The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamesubrown
What A-Levels are you going to do?

I did the IB - maths, history, English, chemistry, physics, theory of knowledge and french.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get AAAA ---> Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Imperial ---> Pick up work experience in banks ie. back office roles/spring weeks (network well here; make the right contacts) ----> at uni: do a few extra curriculars i.e. positions of responsibility, student journalism, Model U.N, AIESEC, start up a business and turn a profit (the hardest, but most respected), part time job, finance/investment/entrepreneur society, Traders society etc (just some example, there are better ones I am sure.) -- join it and do something credible and tangible, maintain a 60% minimum average, of course a 1st ALWAYS looks better than hitting the minimum 2.1 ----> 2nd year apply for internships ---> hopefully land an internship with a BB/2nd tier firm ---> convert internship into an offer/otherwise leverage the experience and apply to all other banks which will surely yield an offer in investment banking. Graduate with a 1st/2.1 Note: investment banking is a very broad field, you need to find out which role you think is the best fit for you i.e. sales/trading, research, IBD, private wealth, operations, risk management, finance, technology etc Just something I threw together based on observation and successful candidates I personally know or on TSR.
Original post by uthinkilltellu
prove me wrong my friend, prove me wrong...

6 years later after your claim that Leicester uni wasn't good enough to get into FO.
Looking at the uni now (runners up later year behind Birmingham and i think its 11th or 12th) would a person be likely to have a chance of getting into FO and be an attractable candidate with a Econ Degree 2:1 or 1:1.

Regards,

Yonnatan
I have a 3rd from a Poly Technic and £10,000 in savings
what are my options ? to get into IBD in the next 6 years ?
Original post by yonnatan9007
6 years later after your claim that Leicester uni wasn't good enough to get into FO.
Looking at the uni now (runners up later year behind Birmingham and i think its 11th or 12th) would a person be likely to have a chance of getting into FO and be an attractable candidate with a Econ Degree 2:1 or 1:1.

Regards,

Yonnatan

haha you waited 6 years to post that ??? well done bro you showed him
Original post by PrincePauper
A case of the blind leading the blind here....

:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:
Taking the risk of asking for advice here; but would appreciate what some people already in consulting think towards my profile:
Cambridge Mathematics - 2:1 Predicted
Tech start-up internship - doing software development/testing but taking part in and contributing to lots of internal meetings as well as preparing and presenting a demo for a potential client which then became a client.
And now have an internship at a small (10-15 employees) but established (5+ years continued success) strategy consultancy for 10 weeks this summer.
I hold a non-presidential/treasurer position in a college student union, and am on the student board.

What's holding me back from MBB and tier 2 strategy consultancies (Booz, Oliver Wyman, OC&C, LEK etc.)? None of these even took me to interview this year. I'll be getting advice to improve my CV/cover letter further (but I hear most of these companies don't look at cover letters) - but what could I be missing, what could I do more/better to increase my chances?
Would I be able to get a job in this field (though I don't know much about it/what I actually want to do with my life)? Or a City job of some kind??

GCSEs: 8A*s, 2As
AS: 3As 1B, predicted A*AA for A-level but currently half way through exams and AAA is looking more likely
Due to go to Warwick in September to do a four year international management degree with year 3 spent in industry.
Original post by the_wallflower
Would I be able to get a job in this field (though I don't know much about it/what I actually want to do with my life)? Or a City job of some kind??

GCSEs: 8A*s, 2As
AS: 3As 1B, predicted A*AA for A-level but currently half way through exams and AAA is looking more likely
Due to go to Warwick in September to do a four year international management degree with year 3 spent in industry.

The sooner you figure out what you want to do with your life/what career to pursue, the better prospects you'll have in that so do that soon. Warwick will gear you up for entering IBs/any other finance jobs.
Agree with Szmessh,

Sooner you figure out what you want in life (personal / professional) the better off you'll be all around. More importantly, however, I don't think it comes to just a few set of variables such as exact grades and subject of stufy.

My immediate advice to you is meet people in the business asap.
(edited 9 years ago)
Studying A level: Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics. Potentially going to study Chemical Engineering or Physics at degree level at either the University of Bath or University College London, then hoping to get into IB by completing a spring week and then going on to apply for a summer internship at an IB. Is this a suffice way to get into Investment banking? :smile:
I suggest starting to network now. The sooner the better. And go beyond reading the usual material. Blogs like theibanker.com give you good insight into the world of IB that you don't find on bank websites and elsewhere. It helps you get into their heads.
Original post by Olliek33
Studying A level: Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics. Potentially going to study Chemical Engineering or Physics at degree level at either the University of Bath or University College London, then hoping to get into IB by completing a spring week and then going on to apply for a summer internship at an IB. Is this a suffice way to get into Investment banking? :smile:

Outline is good but you'll need to do a lot in terms of ECs, leadership, volunteering, travel etc. To make you stand out.
How important is A level maths when trying to get into Investment Banking?
Original post by Chazter
How important is A level maths when trying to get into Investment Banking?

Not that important for investment banking (not for pure IBD at least, it is for other divisions) but is important for top universities which will help you break into investment banking.

If you still have a choice, it is recommended you do A Level Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2815
A-Levels:

Maths: A*
FM : A*
Physics:A
Chemistry:A
english lit:a (AS)

Studying MSc in Mathematics at Bristol. At the end of first year, I have averaged 75% overall.

Do I have a chance at IB? Where would I be best applying for internships?
Original post by md123
A-Levels:

Maths: A*
FM : A*
Physics:A
Chemistry:A
english lit:a (AS)

Studying MSc in Mathematics at Bristol. At the end of first year, I have averaged 75% overall.

Do I have a chance at IB? Where would I be best applying for internships?

Quite definitely, it would seem. You're also at a semi-target which is another advantage in your favour. Banks come to your university for career fairs, make the best of networking opportunities you get with them. Look on company websites for internship opportunities in the areas of banking you're most interested in. Your quantitative background is likely to suit roles in Risk Management, S+T etc...
Reply 2817
(Removed for privacy).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by WSL
I am about to enter my final year at university, and only learnt that IB was an option very recently (previously assumed it was open to finance students only.) Have long standing interest in finance (used to audit accounting lectures at uni purely out of interest and despite not being able to register for exams). Very passionate about IB, but no finance background and no financial experience. Would I be stupid to throw myself into graduate programme applications, take a big risk, and hope for just one IB to say yes?

Secondary school academic record:
GCSE: 11 A* 5 A
OCR Additional Mathematics: A
'A' level: A*A*A*A (Chemistry, Biology, English Literature, Extended Project)

University details:
University College London (UCL)
MSci Neuroscience
About to enter final year. Taken a lot of maths/stats modules so I would classify this as a numerate degree.

Other possibly relevant information:
Attended Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG) Insight Day
2-week placement in NHS management (but this was back at secondary school...)
Good knowledge about finance, mainly gleaned from books I peruse in my spare time
Considering taking an online IB course?
Volunteered at hospitals since 16, taught classes at secondary schools, Student Welfare Representative at UCL, member of Investment and Finance societies, voluntary teacher with NEBP.
Currently looking for financial work experience in the finance division of an overseas company -- hopefully I'll get a little lucky.

Is there any point trying for graduate programmes? I only need one place to say yes, and I'm prepared to get a lot of rejections... :frown:

You should probably shift your focus into getting some form of internship (off-cycle?) rather than applying for graduate programmes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2819
Original post by will2348
You should probably shift your focus into getting some form of internship (off-cycle?) rather than applying for graduate programmes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay. Although aren't internships just as competitive to secure as graduate positions (if not more)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending