys!
It's the end of year 10 and my school have just given us the task of finding work experience during the summer. We don't have to hand in all the forms till December this year and the actual week doesn't happen till summer of next year but I want to get a head start.

My teachers said to aim high and relate it to my future work interests, that's what i want to do, but the problem is- i have no clue what i want to do when i'm older.

Even though many of you will tell me that i don't need to worry about it for a long time yet, i want to know because i like having aims and a future in my mind. My brother for example is doing a degree in engineering , he's going to graduate by the time he's 23/24- i want to graduate and a get a job early on as well.

I know this sounds stupid and perhaps i'm looking too far ahead but how did you decide what career you wanted to do once you left school? What factors helped you decide?

I think i'd like to do a vocational degree when i'm older so i'm more likely to get a job by the end of it...

Anyway sorry for the ultra long post but i'd really appreciate your thoughts- do you think i'm thinking too far ahead? Should I be thinking about job prospects? Both my older siblings knew what they wanted to do at my age and are well into meeting their aspirations....

Thank you if you managed to read all that, I have a habit of rambling a bit....
Reply 1
Original post by bothersome
Hi guys!
It's the end of year 10 and my school have just given us the task of finding work experience during the summer. We don't have to hand in all the forms till December this year and the actual week doesn't happen till summer of next year but I want to get a head start.

My teachers said to aim high and relate it to my future work interests, that's what i want to do, but the problem is- i have no clue what i want to do when i'm older.

Even though many of you will tell me that i don't need to worry about it for a long time yet, i want to know because i like having aims and a future in my mind. My brother for example is doing a degree in engineering , he's going to graduate by the time he's 23/24- i want to graduate and a get a job early on as well.

I know this sounds stupid and perhaps i'm looking too far ahead but how did you decide what career you wanted to do once you left school? What factors helped you decide?

I think i'd like to do a vocational degree when i'm older so i'm more likely to get a job by the end of it...

Anyway sorry for the ultra long post but i'd really appreciate your thoughts- do you think i'm thinking too far ahead? Should I be thinking about job prospects? Both my older siblings knew what they wanted to do at my age and are well into meeting their aspirations....

Of course you aren't, it's important to think about the future, because you need a good idea of your plans :smile:

If you're struggling with thinking of what you might want to do, maybe simplify it by working out what your favourite subjects at GCSE are and why - it'll help you narrow down your choices :yep:

What subjects do you enjoy the most and why?
What are your hobbies and interests?

:smile:
I changed my choices so many times in Year 10 and 11. :tongue: I intentionally wanted to be an architect so did my work experience at an architects, but now I want to be nothing of the sort. This was only about a year ago so yeah. :dontknow:

I suggest doing the placement at somewhere respectable so the work experience has it's worth, don't worry to much about it being related to what you want to do in the future because there's nothing stopping you doing more work experience later on if you want to. Try thinking about your favourite subject at school though and get a field related to that. E.g. if you like Science at a hospital.

Some more generic ones which loads of people chose were secretarial work, shop management, primary school, law offices. Try to avoid jobs where you 'stack shelves' as much as you can like the local Tescos.
When do you look for work experience, its good to do in an area you're considering,
I know my friend did hers in a charity place and she loved it, its good work experience to have for pretty much anything you'll ever apply for because it shows what kind of a person you are,
If you're looking at a more vocational degree you might want to try something hands on, I don't think retail is all that good, but some of my friends got offered jobs after their work exp,
Look online and see what companies are willing to accept you and don't give up if you get rejected, most companies don't take on younger kids due to confidentiality or they don't have the means to keep you on

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did my year 10 work experience at an after school club because it was only 3 hours a day :lol:.. winning!

Although the experience did assist me in getting my previous job.
Reply 5
It is good to do work experience in the field you're interested in but if you're not sure yet, don't worry about it. I did my work experience in Pets at Home and that was enough to put me off retail work :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by yellowcopter
I changed my choices so many times in Year 10 and 11. :tongue: I intentionally wanted to be an architect so did my work experience at an architects, but now I want to be nothing of the sort. This was only about a year ago so yeah. :dontknow:

I suggest doing the placement at somewhere respectable so the work experience has it's worth, don't worry to much about it being related to what you want to do in the future because there's nothing stopping you doing more work experience later on if you want to. Try thinking about your favourite subject at school though and get a field related to that. E.g. if you like Science at a hospital.

Some more generic ones which loads of people chose were secretarial work, shop management, primary school, law offices. Try to avoid jobs where you 'stack shelves' as much as you can like the local Tescos.

How did you get work experience at an architects? And why don't you want to do it anymore?
Thanks for your reply :smile:
Hi guys!

If you don't know what you want to be, then think of the subjects you may pursue, or at least what you enjoy the most. For example, I know someone older than me who loved French and also Science, so they went to work in a chemist in France for their work experience. Even though that wasn't what they wanted to do, it gave them experience in their chosen field.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did you get work experience at an architects? And why don't you want to do it anymore?
Thanks for your reply :smile:

I emailed all the ones I could find in central London and then luckily one of them replied. If you live in London and would like to know the name of the one I went to so you can get work experience there, I'd be happy to tell you their name and contact details via PM. Just tell me if you want their info. :smile:

I'm just no longer interested in Art anymore. I used to be but it was short lived. :tongue: I'm more into computing and programming now.
Reply 9
I emailed all the ones I could find in central London and then luckily one of them replied. If you live in London and would like to know the name of the one I went to so you can get work experience there, I'd be happy to tell you their name and contact details via PM. Just tell me if you want their info. :smile:

I'm just no longer interested in Art anymore. I used to be but it was short lived. :tongue: I'm more into computing and programming now.

Oh that's cool- i might consider emailing people where i live (which is unfortunately not in London) but thanks for the offer :smile:

Good luck with your aspirations :smile:
Reply 10

Can you explain to me what sort of thing you wrote in your email and what did you do in your work experience. Were you simply shadowing the architect or something else?
Can you explain to me what sort of thing you wrote in your email and what did you do in your work experience. Were you simply shadowing the architect or something else?

At the place I did it at they gave us an architectural project (had to create a pavilion which is like a shade/cover) and then we had to draw mocks up of the pavilion, create a model on a computer, create a physical model out of foam board and then we had to present it to 2/3 people. It was just a small and short project since the work experience was only for a week, and it was a lot of fun.

Some places might ask you to shadow instead, but for where I did it, it was all independent though when I was confused/didn't know how to do something I would ask and they'd help out. :smile:

I sent you a PM of the email I sent to the place I did my work experience at.

Quick Reply

Latest