The Student Room Group

What is it like to work as a Diagnostic Radiographer (or learn radiography at uni)?

What are the pros and cons of this career?
Trying to arrange some work experience or shadowing with a radiographer would probably be the best way to answer this. It's also necessary normally for applying to health professions courses like radiography anyway!
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Trying to arrange some work experience or shadowing with a radiographer would probably be the best way to answer this. It's also necessary normally for applying to health professions courses like radiography anyway!

I did try to arrange work experience however I never received a reply. Not everyone has access to work experience and I want to find different ways to understand the course. I'm writing my personal statement and I want to know what current or past Radiography students find good and bad about the career and course.
Original post by Sanji.m
I did try to arrange work experience however I never received a reply. Not everyone has access to work experience and I want to find different ways to understand the course. I'm writing my personal statement and I want to know what current or past Radiography students find good and bad about the career and course.

I think the issue is that most healthcare professions courses including radiography normally require work experience? Granted it need not be shadowing a radiographer but it's possible through work experience in a hospital you may develop the opportunity to network with radiographers. Also there is probably some element of persistence to getting work experience - you may need to contact a lot of places to find the opportunities!

Also even if it's not formally required, you may having work experience helps in the interview, as usually healthcare professions courses will also interview applicants.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
I think the issue is that most healthcare professions courses including radiography normally require work experience? Granted it need not be shadowing a radiographer but it's possible through work experience in a hospital you may develop the opportunity to network with radiographers. Also there is probably some element of persistence to getting work experience - you may need to contact a lot of places to find the opportunities!

Also even if it's not formally required, you may having work experience helps in the interview, as usually healthcare professions courses will also interview applicants.

Does volunteering at my local hospital count? Although I don't necessarily talk to any Radiographers I still get patient contact?
Original post by Sanji.m
Does volunteering at my local hospital count? Although I don't necessarily talk to any Radiographers I still get patient contact?

Yes I think so - the main thing is to get experience in a patient facing setting I gather, and understand what it's like to work in the NHS.

Also spending time at your local hospital, you may get the opportunity to speak with some of the radiographers there - and that might lead to shadowing opportunities :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Sanji.m

My daughter had no luck whatsoever when trying to arrange a week of work experience for radiography. However, when she changed her approach and asked for a day's or half a day's shadowing experience, the hospitals were much more willing to accommodate her. Use every contact you have to get your foot in the door if the official channels don't work.

Your shadowing experience will help you understand the role and if you can't get any watch a few 'Day in the life of a DR' videos on Youtube. Your work/volunteering experience can be anything in a public-facing role and, for your personal statement (and your interviews), you need to relate your experience to the NHS values and 6 Cs:

https://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/en/nhs-staffing-pool-hub/working-in-healthcare/what-are-the-nhs-values

https://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/nhs-staffing-pool-hub/working-in-healthcare/the-6-cs-of-care
Original post by Sanji.m
What are the pros and cons of this career?

Great career with lots of opportunities!
Pros: :happy2:

Diagnose broken bones

Discover uncovered illness

Work anywhere in the world.

Good Salary opportunities

Rewarding career

Cons: :cry2:

Paperwork

Hard to gain work experience

Demanding days (lots of standing)

Demanding schedules

Good Luck!